Re: Player Run Leagues

73 replies to this topic

Poll: Player Leagues (171 member(s) have cast votes)

Are Player Run Leagues Useful to PGI

1. Yes (139 votes [81.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.29%

2. No (32 votes [18.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.71%

Are Player Run Leagues useful to the Mech Community

1. Yes (151 votes [88.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.30%

2. No (20 votes [11.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.70%

Are you excited enough to spend MC over Player Run League Content

1. Yes (75 votes [43.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.86%

2. No (96 votes [56.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostTeam Leader, on 09 March 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

Why do you think this is so important? There's like 100 of you guys. Why does the rest of the community have to take a back seat to you getting to play games against "worthy opponents"?

What a lack of understanding you display. It has zero impact on you. As far as 100? You cant even get 1/5th of house mariks roster in your 100 ignorant assumptions.

#22 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Player run tourneys aren't the long term solutions, we know. Its more like a beta test, like the game is right now, for what would it be to have proper ones.
Not everyone has to be into it/doing it, no one ever said that.

But for it being bad? Fragmenting what? You think we don't play 4mans, 8mans at all? Probably more so than most here.

Don't understand it at all, so I'll stop here.

Edited by Chavette, 10 March 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#23 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostVercinaigh, on 09 March 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Tourneys in general are the life blood of any game that wishes to be more than a novelty joke after a year or two. Having said that, the player level skill cap of this game is low, and many current restriction already put a big dent in the ability to play this anymore than casually.

What kind of game? Given that we don't have any real idea what CW will entail, that premise probably isn't factually true at all. CW will either drive the game or it won't. Tournaments won't keep the game afloat. And as far as FPS go, I don't think BF3, COD or any of their ilk are even remotely kept afloat by Tournaments.

They are definitely a fun aspect of the games, but that vast majority of the playerbase of those games are casuals or teams that don't compete in tournament levels overly much. MMO's don't need tournaments either. Their community competitive aspects are what determine their fate.

While I like tournaments, they certainly aren't going to build or maintain the playerbase of this game. Tournament play is even more niche oriented than the MW community already is.

I doubt you see a ton of e-sport implementation by PGI anytime soon, because their focus is on CW (and should be frankly).

#24 MangoBogadog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 377 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

IMO the Proxis Community Warfare: http://proxis.midgardmc.eu/mwo is a really ambitious player run project and if I was PGI, I would look very closely at it to take as many good ideas from it as I could.

View PostVassago Rain, on 09 March 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Player run tourneys that further fragment the playerbase are useless.

How do they Split the community? For an hour or two a couple of teams try and play each other in 8 man games, other than that those same pilots are Pugging/4mans/8mans as per normal.

When we are trying to find a specific team for a scrim/match we still play any team we drop against even if it is not the tam we were looking for. Probably not to full potential and always aggressive but the enemy gets a battle none-the-less.

Edited by MangoBogadog, 10 March 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#25 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Assuming a serious, competitive league or leagues ever happened, player-run leagues would have about as serious an impact on it as a local company softball league has on professional baseball.

#26 sj mausgmr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

Player run leagues give the best of us something to challenge ourselves with and a reason to stick around. They help drive the core community because they actually create something more than just a cesspit of randoms bitching at each other on forums. A community starts when people start to recognise and appreciate each other. Currently i don't give a toss about 99% of this playerbase . leagues will change that.

#27 roguetrdr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

Community corp can create a somewhat working CW... the developers of the game still can't work it out.

Way to go PGI

#28 sj mausgmr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

One thing that is a sorry sign is that pgi keeps locking and moving topics about leagues to community portal. It seems that we can reiterate the same garbage across 10 different identical threads, yet not attempt to reach a larger audience with multiple topics on different news within the leagues. Is this pgi hinting again at their general disapproval of competitive community gaming? Or perhaps an over zealous moderating team?

I'd like to remind those with power here, that nothing good ever came of stifling creativity, and that games that are often are talked about with the greatest respect here, such as cs and dota , were built up by their communities, nothing more.

This game will never be controllable like league of legends, it's too complicated with too much diverse history. People will never be satisfied unless they are presented with choices, and lots of them.

#29 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

View PostTeam Leader, on 09 March 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

Why do you think this is so important? There's like 100 of you guys. Why does the rest of the community have to take a back seat to you getting to play games against "worthy opponents"?

B-b-b-b-because too much ECM cheese!

#30 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

What does the last question mean? Needs clarifying, not at all sure what it's getting at.

View Postwarner2, on 11 March 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

What does the last question mean? Needs clarifying, not at all sure what it's getting at.

Re-reading it I guess it means would you spend MC in order to facilitate play in a player run leagues e.g. buy a Cataphract with MC because your unit wants to run them ASAP.

#31 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

Leagues could be what PGI needs to make money. I have no interest in BowlingWarrior online!
tournament play is fine for exercise, but I am here to fight the Clans, not win cockpit trophies.

#32 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

Closing! We have threads for all those leagues already. We don't need another one that is simply referencing them and putting a poll on top.

You could have created the poll with more content in the opening post, describing your view and feelings on the subject, the pros and cons you could see, and without linking to specific projects. Instead you just linked the already known leagues, so I have to assume that you simply wanted to create more attention for them.

Edit:
After reviewing this case, I'm willing to re-open this topic. I will move it over to the community portal sub-forum where you can further discuss the pros and cons of player run leagues and their usefullness to MWO.

For the future please add a little more content to your opening posts, to discuss about, then just a few links. It will help get the discussion started and will help us moderators in deciding if a thread is intended for deeper discussion or only opened to draw attention to a specific topic already discussed elsewhere on the forum.

My personal view on the matter of player run leagues is: I find it great that his game is creating enough appeal to the players, that they are willing to invest a lot of work to make it even more enjoyable for others.

Edited by Egomane, 13 March 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#33 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Thank you MiSs.

Players please continue to provide feedback in a positive manner and send me your leagues!

#34 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Over 200 tuned in for tonights RHoD Playoffs GG SJR AND DV8

#35 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Well, I think that whoever is configuring the forums has done an outstanding job of making sure no one has any idea where any of the league information is.

#36 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

There is also the Spherewars currently in the testing building phase;

http://spherewars.sp.ohost.de/

EDIT: its already listed in the OP :mellow:

Im not sure about the first question in the poll and why the users should be the ones answering this. Are player created tournaments useful to PGI? Only PGI will be able to answer this one, and I can say, that they will not be able to answer this generally either.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 22 March 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#37 MangoBogadog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 377 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

MWO / FORUMS / COMMUNITY HYPERPULSE GENERATOR / FANSITE JUMPSHIP

:) Seriously!

#38 Moku

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

From ask the dev #34 answers:

"A: We plan to create and host a variety of tournaments, challenges, and official MWO league. At this time we are not sanctioning or encouraging players to create independent leagues."

Although, I do think it's just overvigilant moderation for the league threads to be moved here. They should be given a chance in the more active forums to just be bumped down like everything else.

Edited by Moku, 22 March 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#39 Fastidious

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I think it's pretty clear the message that is being sent.

#40 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

I think there is, unsurprisingly, a large appetite for competitive framework inside the game. Right now there is none. And the tournaments PGI have been running are basically a load of rubbish. We have a lone wolf focused game, with a lone wolf focused mentality. But I didn't really expect it to be much different at this stage, look how long it took games like league of legends to garner a 'real' competitive scene. We know PGI won't support player run leagues, though it's not to say they will actively try to stop them.

Once lobbies land, we'll finally have the tools to effectively and smoothly run external events as much as events run by PGI. Ultimately player run leagues and tournaments are doing a service to MWO and PGI, but I don't feel there is an appetite inside PGI to really focus or get excited about that competitive future this game could offer, not yet anyway. Until the day comes PGI puts the framework in place, I think they will mostly look the other way, and players and teams will continue to fill the void as best as they can. One thing I would suggest to PGI is to talk to competitive teams in the community about what the competitive scene looked like in previous iterations of Mechwarrior. It could arm them with information useful to the games future.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users