Clarify, Once And For All, How The C-Bill Flush Allows Two Uses Per Match

244 replies to this topic

#81 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Where is the connection between mechs with more module slots be able to call more airstrikes and flush more coolant?

I think it represents the pilots and his groups battlefield capabilities. Why not have an uniform amount of consumable slots available to any mech?

Is that something thats being considered?

#82 Krazyjim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 05 March 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

No. Arty and Air Strikes work differently.

Paul is going to post the details shortly.

Here's some highlights.
  • There are cooldown timers. Cooldown timers make sure there is a space between shots and prevents a team coordinating a single massive strike.
  • CB Version does more damage but is slower to target. 10,000 CB
  • Version does less damage but is faster to target. 25
  • Only one of each can be equipped.
  • Only one user per match.
  • Consumed when used.

See, This is the stuff we want! this makes things seem a WHOLE lot better than before because it gave people the ability to speculate and scream "ZOMGWTFBBQP2WHAX!!!!!" When if you popped even this basic draft in the post, it seems very rational................. Who am I kidding, people still ***** about anything!

#83 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

View PostAdridos, on 05 March 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Depends upon the build itself.

If we'e talking about a build that really needs coolant, say a 6ppc Stalker, there is really no reason not to flush it all at at once after firing your first shot, becuase even if you flushed less, just enough to fit another alpha in and then flushed the second coolant, you'd be at the exactly same place, heat-wise, as if youflushed all of it at once.

Unless you flush coolant under 35 % of your cooling capacity (which is the lower half of the heat bar), you gain nothing by a progressive flush.

yes, but you also lose nothing since you can presumably use both at the same time for the same big effect. well you do lose the module slot, which later on is possibly a big deal but until that day comes the cbill one is a clear cut winner in my eyes because all the other modules are worse

cap accelerator = good in theory. but in thousands of games its won me maybe one game total
360 targetting = i guess if you're spotting for lrms its useful, but no one uses lrms in 8s or spots in pugs
target decay = the most useful one, but mostly if you're a light running streaks or a lrm boat
target data = that extra 1 or 2 seconds before you get a readout is going to be at most 1 shot, if not 0 shots. plus shooting them in the CT is never a bad idea.
others = totally bleh

#84 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

View PostChavette, on 05 March 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Where is the connection between mechs with more module slots be able to call more airstrikes and flush more coolant? I think it represents the pilots and his groups battlefield capabilities. Why not have an uniform amount of consumable slots available to any mech? Is that something thats being considered?

We may review this at a later date. We like to do everything in small bite sized steps, to minimize the impact of new mechanics.

#85 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostBilbo, on 05 March 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. Also, snipers really like targets that aren't moving.

Well, enjoy your lack of a module for any other practical situation. I give up, no manner of common sense is getting through today. If he has friends nearby, then you are still in a worse situation not having used the 35% cooldown right away, as you might need to make that followup shot in 1 second. this isn't hard guys, it's basic 'am I better off at high heat or low heat in a firefight' THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS LOW HEAT!

Edited by Monky, 05 March 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#86 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

View PostBroceratops, on 05 March 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

others = totally bleh

Advanced sensor range, ssrm, lrm, medium to long range, I put that **** on everything.

#87 Pale Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 786 posts

The fact that the 35% module costs MC is sufficient proof that it's better.

To test, let's simply implement the following:

You can buy the Tier 3 Consumable for $15,000 C-bills.

Then, once the Arty & Airstrike modules are out, let's see how takes the Tier 1 & 2, versus those who just take the Tier 3.

#88 Gihzmo

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationVirginia

One question on the Arty and airstrike. What kind of warning does the other team get? What is the time to splash?

#89 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostBroceratops, on 05 March 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

yes, but you also lose nothing since you can presumably use both at the same time for the same big effect. well you do lose the module slot, which later on is possibly a big deal but until that day comes the cbill one is a clear cut winner in my eyes because all the other modules are worse

cap accelerator = good in theory. but in thousands of games its won me maybe one game total
360 targetting = i guess if you're spotting for lrms its useful, but no one uses lrms in 8s or spots in pugs
target decay = the most useful one, but mostly if you're a light running streaks or a lrm boat
target data = that extra 1 or 2 seconds before you get a readout is going to be at most 1 shot, if not 0 shots. plus shooting them in the CT is never a bad idea.
others = totally bleh

You forget sensor range that allows LRMs to shoot farther, scouts to scout farther, and increases the ECM detection range.

#90 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

View PostLordBraxton, on 05 March 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

alienate and divide core fanbase complete

Core fanbase isn't reading the forums anyway.

#91 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

View PostYokaiko, on 05 March 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Still unsatisfactory.

The C-bill prices are acceptable, but MC only for an in-combat advantage gives me heartburn.

Isn't this the sort of thing that R&R was pulled over?

R&R never used MC

#92 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostMonky, on 05 March 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

So, what you're saying is, you need to fire that shot and not overheat, but will not have to dump the full amount of heat due to not having anyone else to shoot anyways......

Why not just fire and overheat?

You're not thinking any of this through. You use the dump to avoid shutdown because it's a clutch situation. If you don't need to have heat budget available, you don't need to blow a partial cooldown anyways.

what i'm saying is its one more shot, regardless of overheat or not. it can be i need 2 shots to finish, and this will give me one + the overheat shot. or more likely, i just dont want to overheat at all because the longer i'm shut down the longer it'll take me reposition myself and make me vulnerable to headshots.

nless you're running a ppc stalker, 15% is enough to get another shot off in practically any mech. all i'm saying is i'd rather have 2 instances of this than 1 instance of the big one, especially since you can still just use both to have the same effect and the only downside is i dont get to take one of the other modules, most of which are useless

#93 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 05 March 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

R&R never used MC

My point exactly.

#94 liku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostMonky, on 05 March 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

20% will get you from 100% to 80%, so you're still in cookoff/alpha overheat range.

What situation are you running through your head where shaving off 15% or 20% heat is better than 35% in any practical combat?

Let's talk, PPCS, for the instance 6 PPCS stalkers:
one alpha 2 sec wait, first cbill flush (20%) ennemy dead no shutdown.
later i wanna finish a guy but ^know that
A° i will prevent shutdown overiding and i'm gonna die or take severe internals anyway :second flush save my life
B° i chain fire, use my flush, overide and finish my chain until the guys die (maybe i can spare one or ore shots)

I like flexibility!

Second option..i saw a guys i really really want to kill before anyone..
When you love, cost does'nt matters:
i buy my lovely coolant, spot my guys, Alpha, flush, overide,Alpha,alpha... shutdown and maybe survive...

By the way thanks for consummable, it will give some more strategy.. will i use it in my big stalker what have only 2 slots.. or do i need other modules, like targeting... nice!

Have run out of , time to say thanks and buy some more! (it will send the following signal: i enjoy you work and new srtrategy as much as i enjoy this great game, keep going! )

#95 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostMonky, on 05 March 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

So, what you're saying is, you need to fire that shot and not overheat, but will not have to dump the full amount of heat due to not having anyone else to shoot anyways......

Why not just fire and overheat?

You're not thinking any of this through. You use the dump to avoid shutdown because it's a clutch situation. If you don't need to have heat budget available, you don't need to blow a partial cooldown anyways.

Because excessive heat and overheating is supposed to have negative effects on your 'Mech.
Something that I really, really hope the Devs start to implement into this game, because this place has already turned into Alpha-Strike: Online, the addition of coolant flushes is only going to make things worse...

#96 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 05 March 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Large Coolant Flush
  • 25 per use.

This seems somewhat problematic.
While, at first glance, this seems like a small investment... you're talking about between 9 and 13 cents per flush, depending on how large a chunk of MC you purchased.

But this means that, if you were to use such a thing every game once, then you're talking about paying a dollar every 10 games.

Do most folks play more than 10 games a day? I know I do. So, over the course of a month, you're talking about over $30, just in MC cost for this little nothing addition... presumably, more useful additions would be even more expensive.

I think that this may cause problems... I'd rather not have that kind of thing creep into my decision making in game. I'd rather not have my actions so directly tied to real money like that.

If I could purchase such a thing for a chunk of money, and then just own it like I do other modules... be able to plug it into different mechs, use it once every game after I unlocked and bought it... then I wouldn't feel so bad (assuming that folks could unlock and get the same thing via non-MC, which is a separate issue).

But the idea of being forced to spend MC every single time I want to engage in a particular action in game, is not a pleasing notion to me as a user.

Not only does it make me not want to spend money on that feature, but it makes me less likely to spend money on OTHER features of the game... and this comes from someone who has already spent quite a lot of money on your game.

Really, I should be your easiest target customer at this point. I have lots of disposable income... I enjoy the game.. my friends play it.... and I've already cleared the initial hurdle of making the first purchase. And yet this newest decision has made it distasteful to the extent that I question whether I want to purchase things in the future, out of fear that I may be locking myself into a game where I will one day NEED to pay more money just to compete.

This is a poor place to be.

#97 borisof007

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, California

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

The fires of rage, I can feel them slowly cooling.

Thank you Bryan for personally replying to me on Twitter. I do appreciate it when you do : )

I try not to be a doomsayer, I promise! This just caught everyone off guard I think.

#98 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

In class, Mike and I are sparring. Mike hits like a truck, but I'm faster. I beat Mike 9/10 times because I can hit him before he gets on target and knocks me on my ***. Sound familiar Bryan?

#99 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

View Postborisof007, on 05 March 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

The fires of rage, I can feel them slowly cooling. Thank you Bryan for personally replying to me on Twitter. I do appreciate it when you do : ) I try not to be a doomsayer, I promise! This just caught everyone off guard I think.

You are very, very welcome! Thanks for being so passionate!

#100 ilovekatyperry

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

this seems like p2w

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users