86 replies to this topic

#41 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

http://www.sarna.net...i/UrbanMech_IIC

UrbanMech IIC 2 - Introduced during the Jihad in 3070[1], the UrbanMech IIC 2 swaps the autocannon and laser for a Class 20 Hyper Assault Gauss Rifle with 2 tons of ammunition and a Flamer. BV (2.0) = 855[5]

#42 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostTeam Leader, on 08 March 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

That is actually how I ground my way to elite. It was both the most frustrating series of games in my experience here and the most extreme

Lol. I survive longer and do good damage in mine. Maybe cause no one bothers to shoot me. I am getting good at headshotting atlai while jumping over them this way. Also, I tend to scare off other lights. Admittedly the small laser is so useless.

#43 Nutlink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMountain Man!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

I don't always pilot Urbies, but when I do, I use XL/AC20 combos.

The mech would be relatively useless in this game, sure, but not all of us what the best load out possible. Some like to do it for a bit of a challenge, some like to do it because it's stylish, some have R2D2 fetishes, and quite honestly, if it stays paired up with a heavier mech and it has an AC20, it can do a TON of damaged if it's ignored while the other mech is being engaged. I'd buy every Urbie variant if they ever released it.

#44 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

It's a trash can with legs. I hope to god it never makes it into MWO.

It would be a visual travesty.

#45 SpammyV

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

The Urbanmech is to MechWarrior Online what Storm Crow is to Magic: the Gathering. Namely, the memetically awesome figure.

Except the Storm Crow isn't memetically awesome it's totally awesome and was banned in Vintage for being too good.

#46 darkfall13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

#47 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostUtilyan, on 08 March 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

You think you can kill Urbanmech? :unsure:

The hell you will. He's got a two day head start on you, which is more than he needs. Urbie gots friends in every system and planet from here to Strana Mechty, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the ULTRA AC/20 already. :D

forumers: is he really that good?

me: no he gets lost in his own mechlab...

#48 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

If there is ever cost, BV or real tonnage matching, he will be a good way to let your team take big mechs, and still give yourself a good punch.
And honestly, is there really any reason not to have him in? He would be ridiculously easy to do hit boxes for, to model, to make sure he is not OP, etc.

The Urbanmech would take the least work of any mech in the battletech universe to implement, and make so many people happy.

(There are even threads where people have redone the artwork which would make him look pretty good.)

#49 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

If you only knew the power of the urbanmech.

#50 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

View PostOdanan, on 08 March 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

The problem with the UrbanMech is: it is the most common light mech in the IS. Actually, it is the most numerous mech in the IS for all weights. So, you can't just ignore it.

But it would be indeed useless in MWO. You can't be small and slow in this game.

Well only thanks to the whole Unseen debacle. Originally the Locust and Wasp were the most produced light mechs, but since they got the Harmony Gold Axe of Power I guess that title goes to the Urbie love bug. As it stands, you would never see an Urbanmech in its stock configuration in the game, at least outside of a fanboy having giggles, as it would last all of a volley or two before going down. Low armor plus low speed does not equal endurance in MWO. Many come to post about their TT legendary matches where cheap and plentiful Urbies were match winners in a turn based game, but in a real time simulator they are just cannon fodder. Most Urbanmechs would be running around in short order with bigger engines, but then where does the cost savings come in? To me, the iconic mechs are the Unseen/Reseen, that were generally on the cover of most BT products until HG said 'off with their head'. I imagine that with the players that say they want it, sooner or later it will show up, though its funny that to make it viable most of its attributes will be changed in the mechlab. Course maybe thats how they will balance the Clans, they will only be able to take Urbanmech IIC's. :unsure:

#51 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

View PostDreamslave, on 08 March 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

And useless in this game.

Sure, It's useless on Alpine - But not in River City or anything that has reasonable terrain and tight corners.

Top speed of 120+ is useless when weaving between buildings where you'r maximum speed is more than halved.

As it's name implies, it's made for urban areas. I can see this mech with the following design:

Torso Twist: Faster than an A1
Twist Radius: 360 degrees

Now you add maps with tight corners, larger buildings than river city and areas where larger mechs cannot FIT and a Raven or Jenner will have a problem as their speed advantage is shot and they face AC/20's wihtout the advantage of speed.

It's a specialized mech and will be as useful on Alpine like an A1 without ammunition. But it is not a bad mech for it's role and it packs a punch.

A slow mech is in a bad situation like an Atlas as it cannot turn to face it's enemy, but what if you face something slow that CONSTANTLY turns to face you with ease regardless of your speed?

Edited by Terror Teddy, 09 March 2013 - 01:51 AM.

#52 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

+1 for Urbanmech

#53 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

I want one make it happen! PLZ!

#54 Anony Mouse

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSabaku no Hana, Misery, Draconis Combine

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

Posted Image

Urbies are only viable in an environment with some sort of battle value system. Wherein an urbies low BV allows them to "equate" to say an AS7-DDC on a 4:1 ratio.

Good lookin out Prosperity ;p

Edited by Anony Mouse, 09 March 2013 - 07:55 AM.
edited image ;-)

#55 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

A thought.

Do smaller engines in the tabletop require EXTRA heatsinks?

If they dont, how will they manage to create the urbanmech if the smallest standard engine requires 7 tonnes due to +6 heatsink requirement?
  • Engines with a power rating of less than 250 require extra Heat Sinks.
  • Engines with a power rating of 275 and higher provide extra slots, that take only Heat Sink (without consuming additional Critical Slots on the 'Mech).
The Spider is 30 tonnes and that sucker is tighter than a superglued virgin to fit ANYTHING.

With Endo-Steel and maximum armour the spider has 15,2 tonnes after fitting a 100 standard engine and 6 heatsinks.

And he goes at 54km/h

I have to lower armor but I CAN fit AC/10 / 1ML and AMS and 2 tonnes AC/10 ammo.

How they will manage an AC/20 with how the engine mechanics work is beyond me.

Edited by Terror Teddy, 09 March 2013 - 02:06 AM.

#56 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 08 March 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

Your engine isn't static in this game, though. You could very well alter its engine and make it move much faster.

Not much faster. There is a cap for engine size based on the stock one.

View PostBlueSanta, on 08 March 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

Please don't look at only the stock config listed on Sarna. What someone would most likely do is put a large XL in it so that it would move 90-100 KPH. It is also a small mech, essentially a turret with legs that also has JJ and 360 torso twist.

Imagine a team of 12 Urbies flying through the streets of River City...

You don't get too much extra weight for a XL in an Urbie...

#57 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

View PostTeam Leader, on 08 March 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

But you can TRY

Try in my opposing team.

#58 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

Well, the sucker works.

Frozen City map (urban area)
1 kill
2 or 3 assists
313 damage
62 match points

I do believe thought that the actual urbanmech would hav an even BETTER torso twist speed and the ability to swing 360 degrees would have helped me out against the last atlas to get all weapons to bear...all two of them but you get the point.

Still 54km is slow but with enought buildings it is fun.

But with the spider as a baseline I wondre if they CAN make the other variants with jumpjets and the like WITHOUT using endo steel -or make a lighter engine that includes the extra heatsinks as the tonnage is needed.

Edited by Terror Teddy, 09 March 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#59 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

Gauss rifle poptart with a target profile smaller than a commando it has a tiny nitch but it has one.

#60 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

It is wanted for humour purposes more so than combat effectivness. 24 Urbies running around the map.. what a day that would be.

40 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 40 guests, 0 anonymous users