painting mechminis

42 replies to this topic

#1 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Hi guys!

Not sure about this mech paint stuff, done a few in my times. But intrested has sparked to life after seeing this game on da road,so i thought what the hell, maybe there is intrest out there following me down the road as i finish these minis.

first step was to put a base coat on the 5 mechs i am doing at once.I used a black spraypaint from citadel color called Chaos Black,i will continue to add posts after each step i take in this work.

Posted Image

#2 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:46 AM

ok..2nd step added some highlights using citadels Blood Red color

Posted Image

#3 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:25 AM

its ok not bad why not add some cockpit jeweling

#4 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

This might start some drama but uh...

Don't ever prime with anything except stark white. Ever. Forever. Seriously, it'll make colors more vibrant and it'll make it easier to see all the details and shading of the model.

#5 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

looking good so far (although the feet are backwards...). Lahyenne is correct white primer really makes colors *pop*, but i've found that can be hit or miss as far as texture.

#6 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

lol..what a miss...turned footies backwards ^_^ (will try to change them the correct way asap ) well thing is mechs bodypaint will be black so figured i would use black as base

#7 Datum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

I've personally liked black primers a little better, so it naturally shades the receding areas of the mech. I tend to do a lot of layers of color, as well, so it usually works out.

#8 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

mm..actually used 2 layers of chaos black ..not sure why ,but thoguth it was not good enough the first time...swapped those Catapult feets the right way ..thx for heads up JV

#9 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

No problem, I did the same damn thing when i assembled mine originally.

#10 Zendric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

View Postlahyenne, on 01 December 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

This might start some drama but uh...

Don't ever prime with anything except stark white. Ever. Forever. Seriously, it'll make colors more vibrant and it'll make it easier to see all the details and shading of the model.

Opinion =/= Fact

How you like your minis painted is not how everyone else might like it. I for example prime all my minis black.

#11 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

View PostDatum, on 01 December 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

I've personally liked black primers a little better, so it naturally shades the receding areas of the mech. I tend to do a lot of layers of color, as well, so it usually works out.

It does make shading easier, but there is a simple workaround by using an ink or a wash. These can get you easy shading without the negative effects of a black primer.

View PostZendric, on 01 December 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

Opinion =/= Fact

How you like your minis painted is not how everyone else might like it. I for example prime all my minis black.

Opinion? Colors being more vibrant and saturated over a white base isn't an opinion - it's a question of pigments. The same goes for being able to see details. A fig that is primed white will make it easier to see the physical aspects of the model. Identifying really small details in a sculpt with black primer (even worse a glossy black primer) is way more difficult.

You can try these things out at home and observe them yourself. The only time I could see an advantage for black primer is when you're painting something that is predominantly black, although even then I would highly advise against it.

Edit: Also, because /tg/ would never let me live this down: thin your paints!

Edited by lahyenne, 01 December 2011 - 08:50 PM.

#12 Shadoe Ryder

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

Ahh the great debate..black or white primer. I know painters who swear by both as well as those who prime grey. Personally i prefer white simply because i find it easier to darken a mini than to lighten one. As long as the end result is pleasing to the eye it doesn't really matter what you case coat with.

As for any advice I would have to second the advice of thin your paints. more thinner coats as opposed to fewer thicker coats.

#13 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

What is a good primer? Aside GWs stuff Due to... reasons i try to not buy their stuff... their staff tried to upsell my 350 dollar purchase to a 600 one by buying their 'complete space marine set' and I kind of almost just left there. I work retail, fully understand up selling. But to try to tack on 250 more dollars? Pushing your luck. Even told the store clerk, You are lucky I have looked in the city and no one else has this box set.

#14 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

I've used Krylon and simple spray paint to prime my minis and I'm pleased with the results. I do like the Catapult's progress so far.

#15 Major Crash

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationCentral U.S.

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

Some good painting videos here. Many will give their reccomended paints/primers & such throughout the videos.
I recently dug out 4 cases of my minis and am doing,(trying), the Cockpit Jeweling down towards the bottom. Not going to do them all, but the fav's are getting the treatment. Looks awesome.
http://camospecs.com/Article.asp

#16 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Ah camospecs ^_^ songuru was looking into more videos

#17 Major Crash

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationCentral U.S.

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

Theres a German guy, Michael H. who does some fantastic minature work. He's got a Mackie & several other BT figures in his Gallery. I love some of his cockpit jeweling also. Give him a quick look at:
http://www.darklined.com/

#18 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

Here one I did awhile ago, its a custom mod and mech I made call it the shadow wolf
http://media.mybattl...ge.php?pid=3960

#19 Major Crash

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationCentral U.S.

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

Planning on decals? You must try this Micro-Sol decal softener. Its just amazing how it lets the decal relax over irregular surfaces like these cast/injected mini's. Looks like they are painted on. Where was this stuff 20 years ago. Just don't be impatient like me & try to see if dry yet by touching every 10 minutes, I destroyed 3 decals before extracting my head. Put it on & leave alone. When dry, seal and play.
Get you some House decal sheets and a bottle of this stuff, I think it was only $4 or so for the Micro-Sol:
House Decals:
http://www.fightingp...hagraphics.com/
This stuff:
http://www.microscal...Product_Count=0

#20 Shadoe Ryder

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

I use the GW primer mostly. I could get cheaper but I know the GW primer works and know I can get it easily :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users