Which Engine For Ctf 4 X ?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Th0rsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

As I wanted to use all balistic hardpoints on the 4x I am carrying 4ac5 right now using the std210 engine( no other weapons, only ammo).

A larger std engine is more or less out of the question as I don't want to carry less ammo, nevertheless positioning with a speed less than 50 is challenging.

I have really mixed feelings about xl engines in non light mechs, but here it might actually be worth it. What are your experiences with the 4x?

#2 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

Depends entirely on your engagement range, I preferred the standard engine on the 4X simply because I ended up much closer to the firefight than with my favourite (the 3D sniper) so was a lot more vulnerable to torso shots, there were a lot of games where I came through with only half a mech using the 4 AC/5 build.

If you are able to keep your distance then the XL engine is great, makes the Cata just maneuverable enough to relocate effectively when need be but that's only useful if you have the weapons to back it up. Popping out then relocating is great fun if you can get a decent alpha in the exposed time.

#3 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

Go pick up XL255 straight away. If you're going for XL why not make it the fastest? If I recall correctly - since I boat 4xAC2 on my 4X now instead of AC5 - you should be able to carry 4xAC5 plus six tons of ammo at least, with 2xML and AMS.

Just remember to keep your distance. Low-damage Ballistics don't perform that well up close anyway.

#4 Th0rsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

You are almost right, using a XLI could stuff in 2ml, 6 tons of ammo and case.

comparing it with the build using std210. I still got mixed feelings about this but I think it's just a matter of personnel preference.

#5 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

You know what else dies faster? A turtling chunk of steel.

I always say this when comes to 4X XL-engine-die-fast bullsh*t.

#6 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e5e7491102ab4e

#7 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

If you're going to be using a loadout as heavy as the quad AC/5s, I don't see how you could carry enough ammo without an XL engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users