Ability To Change Draw Distance? '-'

14 replies to this topic

#1 TankHamsta

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

As a low spec player, the game will simply refuse to render any enemy mech ~1,000 meters+ (sometimes seems like they won't even show up at ~900+ meters) even when using heat vision.
Meanwhile enemy mechs who has better systems & higher settings can see and shoot at me with weapons such as gauss/AC/weapons that has 1k+ max range/etc)
'-'

Me would like the ability for players to be able to set their max draw distance so that players with lower spec systems aren't at a disadvantage to those with better systems.
.-.

A good example be in River City, where the upper spawn can clearly see (& shoot) whether the lower spawn enemies go towards the right/water if they has a good system & have higher settings.

Meanwhile, me has to literally stand on the edge of the cliff & hope that the enemies walk closer towards the water so that they actually render for me.

#2 Dustein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 357 posts
  • LocationX: -304.07 Y: 291.54 (Lyran Alliance - Australia)

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

View PostTankHamsta, on 11 February 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

As a low spec player, the game will simply refuse to render any enemy mech ~1,000 meters+ (sometimes seems like they won't even show up at ~900+ meters) even when using heat vision.
Meanwhile enemy mechs who has better systems & higher settings can see and shoot at me..

..would like the ability for players to be able to set their max draw distance so that players with lower spec systems aren't at a disadvantage to those with better systems.
+1

I have mentioned this before and think it is even more important now with ECM and Larger maps. As well as the issue of being shot from distances outside of the Low End user Draw Distance, it also means that attempting to scout with low setting in ny on impossible (that ECM lance is ~900m away? you are standing on a hill with perfect over watch? Sorry you cannot see them due to Low Graphic settings!).

I know this is BETA and not everything is in yet so I just hope it s something that is being looked at being implemented SOON rather than down the track; as we are being affected by the lack of draw distance control NOW as players.

For people who need clarification I point out that what is needed is the draw distance of 'MECHS not terrain (terrain draw distance is fine IMO atm). I would like to see a slider that you can set the Draw Distance of 'Mechs thus allowing Low System Spec players to still be competitive in the ECM / Large map environment (and IMO would improve game play on all maps even with non ECM allowing for improved sniping / counter sniping).

#3 MrPlow254

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 83 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

Seems like you mention a fix in your statement. If you have the money upgrade your computer. Else don't complain in a forum for a system overhaul of the game to fix your local problem.

#4 VonRunnegen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

He is within the spec guidelines so should be able to play on a level playing field, if a little less prettily. This isn't it So it is a bug, not a 'feature'

Edit: Got linked here from another thread of someone complaining about this, with spec listed. Actually no idea about the OPs spec, but the point still stands

Edited by VonRunnegen, 22 February 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#5 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

I think thats the point behind the distance blur for the higher settings. Which I found out recently is possible to turn off. They could not allow this to be turned off. Then again, at lower settings the weather and even foliage isn't as obstructing.

Thermal works for me at any range on the lowest settings, and i've seen mechs drawn on alpine at over 1k, the only times I notice it not drawing mechs at 1k ish is when they are in water and usually lights.

Personally I find it easier to spot mechs at lower settings other than thermal being a bit darker.
Hopefully they will add more graphic options, like invironment detail and the distance for that, mech detail and the distance for that and then just a invironment render distance thats separate from the detail distance.

I play on a under-speced comp at low settings and a overspeced comp at the highest settings, i like the higher settings better.

#6 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

e_MaxViewDistSpecLerp = 1

1 = Use highest settings that the devs set for the map.
0 = Use lowest settings that devs set for the map.
a number inbetween 0 and 1 basically lerps. So 0.5 = HALF of the highest setting etc etc.

e_MaxViewDistance = 8000

the number is in metres afaik. So 8000 = 8000m

Add those to your user.cfg and then play around with the e_maxviewdistance one.

You can also try raising the one for vehicles etc....

e_ViewDistRatioCustom = 100

#7 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

This is the only value you need to set to 100 to see mechs on any spec. you can try just setting environment to medium or high, leave all else at low and see if that is still playable and fixes it. it should be fine unless your on a truly stoneage PC.

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 22 February 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#8 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Has anyone had any success with this? I was quite happy to see this, as getting shot from outside my draw distance on alpine was getting quite annoying, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've already set up a variety of custom stuff in my user.cfg, so I know that the cfg file itself functions (i.e. I have all of the empty cfg files in Engine/Config/CVarGroups_MWO that unlock the settings in the user.cfg). I added this line:

e_MaxViewDistance = 5000

And the following two lines were already present:

However they don't seem to have increased my mech draw distance any. After finally getting another game on alpine, I was getting shot by an ac2 sniper on top of a mountain. The mountaintop was ~1400 meters away according to my reticle, I could see his muzzle flashes (and even hit him once by aiming at them), but the mech itself was still invisible. All my other graphics settings are at the equivalent of 'high', except for object detail, which has the settings for 'very high'. Anyone know what else I need to do so that I can actually see the mechs shooting at me?

Edited by MuonNeutrino, 24 February 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#9 Ahernar

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

I encountered this problem myself , even in thermal they are invisible , works shooting at muzzleflashes -but doing so the aiming is pretty laughable . Another (little) problem is building draw distance , i see a mech, shoot it but a invisible building is blocking the shot . Maybe a VERY generic shape should be drawed at all practical distances ,like until 1500m

#10 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

How does reducing your own draw distance level the playing field?

#11 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Given the listed values and with 2 being default to maximum, I am not sure why others are being inflated so much.

e_MaxViewDistance = 5000

Maximum weapons distance is currently 1980m. So not much need to see past that. Setting it to 5k would just add stress (use unneeded buffer space perhaps) to an already stressed system, no?

And the following two lines were already present:

Again,1 is the default maximum.

isn't that 100 a percentage and also a max allowed value?

I would try e_MaxViewDistance = 1990 and see if that helps. If not goto 1979.

Edited by MaddMaxx, 26 February 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#12 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 26 February 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Given the listed values and with 2 being default to maximum, I am not sure why others are being inflated so much.

Maximum weapons distance is currently 1980m. So not much need to see past that. Setting it to 5k would just add stress (use unneeded buffer space perhaps) to an already stressed system, no?

Again,1 is the default maximum.

isn't that 100 a percentage and also a max allowed value?

I would try e_MaxViewDistance = 1990 and see if that helps. If not goto 1979.

You're not wrong, but extra draw distance helps your brain keep its virtual bearings when doing stuff like zooming.

#13 LORD ORION

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

I think the actual problem is driving a cat.

The arms on a cat get rendered at a rediculous distance, to the point of just seeing 2 tell tale dots driving along at extreme distance.

I didn't realize it until I started driving a cat this week and started to get blasted from outside of visual.

#14 TankHamsta

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostMrPlow254, on 22 February 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

Seems like you mention a fix in your statement. If you have the money upgrade your computer. Else don't complain in a forum for a system overhaul of the game to fix your local problem.

Well MrPlow254, just one problem. Me system is slightly higher than the min specs of the game yet is still disadvantaged & forces me to alter my userconfig file.

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 Ghz.

8 GB RAM
HD 5600

Either PGI has to raise their min spec or (the easier way) add a slider in game to change the view distance.

#15 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

The view distance is controlled by Object Detail IIRC. High sets it to the max view distance.

Edited by Deathlike, 19 March 2013 - 09:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users