Cenrurion: Why Is There No Love For It?

50 replies to this topic

#1 Peter von Danzig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

A week ago I bought my first mid mech after ages. I remebered my first days in closed beta and how much fun the centurion was those days. So I got myself a Centurion A.

I don't see many of centurions in the battlefields and I wonder why. The tripple missiles set of the Cent A makes him a perfect assassine. His center torso lasers make him dangerous to damaged mechs even if he lost his arms and torsos. I use a STD 275 which gives him a top speed of 98 kph. Pretty fine even if you want to hunt some fail lights.

My K/D ratio is 3.05, damage per game is around 400 and I made it #83 in the top gun event (Kills) on friday.

Why is there no love for the centurion?

Edited by Peter von Danzig, 09 March 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#2 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

I dunno. Personaly i Pilot 3 Variants of them with great pleasure.

Cent FTW. :unsure:

#3 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

People think the gun arm is more important than it really is.

It isn't the same as the Hunchback with one big cannon, it still has CT lasers and LT missile pods. With those it's always a threat until it's dead.

It comes down to preference: Hunch-4SP for reliability, Centurion for throwaway shields and zombie power.

Edited by Stingz, 09 March 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#4 Peter von Danzig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostStingz, on 09 March 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

People think the gun arm is more important than it really is.

I don't use mine just because a gun would really slow you down. However it's funny to watch people shooting my right arm just to discover I have no weapons in it...

Edited by Peter von Danzig, 09 March 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#5 Jerod Drekmor

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 80 posts
  • LocationWest side of Iron Curtain

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

Then why U playing cent if you dont use his advantage?? you can play hbk sp on zombie mode if you like...or cicada...

#6 loliza

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

Cents are really cool especially the A with its hardpoints i think its the best medium brawler atm.. also the gun arm is a waste of space just use it as second shield arm it will make you soak way more dmg than any other medium and even more than some heavys i tihnk :D

#7 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

It is one of the best quick strike bombers and used a lot in 8 man games. Or are you talking about romantic love for the Cent? :D

#8 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

View PostJerod Drekmor, on 09 March 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

Then why U playing cent if you dont use his advantage?? you can play hbk sp on zombie mode if you like...or cicada...

Walking barrel vs stick CT, Centurions can have 275 engines(98 k/ph speed tweaked).

#9 Azze

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Centurions are awesome! Was the first chasis i mastered. The only reason i don't play one now is that i am mastering commando and atlas.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

Having used SRMs thru the splatcat, I have already seen its speed and durability despite its semi-weakish harmless look to it. Cents have been used by high level players... it's just not the obvious looking one from the medium mech class standpoint.

#11 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostJerod Drekmor, on 09 March 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

Many would argue that the true advantage of the centurion is 3 LT missiles, 2 CT lasers and the ability to move all of that at almost 100 kph. HBK can't do that as fast and CDA can't get 3x SRM 6.

It saddens me a little that the gun arm doesn't get used very often, but from my experience, you will devote around 10 tons to it, and it will be shot off as soon as you get into a fight.

#12 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

What I really love about the Centurion is the absolutely insane amount of punishment it can take before it goes down. Especially if you have a zombie build, you can still murder people quite well when all your armour is gone and your internals are bright red...

#13 Harabeck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

The Centurion is considered the best Medium mech by 8 man competitive teams right now. So I'd say it does get some love. As for not seeing it much in random play, I can only speculate that the Trebuchet is overshadowing it because it's new.

#14 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Yes, Centurions are frustratingly difficult to kill. I own all of them, and I play them every now and again when I'm tired of driving Assaults.

#15 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

I started out playing a Hunchback. I would identify myself as a Hunchback pilot (specifically the 4SP variant). I recently bought a centurion AL and so far while I am still adjusting my play style to fit it's role I am very much enjoying it. The problem I'm facing is that I don't want to just build another 4SP. I don't want to go with 4 medium lasers and SRM6s like the 4SP so I'm still experimenting.

Builds I've tried are:
2 large lasers, 2 medium lasers and 2 streaks with an STD250.
2 large lasers, 2 medium lasers and 2 SRM4s with an STD250.
4 medium lasers, 4 SRM6s and an STD275.
1 large, 2 medium lasers and 2 Streaks with an STD275.
1 PPC, 1 Tag, 2 medium lasers, 1 LRM15, 1 LRM10 and an STD210.

So far I've had the most experience and luck with the first build listed. The only problem I've encountered is that regardless of my build I seem to lose my streaks before my weapon arm on a regular basis. I have no idea what's up with that. Maybe something to do with the missile bay doors?

Anywho I'm a medium kind of guy so I'm going to stick with it. I play to master all 3 Centurion variants eventually. Though with the Jager right around the corner I might put them on hold for a while.

#16 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

The only lovin' the Centurion needs is another four variants.

Posted Image

#17 loliza

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostRaso, on 09 March 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

So far I've had the most experience and luck with the first build listed. The only problem I've encountered is that regardless of my build I seem to lose my streaks before my weapon arm on a regular basis. I have no idea what's up with that. Maybe something to do with the missile bay doors?

its the doors keep em closed when running with streaks and with regular srm6 just open and shut them manually between shots

Edited by loliza, 09 March 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#18 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostRaso, on 09 March 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Leave the bay doors closed when not needed? Streaks have lock-on, and can't just fire right away anyways.

#19 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

I have and have used A, AL, and D extensively.
I don't play them anymore mainly because I'm working on Trebuchets, which have delicious delicious jumpjets.
Plus it feels kind of dirty running around in a 3xSRM6 A model and being an unkillable half-splatcat zombie of doom.

#20 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

Fun mech to run. :huh:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users