13 replies to this topic

#1 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMaple Ridge, B.C. , Canada

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

I am having trouble deciding between 3 different mech builds. I know some of you enjoy analyzing builds and providing feedback, so I will put these 3 balistic builds out there that I am interested in.
Which do you think is the best of the 3?

HBK-4G (dual ac5's build) -reliable
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...539e1cc1dce0a57

HBK-4G (uac5 build) - a little more energy hitting power
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4bd9a89718f709c

TBT-7K (uac5 build) - speed & diversity
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f1aebdd65d54d45

#2 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

No point in using XL engines in a HBK, esp not in a Hunchback with the hunch.
No reason to have a MG other than the lulz

For regular AC5 build maybe
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5af59cb4f863458
can drop some armor from the legs and the extra DHS to get the AMS back

In the UAC build might as well switch to the HBK-4H unless you are gonna fully utilize those 3 ballistic slots, and once again i feel the MG is a waste. And a UAC doesnt really have the damage of a main weapon, might want to try a AC10 or lbx 10

Not experienced with trebuchets so dont really know there.

No need to fill every hardpoint

Edited by kevin roshak, 03 March 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#3 Wittyname Terribad

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Were I to run the Hunchback, I'd want to avoid the XL...something like this build has functionally the same firepower as your first build, but uses a standard 250 to increase surviveability. Ultras are really best in multiples, so it wouldn't be the way I'd go on a medium platform. In that vein, I'd run this TBT-7K, more reliable firepower and some punch that can fire all day long while moving at full speed with no heat issues

#4 Eumenes

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 77 posts
  • Locationof Cardia

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Some good advice so far...

Dual AC/5 is going to be more reliable, the UAC jam mechanism just has it out for me and I refuse to monkey with the shot timing macros. Paired AC/2's is fun and actually works pretty well for harassing lights - the projectile speed is enough to counter lag shield. A single AC can work too, but going for an AC/20 or Gauss can be unforgiving - you just don't have the mass to carry a lot of ammo.

#5 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Go with the Trebuchet, but the loadout still sucks. Large Laser or PPC would be a better option than the pulse.

Single SSRM2 is not worth it. Drop it. Ammo placement on all your designs needs tweaking.

#6 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Thank you so much for the replies and advice so far!!!

A few suggestions have been very similar to some of my other mech builds and I want a little bit of diversity. Removing UAC5 from contention - would love to have dual UAC5's but just can't seem to make it work in any medium (and can't get a reasonable build with them in Yen-Lo-Wang with crippling it's speed). Working on revisions...

View PostSpheroid, on 03 March 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

Go with the Trebuchet, but the loadout still sucks. Large Laser or PPC would be a better option than the pulse.
.... Ammo placement on all your designs needs tweaking.

Been ripping it up with 2xLPLs on one of my Dragons - pulse does really well against lights for me (vs. non)...
Ammo plalcement - is the idea to not have more than one ammo in each leg (and case if in torso)?

#7 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostRedwo1f, on 03 March 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Been ripping it up with 2xLPLs on one of my Dragons - pulse does really well against lights for me (vs. non)...
Ammo plalcement - is the idea to not have more than one ammo in each leg (and case if in torso)?

The ten tons you have in the Dragon over the Hunchback make quite the difference. Unless you have your heart set on the HBK-G I would go with the HBK-4SP, best medium imo, and surely the best HBK chassis.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...34e4aaf4c6a1735

#8 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

How about none of the above?
The better ballistics mechs are the cataphract and atlas, even a dragon or catapult would be better.
IMO ballistics don't belong on 50 ton mechs, but that is just me.
Hunchbacks are in a bad place right now, cataphracts are just as fast with more armor and weapons.

#9 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

dump the machine guns in all those builds. it's still garbage, just another waste of tonnage and potential source of ammo explosion

also, xl engine in the G/H/J/P hunchbacks is asking to die quick

Edited by p00k, 03 March 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#10 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

Just so you guys know my overall objective - I will "expert" the medium mech chasis of the ballisitic mech build I like the best, so it is pretty important to me (Dragon is my heavy and already experted). I will make other variants more missile based or energy based as the other variants mandate. I already have an HBK-H (which I actually didn't like until I took out the Gauss I had in it (not a fan) and put in 2 PPCs and sped it up. I also have a Centurion AL which I really like because I made it a very versitile mech - so both of those chasis have a head start (actually have a Cicada as well, but won't expert it)...don't have a Treb yet. Call me silly, but I like different flavors to my mechs - don't want to make my stable full of very similar builds.

I've actually redid 6 builds that I think are decent (2x AC5 variants of the HBK-G, CN9-D, and TBT-7K as well as 2x AC2 variants for them too). Will probably post my 3 favorite of them for your scrutiny (once I figure that out)...wish I could play around with a dual AC2 mech to see if it is my cup of tea (part of the reason why I suggested a "testing ground" mode in the developer's suggestion forum)...anyways, more to come later...and thanks again for feedback.

I

Edited by Redwo1f, 04 March 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#11 loliza

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

View Postkevin roshak, on 03 March 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

and once again i feel the MG is a waste. And a UAC doesnt really have the damage of a main weapon, might want to try a AC10 or lbx 10

Must be trolling lbx 10 is worthless you dont want your 10 dmg spread out over 5-6 hitboxes

Also dual uac5's is really good however if you jam youre in a pickle :D

on a last note you should listen to the players above that stated hunchies and mediums in general is not great ballistic mechs

Edited by loliza, 04 March 2013 - 03:51 AM.

#12 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

yes, i hear some of you calling against a ballistic medium build - but like I said, of the 3 variants, 1 is going to be a more ballistic build. I dropped the Hunchback - just not fast enough and the hunch is just too vulnerable.
Revised workings (the top 3 of the 6 I worked on):

CN9-D 2xAC2 build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb0f4b367ff4116

CN9-D 2xAC5 build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d867a7284f6c8e4
**srm-2 could be replaced with AMS (not sure here (?)) - but dam if I lose that right arm.

TBT-7K 2xAC5 build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6c25f529c9c973a

Is my ammo placement better?
Leaning slightly towards one of the CN9-D builds. Thoughts on the best of these 3?
Thanks for putting up with me...and again, thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Redwo1f, 04 March 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#13 Runenstahl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationLyran Commonwealth (Germany)

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

The remark the bigger mechs are better seems somewhat weird to me. Of course they are. But they are also slower and (depending on how the matchmaking will eventually work) may give the enemy team heavier mechs too.

Personally I dusted off my centurion a few days ago and I'm having some success with XL-engines in it. Yes, you die when one of your side torso's is blown away and there might be a small chance to die through critical hits even before it's destroyed. But honestly... once a side torso is gone your usually not far behind anyways.

And I found that the combination of more speed and more free tonnage (= more firepower) is a rather good one. Critspace wise it doesn't really take up that much... 6 more then a regular engine, but if it happens to be bigger you can also store more of those double heat sinks in the engine.

As for your centurion builds: it always comes down to what YOU like better. I prefer streaks on my centurions and usually make sure to use every single weapon hardpoint (usually two small weapons are better then a single large one).

#14 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

Unless you boat loads of small caliber AC's, imho they are quite worthless. I'd rather place an AC 20 or a GR in a medium than dual ac's of any sort (besides dual UAC5, but it's virtually undoable for 50 ton mechs). Yes I know a GR is a near-to-suicidal, but I'd rather place it and live with the consequences than feel to spit out pea bullets :).

XL's: next to any XL on mediums is rather suicidal, unless you chose it for speed; by this the only candidates are CN9D and Trebuchets with 295 to 300 rated engines or higher. No HBK can do good with such a kind of engine, best engines should be 250 STD (or higher when possible), otherwise 225/235's if you really need that extra weight always paired up with endo and DHS.

Cents can achieve decent builds with STD 275's too, mostly energy and srm ones.

Ammo placement in your builds is fine, except the use of case in the dual AC2 CND build. keep in mind ammo depleting cycle is
HEAD>CT>RT>LT>RA>LA>RL>LL.
By this you can also take the hazard to place 1 ton of ammo in your CT or in one of the side torsoes, provided you make sure you've used it all up once things get hot otherwise case up with STD engines or go head/legs. Screw case with xl's, no matter what happens, you'll blow up anyway. Case prevents damage to spread to the CT, but the section will go off anyway, if you have a XL engine, the ammo explosion will kill you with or without case.

Also regarding that build, I'd rather take away artemis and the single SRM6 to go with dual SRM4 with 1 extra ton of ammo, if you really need dual AC2's on that thing. Do they charge you? You've got a nice 30 dmg alpha, and much more concentrated spread than that single SRM6+Artemis: CN9-D

Edited by John MatriX82, 04 March 2013 - 08:16 AM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users