The Next Consumables I Would Like To See - Infantry And Armor

78 replies to this topic

#1 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Personally I would like to see infantry and armor added to the battlefield. I think the new consumable system they are implementing could be used to deploy limited AI support units. Obviously any values like cost, patrol area, deployment distance, damage, etc.. can change.

Infantry:

Infantry Types:
There are two kinds of infantry, standard and jump. A standard infantry platoon consists of 28 men armed with rifles, machine guns, and flamers. A jump infantry platoon consists of 21 men armed with laser rifles and portable SRM launchers.

Infantry Deployment:
When an infantry platoon is deployed they will seek the best available cover if possible. Standard infantry runs at 24 kph, while jump infantry jumps at 35 kph. Once they reach a position they will spread out to within 50m of that location in a circular pattern, hunker down, and hold that location for the rest of the game.

Infantry Firepower:
Both standard and jump infantry will engage any enemy within 270m. If there is more then one enemy they will chose the closest. Each man in a standard infantry platoon does .35 damage every 5 seconds. Each man in a jump infantry platoon does .52 damage every 5 seconds.

Destroying Infantry:
Each man in an infantry platoon can take 1 damage. Flamers and machine guns do triple damage to infantry.

Posted Image

Infantry Platoon:
  • Cost: 40,000 CB
  • Can only be used once per match.
  • If used, the consumable must be repurchased for the next match.
  • The platoon will seek the best available cover if any within 200m and run there
  • Infantry Platoons move at 24 kph when deploying.
  • Once in position the platoon will spread out to within 50m of that point
  • The platoon will engage the closest enemy within 270m
  • Each man does .35 damage every 5 seconds
  • Each platoon has 28 men
  • Each man can take 1 damage
Posted Image

Jump Infantry Platoon:
  • Cost: 80,000 CB
  • The platoon will seek the best available cover if any within 200m and jump there
  • Jump Infantry Platoons move at 35 kph when deploying.
  • Once in position the platoon will spread out to within 50m of that point
  • The platoon will engage the closest enemy within 270m
  • Each man does .52 damage every 5 seconds
  • Each platoon has 21 men
  • Each man can take 1 damage

Armor:

Armor Types:
There are three general types of armored vehicle you can deploy: Light, medium, and heavy. Within each category are multiple armored vehicles to chose from, each with different strengths and weaknesses.

Light armored vehicles include: The Pegasus hover tank, the J. Edgar hover tank, the Hunter tracked tank, and the Striker wheeled combat vehicle.

Medium armored vehicles include: The Bulldog tracked tank, the Drillson heavy hover tank, the Patton tracked tank, and the Rommel tracked tank.

Heavy armored vehicles include: The Ontos heavy tracked tank, the Partisan air defense vehicle the Demolisher tank, and the Von Luckner tank.

Armor Deployment:
When an armored vehicle is deployed it will begin a patrol pattern which is dependent on the type of vehicle.

Light armored vehicles will set up a circular pattern that covers an 8 km area. They will patrol this area until they are destroyed or the game ends.

Medium armored vehicles will set up a circular pattern that covers a 4 km area. They will patrol this area until they are destroyed or the game ends.

Heavy armored vehicles will set up an oval pattern that covers a 2 km area. They will patrol this area until they are destroyed or the game ends.

Armor Firepower:
All armored vehicles will seek out and engage any enemy which enters its patrol area. If they encounter an enemy outside their patrol area but within their weapons effective range they will fire upon them but will not leave the patrol area. Weapons carried correspond to their TT load-outs.

Destroying Armor:
Armored vehicles have 4 or 5 armor facings: Front, Left, Right, Rear, and in some cases Turret. Once all the armor is destroyed on a given facing and any internal damage is accrued the crew will bail out and the vehicle is destroyed. Armor values correspond to their TT values doubled.

Posted Image

Light Armored Vehicle:
  • Cost: 100,000 CB
  • The vehicle will setup a circular patrol pattern that covers an 8 km area
  • Vehicles move at their Sarna listed speed
  • They will seek out and attack any enemy in the patrol area
  • They will fire on any enemy outside their patrol area if they are in effective weapons range but will not leave the patrol area
  • Vehicles will try to stay at the most effective range for their weapons
  • Vehicles are destroyed when they take any internal damage
Posted Image

Medium Armored Vehicle:
  • Cost: 120,000 CB
  • The vehicle will setup a circular patrol pattern that covers a 4 km area
  • They will fire on any enemy outside their patrol area if they are in effective weapons range but will not leave the patrol area

Posted Image

Heavy Armored Vehicle:
  • Cost: 150,000 CB
  • The vehicle will setup an oval patrol pattern that covers a 2 km area
Conclusion:
Infantry and armor could add a lot of flavor to the battlefield and I believe the consumable system may be a good way of getting them into the game. My friend Herms came up with this idea, all I did was some typing and some fancy art in MS Paint. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Edit:Typos

Edited by Asakara, 07 March 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yes, it's crucial that we add 0.01 HP infantry to the game, rather than make bad weapons useful against actual mechs.

#3 Grrzoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

neat idea

#4 PainGod30

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

I dig, and I like how you used their chalk board slide lol. Almost comical! I imagine that those will be in eventually though. Infantry and armor would definitely add a new level. Plus you could have house specific infantry and armor types (I.E. Clan Elementals) once houses and clans get in

#5 Mongoose Trueborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

I always thought there should be a game mode that spawns armor and infantry over time and when it reaches a pre-determined strength it will leave your spawn and proceed to the enemy spawn, capping it if not stopped.

#6 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 07 March 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

Yes, it's crucial that we add 0.01 HP infantry to the game, rather than make bad weapons useful against actual mechs.

Sweep the MG's across the enemy for 2 to 12 Damage Bonus.

Destroy Infantry Battallion with 1 MG Achievement achieved.

#7 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostMongoose Trueborn, on 07 March 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

I always thought there should be a game mode that spawns armor and infantry over time and when it reaches a pre-determined strength it will leave your spawn and proceed to the enemy spawn, capping it if not stopped.

This isn't league of legends.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

This isn't league of legends.

Regardless. Infantry and Vehicles play a huge role in Battletech. They should also play a role in MWO.

#9 zverofaust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

It makes me feel bad and slightly awkward that you went through so much effort for a really bad idea.

#10 AgroAlba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Really really like it.

#11 Peg Leg Pete

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 07 March 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

Uh.... The original purpose of MG's and Flamers was for infantry.

#12 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Seems like a ton of extra models and animations that need to be implemented, which is a lot of time taken away from mech building (I assume). Have you seen how many people are grumpy that mech (20) hasn't been announced? Or with how long it takes between each mech's release? Seems like a waste.

And I'm sure everyone would love triple gauss tanks, or dual AC20 tanks wandering around.

#13 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostMerky Merc, on 07 March 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

....And I'm sure everyone would love triple gauss tanks, or dual AC20 tanks wandering around.

There would be no end to the forum rage if people were to get continually oneshotted by the AI.
I like the idea in general though.

#14 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostPeg Leg Pete, on 07 March 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Uh.... The original purpose of MG's and Flamers was for infantry.

No, the original purpose was to fit the little japanese plastic toys they'd bought. There was no infantry or tanks until much later.

Machineguns and flamers both do 2 damage, but have the seriously serious drawback of practically no range. Please don't talk about BT ever again, thank you very much. It's obvious from threads like these that you people have never touched the game, and never will.

In battletech, infantry are a serious threat to mechs, and tanks post-3030 carry mech guns, fusion engines, serious levels of armor, and are much cheaper to field than mechs. Both are dangerous, and not NPC trash you grind your hero on for loot and EXP.

#15 Tabrias07

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Cool idea, and props for all the work making the images and layout. Very well displayed.

But it's never gonna happen. It would require a ridiculous amount of work, and they don't plan to add combined arms.

>inb4 "they didn't plan to add coolant flush either"

#16 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Interesting idea...maybe something for CW way down the road.

#17 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...vs-32-answered/

TtianD: Any chance of non-mech vehicles in the (far) future? aircraft, tanks, powersuits, infantry?
A: Yes, but not as a pilot. Players will only ever be able to pilot a BattleMech.

I see it not as a question of "if" but rather one of "how".

Edited by Asakara, 07 March 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#18 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

I would love to see all these elements in game, but I can see the smaller maps getting very crowded if there were 24 mechs, 24 infantry platoons, 24 armored vehicles, and 24 air strikes going on.

#19 Funkadelic Mayhem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

A combat repair drop. Has to be dropped X from starting base, only repairs weapons with a laser beam tower attached to it.

#20 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'd love for those sorts of things, it's unlikely they'd make 12 classes of armor available for the game any time soon however.

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users