Please, For The Love Of Common Decency, Add Profanity Filters And Option To Disable Global Chat

9 replies to this topic

#1 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

I don't know what has happened, but lately the games have been completely taken over by people who take particular delight in either insulting you, ridiculing you, trolling you, or otherwise finding some way to break down any bit of decorum we can possibly have.

Almost every game, one of the following will occur...
  • Other team wins and they follow with insults over global chat for your losing team.
  • Your team wins and they follow with insults over global chat for the other losing team.
  • Someone on your team dies and begins making vulgar remarks to the other team or specific players on the other team.
  • Someone on the other team dies and begins making vulgar remarks to your team or specific players on your team.
  • Someone on your team dies and begins making vulgar remarks to your team or specific players on your team.
  • Someone just decides to be an ***** and won't shut up because they think somehow this makes them popular in the community.
Sometimes I'll sit and play MWO with my 5-year-old son on my lap because he loves the giant stompy robots. The crap that goes across the screen is stuff I don't want him to see (he's learning to read and asks what words are). It's silly that the only reason I would have to deny him watching this is due to the horribly immature community.

Old teammates of mine don't want to get more involved with MWO because the community is so negative and nasty. Once upon a time the MW community was cordial and generally respectful of others. Now it all seems to be about how big of an a$$hat you can be. Good lord it is awful now.

As it is a "free to play" game (yeah, right), at least give us the tools to deal with the negative impact that brings with it. I don't care to tattle on people (unless there isn't much choice), but I at least want to be able to ignore them.

Suggestions:
  • Add a "Disable Global Chat" option in the settings.
  • Add a profanity filter to all chat, so you can at least be kinda safe when your own teammates decide to berate the team. Make it a setting if you like.
Surely this has been suggested before, but if so, it hasn't been taken seriously. I seriously doubt the developers want their game or community represented by those who choose to act like this.

#2 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Maybe if you fixed pug stomping there would be decorum. Just played a dozen matches. The first was all pugs lasted 9 minutes.
out of the rest 8 were over in less then two minutes with the synch droppers losing no one. the rest in under three with a couple of losses to the teams.

If you founders want people to be polite while they are being stomped by kill teams who mock the pugs from the start and finnish off with GG maybe you all should try fighting other teams instaed of stomping for dollars and peverse gratification. I will gladly tell you to put it where the sun dont shine in those instance.

Dont try to tell me your not a part of it. I have seen you. You get what you give pal.

#3 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

This is going to happen no matter where you go on the internet. Now is as good a time as ever to teach your child about things not to say, and why.

That said, I personally enjoy colourful language, so I'd rather prefer that this was a toggleable filter, unlike on the forums.

#4 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Sorry, if you have kids spend time with them not play video games. I have a aquaintance who has kids comes home from work eats dinner and sits at the computer playing video games till its time to go to bed. Kids have no idea what their father looks like because they only see the back of his head. Wife compaligns and the kids learn this is normal for moms and dads.

The other issue is why would anyone in their right mind want children watching simulated combat but have issue with language. What does that say to them? Its demented and sad. Society is just totally twisted these days. Drone stikes on innocents ok, bad words no deal.

#5 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

@Mudhutwarrior, I pug alone 99.99% of the time, so I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about with the pug-stomping. If I ever do group up, it might be with one wing for a few drops. Regarding comments, I have raged plenty of times on chat, but if I do it's usually in response to those that are taking delight in ruining the player experience. If someone is being an a$$, I do on occasion tell them I think so. I'm not particularly proud of that nor do I condone it. It's all the more reason to add such controls so people do not feel compelled to taunt or respond if they do not wish it.

While I appreciate the comments regarding my judgement as a parent, I'll leave it as I would prefer that the same level of controls that PGI provides in this forum, which, I might add, is absolutely optional to read, be committed to the game as well. The chat there is not optional to read, it's in your face as you play. Regardless of the audience that reads it, I personally do not wish to see people exchanging disgusting and overly-descriptive comments about doing whatever to so-n-so's Mom, how big of a ****sucker someone is, etc. It's almost every game, every day. It's too much, and I can't believe you people are defending it. All I want to see is a way to shut it off because it is ruining the game for myself and others too. I'm not asking to take away anyone's rights to be as big of a butt as they like.

#6 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 27 June 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

More stuff.

I'm going to guess you don't have kids, or in particular kids that are boys. Boom boom pow pow is the norm. This is the very edge of the tiniest bit of tolerable violence in very limited doses with immediate supervision and explanation. "Robots" are things that go boom boom pow pow. They aren't living things. They don't resemble weapons that a child might actually see. As a Dad it's fun that he has an interest in something I'm interested in, and we've had fun sharing it the times he's seen me play. Most of the time it's kept to my own private time when the family is asleep, away from the house, or whatever.

You seem like you have a problem with me for some reason. You are welcome to send me a PM to discuss whatever your issue may be.

Regardless, this thread was a suggestion based on precedence (i.e. the same treatment as this forum), not a place to air personal grievances.

#7 MadMike82508

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationwyoming

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

So the game has rating for it and yet you let you're 5 year old watch you play, then complain. How is bad parenting pgi's fault, no lets make a small company deal with stupid stuff that can be fixed by you, the parent.

You're kid likes giant robots huh? He likes eating crayons, would you let him eat them?

So why let him watch you play a game not mean't for a 5 year old, mind boggling right?

#8 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Christ.

Forget my child, he's none of your concern. Quite honestly the comments are offensive. I included my comment because I just wanted to emphasize that there are people on the other end of these screens that actually have real lives and they deserve the same level of courtesy and respect you should show any other random stranger in your life.

I, me, <-- this guy doesn't want to see the things that go across open chat pasted on my screen. Most of the time those things are said at the expense of others. I have friends that won't play because "It just isn't the same anymore". Friends that bought into the hype (literally) aren't spending any more money because the community has revealed itself to be a bunch of trolls.

#9 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

people can still insult you without profanity, so a filter does jack all

#10 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 27 June 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

people can still insult you without profanity, so a filter does jack all

Very true, Cap. At least the comments would require a little more thought, and I could filter out all the end-game gloating or sore losing from the other team if I wanted to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users