A dragon is going to win for sure.

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

IIRC, the stock dragons don't need help. Both catas Catapults have stock build issues that makes anyone lol.

Edited by Deathlike, 04 March 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#23 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Anyone else notice that they don't say the 'best' loadout; only the 'winning' load out.

I'm going to submit the most worthless heavy build possible, and there's a good chance it could win, because if they keep to the tradition of having garbage trial mechs, the winner will be the worst - not the best - loadout. (while also filling out the hardpoints and weight).

Behold: the Short-sighted Dragon.

I'm practically guaranteed to win.

EDIT: Gentlemen! I give you the ASSISTOTRON-6000

Edited by Sable Dove, 04 March 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#24 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 04 March 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

BROCERATOPS submits this 100% ORIGINAL DESIGN BY BROCERATOPS - THE NO-SKILLCAT for the contest talked about in creative director content update.

There I fixed it for you :P

#25 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

Catapult L4

Hardpoints; ENERGYx2 (LA, RA), BALLISTICx3 (1 in Head 2 in CT)

AC2 x2 in the CT ballistic hardpoints, 3rd one in the head. 2 medium lasers, 1 in each arm.

load it to the brim with DHS (12 external), 4 tons of AC2 ammo in legs, XL 225. full armor on everything but legs, which have 49 points each.

Enjoy the dakkapult.

Edited by Monky, 05 March 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#26 Stoicblitzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

i hope you win this contest too. i hate you broceratops.

#27 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Now you're just being silly.

It'll obviously be this!

#28 Chou Senwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

I'd kinda like to see the Poor Man's Marauder.

It's a Cataphract that is almost the same as a default Marauder, but with 1 fewer heat sink, a little less internals, and only a few points of armor on the head because, well, the 'phract head hitbox is unfairly small. Might as well abuse it.

If I actually wanted to make a playable stock mech, I'd go for the Rich Man's Marauder.

#29 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

Shouldn't it be the Raven 3L with MLas, Streaks, and ECM?

Really that's the only way to introduce pilots into the game.

#30 Co Ward

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

I think what this game is missing from trial mechs is an urban mech so i made one.

I call it the UrbanSpider.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...706dc687801e6b7

#31 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Where's the link to this contest? One up yet?

#32 Golfin Man

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 162 posts
  • Locationyour flank

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

I know people complain about the trial mechs, and many of them are trash, and basically all of them are hotboxes. The one thing about them is they teach you that you have to watch your heat. When teaching someone how to play the game, wouldn't you want to have a build that makes it very clear how important your heat is? You could say the opposite would be better, but at least in my mind if you learn how to manage a crappy build well, you will have the skillset to become very proficient at a more reasonably upgraded build. That being said most people in trials don't understand this, and just overheat once and then alpha overheat twice more as they are ripped apart by the enemy. Maybe someday there could be a way of matching trials with other trials, but then trolls would just hop in the best trial and go nub stomping for the hell of it.

I just think of the the trial HBK-4J (yes its hilarious), with 2 LRM 10s and (I think) 6 med lasers. This was pre-ECM so it was easy to unload the 2 tons of ammo for some free damage before the main fight. It was slow as all hell and was bad on heat, but if you were positioned correctly the 6 lasers would scare people away fairly easily. This was after I had a good amount of playing experience, so my opinion of the effectiveness of the trial mechs is biased. Plus right now we have two of the most ridiculous ones yet (imo), the ac2, lrm10, med laser dragon and the 2 med laser cicada. Again applying my philosophy, the dragon would implore one to stay at long range, and the cicada would require lots of hit and run attacks. In theory it makes sense, if they average trial player could intuitively figure these things out, but they way this game plays it seems as though those are things you need to be told or learn over many, many matches. The latter becomes a problem in that trial players don't necessarily want to play for hours, and if they do not learn quickly these mechs are basically useless against even moderately armed,half skilled opponent.

Anyway, a lot of the things people have mentioned are good ideas, particulary the ones suggesting the builds be semi-heat efficient using only standard heat sinks/engines, with varying weapons systems. Some things to keep in mind beyond that is to stick to more simple weapons, ie med/large lasers, srms, etc. Focus on mid range builds, with no more than three weapon groups. Avoid very longe range weapons like er ppcs/ac2s, or weapons like mgs, flamers, etc. I remember a long time ago someone mentioning the 4SP as a good first mech, as it is very simply arranged but is very effective.

#33 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

I give you my totally untested theory craft submission.

(Maryline)

CPLT-K2

My budget design

CTF-4X Cheese Grater

CTF-4X Ugly for cheap

Edited by ManDaisy, 07 March 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#34 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

The Mix Range Medium - HBK-4SP

Edited by Ngamok, 07 March 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#35 Strig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

@Broceratops

Nice try, but you will never kill anything with that mech. I mean you have to be nearly within flamer range to even hit stuff, you'll get torn before you can even fire ... and even if you don't, what happens if a light mech closes the distance and actually starts using flamers ?!?!?

Next.

#36 Mr G

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

This could be a decent build for new players to try. Not fast, but not slow either. Has large lasers for a bit of range and the ac20 for close up. plus streaks just for the hell of it, granted ecm would shut those down, but they'll help against fast moving mediums and non ecm lights.

<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=42&l=53b13ea613059c360fb80d9cc9622265bce57a3a">CTF-2X</a>

#37 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

So ye're going to turn PGI's attempts to let us fix one of the big forum complaints ('bad' trial 'Mechs) into a venue for airing your snark and grievances over another of the big forum complaints (Splats/boating)? Awesome. Let's make sure they never do this again, because Lord knows PGI doesn't have enough reasons to just absolutely despise its player base yet.

I get it. Sarcastic thread is sarcastic. Perhaps, maybe, just possibly, this game could do with a little less cynicism, sarcasm, and mean-spirited dev-sniping and just a little more patience and constructive feedback? Because frankly, every time I wander into GD here, it makes me wonder why they're even still making this game. After all, every single player in this particular forum seems to have no goal in mind beyond producing as much vitriol and hatred as possible. That's just what any dev team needs to succeed!

#38 deforce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 616 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

here is the mech that has no cheese, but it has all the food groups. because running anything else is CHEESE, lets rock this. i think the heat efficiency is in line with the old trial awesomes that packed on ERPPC's before the heat buff.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cfefe22557b981a

#39 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

ammo in the legs... ammo in the legs everywhere....

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users