Re: Player Run Leagues

73 replies to this topic

Poll: Player Leagues (171 member(s) have cast votes)

Are Player Run Leagues Useful to PGI

1. Yes (139 votes [81.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.29%

2. No (32 votes [18.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.71%

Are Player Run Leagues useful to the Mech Community

1. Yes (151 votes [88.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.30%

2. No (20 votes [11.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.70%

Are you excited enough to spend MC over Player Run League Content

1. Yes (75 votes [43.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.86%

2. No (96 votes [56.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostTeam Leader, on 09 March 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

Why do you think this is so important? There's like 100 of you guys. Why does the rest of the community have to take a back seat to you getting to play games against "worthy opponents"?

ROFL WTF? why do people insist "it further fragments the player base" ? thats ridiculous. what further fragments the player base is forceing people to play with people they dont want to play with. THAT is what makes a game unenjoyable.
Also Who said anything about you or anyone else "taking a backseat"?
Are you just mad cuz you cant solo-zerg here? get off my lawn.

I dont want to play with PUG's so I choose to play LESS.. these leagues of various incarnations are fun for me, why?
#1 I dont have to deal with "troll" builds
#2 I dont have to deal with mindless morons who try to preserve thier precious KDR by hiding and shutting down when they start losing
#3 The Goons dont play in them
#4 opponents are respectful and are respected
#5 I dont feel like I'm grinding a mech for XP or cash
#6 it fills in a HUGE lack of content
#7 It requires a thought beyond "rush thier front line or base cap ftw omgzorz!".
#8 It promotes actual team play
#9 It only "excludes" those that wish to be excluded, good riddance if you ask me
#10 it makes the game social again.

you know, I havent seen a rule that says a group of pugs cant enter either, so arguements about it splitting the community are completely invalid.
want to be a pug and still enter? get 8 of you zerglings to consistantly play together and enter, problem solved, you have now "un-excluded" yourself, amazing how that works no?

Diversity promotes growth, not the other way around. Diversity also points out flaws which tends to make people pull thier heads out of the sand which they dont tend to like, Oh hai thur PGI devs, yes im talking about you.

And for Vass, I may be a troll, but at least I have valid points to go with my smartazz quips, you just thrive on griefing anyone for anything you can, move along amateur, you're too little to play on my bridge.

Edited by Havok1978, 24 March 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#42 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

I would like to add on to Havok's post in saying not only does it allow the experienced users to get their fix of leagues and a style of CW, it also lets the less experienced players who are learning to keep from getting a bad perspective of the game due to dying constantly to a very experienced player.

MWO offers enough things for a new player to contend with. Torso twisting, heat and weapon group management, etc. It would be easier for them to learn to play the game in an equal enviroment, which would be easier if a lot of the more experienced players are being able to match make against themselves for scrimms, practice, leagues, etc.

Being able to set up who you are fighting against in an 8 man would make it so there is a less chance we will see units sync dropping 2 4 mans in to a PUB and stomping it, giving a new player, once again a poor perceptive of the game.

#43 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

Private matches won't fragment nearly as much as this 3rd person option will.

#44 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

Its pretty sad they are so desperate to **** off the league players. Who will bother with community warfare if all the actual competitors stop playing. The base is fragmented between tryhards and cryhards already.

#45 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostVercinaigh, on 09 March 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Tourneys in general are the life blood of any game that wishes to be more than a novelty joke after a year or two. Having said that, the player level skill cap of this game is low, and many current restriction already put a big dent in the ability to play this anymore than casually.

Really? Because I'm fairly certain the BF series of games and COD series of games didn't fade into obscurity due to a lack of "league play" and the number of people playing those games in league play is MUCH smaller than the casual but repetitive players that are out there.

Leagues have their roles but they aren't necessary to PGI, especially at this point since we're pre-CW.

I wouldn't agree that RHOD and leagues like it "fragment" the playerbase either. Those players are going to play league or drift off to do other things because their playstyle and niche is to play competitively. Without that driving force, they wouldn't last long anyway given the current setup, so saying that leagues fragment the community isn't realistic.

#46 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Community run tournaments are a way to get things beyond mindless brawling going.

I still have all the random people I played with in the Trial By Fire tournament in my friends list, and I say hi to them whenever I see them in TS/game.

#47 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Leagues allow people to tailor their game play experience to what they want. For example, I played in a number of stock and puretech leagues in MechWarrior 4. I enjoyed those types of game compared to what I experienced in BZ4 and MechWarrior Leagues. It gave me a purpose, something to reach for. That didn't mean I completely stopped playing in random servers. I probably played in the Sunder Junkies server more than all of the leagues put together. The fact that there are already several different leagues out there, despite all of the roadblocks that make them difficult, shows there is a real appetite for people who want to play this game on their own terms.

These tournaments are fun, and maybe they will even add team based ones, but it's not quite the same as a planetary league. Community Warfare has promised to offer planetary league type play, but on a much greater scale. I am very interested to see how that will turn out. There are some concerns about it though. PGI has stated that people will not be forced to play with 3PV players if they do not want to. What happens if I own a planet, get attacked by a unit that does use 3PV, and I don't want to play with those players? Will there be two concurrent star maps, one for 1pv and one for 1pv/3pv? With a league, teams know and accept what rules they are going to be playing by.

#48 Flossme

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

I have no idea why PGI chooses to put Leagues that keep us 'die hard lovers' of this game in esoteric sections of the forums. Most organized teams/factions pug stomp at will, and even for me it is losing the novelty. This game is getting dry. When me and my wings do organized drops we will win 99% of them. Sure it was fun at first, but sometimes we get the same poor souls over and over again. ELO makes us wait forever in getting matches.

Currently this game, granted in beta, for the life of me I don't know why it won't open up a launch lobby. It would put SERIOUS life back into this game that is going no where FAST. Instead they are nerfing the weapons, introducing maps at a snails pace, more focused on making money off cockpit trinkets and cheesy colour schemes/camo for the mechs.

Also the way these forums are moderated: topics being closed then open again, topics that interest the PLAYERS who actually PLAY and PAY for this game are shoved to esoteric parts, deleted or moderated. I would LOVE if someone would spear head creating a free-for-all 'unofficial' MWO forum.

Having forum moderators who can also ban your in game account, I see as a conflict of interest. I know many that are frustrated and have had their accounts suspended. I have NEVER in my many years of gaming history seen powers used to this extent for a game that has trouble getting traction.

PGI should listen and research what the players are screaming for. This place/game is akin to a dictatorship. Problem is we are free to move on and pick another game play. The rate things are going, PGI will rule over themselves and have a game in the 'could have been bin' on the esoteric back pages of the internet. All I can say is "Star Citizen" is the next big thing and is just around the corner - if PGI doesn't amp up the interest many gamers will give up and move on(as many have done already).

Marketing genius at work!

#49 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

If the people in charge would finally use one or two braincells they would probably realize that this "game" currently has no end game content and people are getting bored pretty fast after they managed to get their hands on all the interesting/viable chassis and maxing them out.

Competitive drops is what actually fills that boredom with live action and makes people stay here (and spend some moniez $$$$$$$$), rather than leave (and taking their moniez $$$$$$$ with them).

Casual players are not forced to compete and can still keep doing whatever floats their boat - so they won't be affected at all.
I don't see any kind of a "split", all I can see here is having more people playing this excuse of a game and probably spending a dime on it.

Since the money of the "ohwaitaminuteidontwantto4manpugthewholeday" people doesn't seems to be wanted I assume that a lot of them will wander off to other games pretty soon, if the way how certain things getting handled here aren't changed.

You usually play a game because its cool. Then you meet some cool people. After YEARS (read: not MONTHS) the game gets stale and you basically keep on playing because of the people you've met. After that step, all what comes is the un-installation of the game.
Guess where we're currently standing...

NINJAEDIT: *farts into the general direction of sweden*

Edited by WaddeHaddeDudeda, 28 March 2013 - 04:10 AM.

#50 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

View PostFlossme, on 26 March 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

I have no idea why PGI chooses to put Leagues that keep us 'die hard lovers' of this game in esoteric sections of the forums. Most organized teams/factions pug stomp at will, and even for me it is losing the novelty. This game is getting dry. When me and my wings do organized drops we will win 99% of them. Sure it was fun at first, but sometimes we get the same poor souls over and over again. ELO makes us wait forever in getting matches.

Currently this game, granted in beta, for the life of me I don't know why it won't open up a launch lobby. It would put SERIOUS life back into this game that is going no where FAST. Instead they are nerfing the weapons, introducing maps at a snails pace, more focused on making money off cockpit trinkets and cheesy colour schemes/camo for the mechs.

Also the way these forums are moderated: topics being closed then open again, topics that interest the PLAYERS who actually PLAY and PAY for this game are shoved to esoteric parts, deleted or moderated. I would LOVE if someone would spear head creating a free-for-all 'unofficial' MWO forum.

Having forum moderators who can also ban your in game account, I see as a conflict of interest. I know many that are frustrated and have had their accounts suspended. I have NEVER in my many years of gaming history seen powers used to this extent for a game that has trouble getting traction.

PGI should listen and research what the players are screaming for. This place/game is akin to a dictatorship. Problem is we are free to move on and pick another game play. The rate things are going, PGI will rule over themselves and have a game in the 'could have been bin' on the esoteric back pages of the internet. All I can say is "Star Citizen" is the next big thing and is just around the corner - if PGI doesn't amp up the interest many gamers will give up and move on(as many have done already).

So, just to tentatively poke the hornets nest with a stick rather than full on smashing it with a baseball bat <my usual method =D >
If I were to say.. I dunno, actually make an unofficial MWO forum site with fan stuff, how many would actually be interested in that?
I'm willing to undertake such a task, but I dont want to actually waste my money and time if its not going to be utilized.

currently I'm not really happy with a number of things going on and alot of us sometimes just want to vent or have valid ideals that get smited by moderators buried and redacted out of existance and I think there is a niche for this, but I also know that alot of times people dont follow through on thier suggestions.

#51 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

View PostFlossme, on 26 March 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

Also there is shadowrun for me but geeze thats an IGP IP also so they get my money here then there, only thing that loses out in that situation is MWO cuz IGP gets both incomes and will canniblize the loser.. they ARE good at doing that afterall

#52 Snailio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Saw alot of negative comments regarding the aspect of "player run" tournaments / leagues. Perhaps I could provide a little insight... As a member of Paragon I am part owner of our team. All of our primary members have equal ownership of the team. With that, we are not simply players, we are owners as well. Now, lets look to professional sport leagues in the United States. Whether it is the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc, each of those leagues are all run by the owners. Yes, they each have a commissioner, and that commissioner is chosen by the owners to represent them. They together form the league as a whole. That is far different from a player run league, or even a one team run league. That has proven to be a very successful business model, and I fail to see how it would not work in e-sports as well. One need not rely solely on a 3rd party league or a league created by the game developer to be successful. All it takes is a group of well organized teams having ownership in a league, and creating an organization to provide a stable league.

Edited by Snailio, 05 April 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#53 MangoBogadog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 377 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

...and a lobby :blink:

#54 grayson marik

• Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

View PostMangoBogadog, on 05 April 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

...and a lobby :huh:

amen

#55 kerbango

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

Last Mech Standing is currently finishing up its first bracket. We have had some success with the Community in making our league accomplish its goal. To let the community have a place to kill each other. A lot of you posting here are actually in LMS league. I do not think we are encouraging fragmentation of the community at all though we do offer a mercenary option for non rostered players to come in and fill a team who is short a pilot or 2.

I do think that PGI not taking a position of support for leagues such as mine, or RHOD and the many others is just purely bunk.
What the leagues need to do is band together and support each other. I do not feel my league is in competition with RHOD or the others. As a matter of fact, we openly support and promote them. Even if that means we lose teams in ours. Its about the community to us. I don't ask for anything in return, i don't think any of the leagues do, so what is PGI so worried about? I know they benefit in small ways from us though, SE ratings for 1. And anyone who is in the web business knows Se ratings translate into dollars.

We spend our hard earned money to form these leagues for the community to have a place to strut the stuff, pay for teamspeak servers, web hosting, URL's, prizes of a limited nature, not to mention the hundreds of hours spent sitting around watching others drop, only to have PGI say, we don't support or even acknowledge you. Why is that? Im sire its not the massive $25 average donation my site gets a month to stay open.

Anyways, regardless of what PGI does, LMs is here to stay. We will adapt to the changing game. We support RHOD and hope them the best. Our leagues make this game worth playing in my opinion.

::: gets off the soap box:::
Lastmechstanding.com
teamspeak.lastmechstanding.com:9997

#56 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

View Postkerbango, on 02 June 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Last Mech Standing is currently finishing up its first bracket. We have had some success with the Community in making our league accomplish its goal. To let the community have a place to kill each other. A lot of you posting here are actually in LMS league. I do not think we are encouraging fragmentation of the community at all though we do offer a mercenary option for non rostered players to come in and fill a team who is short a pilot or 2.

I do think that PGI not taking a position of support for leagues such as mine, or RHOD and the many others is just purely bunk.
What the leagues need to do is band together and support each other. I do not feel my league is in competition with RHOD or the others. As a matter of fact, we openly support and promote them. Even if that means we lose teams in ours. Its about the community to us. I don't ask for anything in return, i don't think any of the leagues do, so what is PGI so worried about? I know they benefit in small ways from us though, SE ratings for 1. And anyone who is in the web business knows Se ratings translate into dollars.

We spend our hard earned money to form these leagues for the community to have a place to strut the stuff, pay for teamspeak servers, web hosting, URL's, prizes of a limited nature, not to mention the hundreds of hours spent sitting around watching others drop, only to have PGI say, we don't support or even acknowledge you. Why is that? Im sire its not the massive $25 average donation my site gets a month to stay open.

Anyways, regardless of what PGI does, LMs is here to stay. We will adapt to the changing game. We support RHOD and hope them the best. Our leagues make this game worth playing in my opinion.

::: gets off the soap box:::
Lastmechstanding.com
teamspeak.lastmechstanding.com:9997

In an ask the dev's thread (34?) they told Grayson Marik (from Sphere Wars) that they "do not sanction or encourage players to create their own leagues". This is the typical pants-on-head decision making PGI does every 2 weeks. I think I speak for all league organizers when I say this is discouraging. When it comes down to it, the motivation behind all leagues is in the community. We want to play this game together and have fun. No one wants to divide the community-- no one wants to make a profit.

#57 JagdCrab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

Well, even informational support from PGI would be more then enough, you don't spend any resources to make a post at news feed about new league / season starts up and in a same time this post might be all league admins are dream about. Let people know that challenges right here, right now, make more people participate in it, bump up activity in units / clans, so more players would actually play MWO. And in a same time, that would help leagues a lot, numbers of teams participating might be even more important then private matches, because let's be honest: right now, in every league we played - it's mostly all the same teams. It's good to see well known faces, but it's even better to see new teams to join competitive part of MechWarrior.

#58 grayson marik

• Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

View PostJagdCrab, on 04 June 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Well, even informational support from PGI would be more then enough, you don't spend any resources to make a post at news feed about new league / season starts up and in a same time this post might be all league admins are dream about. Let people know that challenges right here, right now, make more people participate in it, bump up activity in units / clans, so more players would actually play MWO. And in a same time, that would help leagues a lot, numbers of teams participating might be even more important then private matches, because let's be honest: right now, in every league we played - it's mostly all the same teams. It's good to see well known faces, but it's even better to see new teams to join competitive part of MechWarrior.

Yeah but this also has a backdraw:
The more teams play in one of our leagues, the worse the syncdropping gets ^^

For ISW, i can say: I do not need IGP/PGI's support or aknowledgement. What I would need is a way to drop 2 teams together without having to syncdrop ^^

If teamplay would have a relieable mechanic, that works... preferable anything from 1v1 to 12v12... leagues would boost to a point where PGI/IGP would finally have to opein their eyes.

But I am patient... once CW is out and is a dissapointment as I expect it to be... our leagues will still be here and await all the players who want more than random boringness ^^

#59 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Oh, I'm not saying anyone needs acknowledgement here. I also don't think that PGI's community warfare will be bad (they do after all seem to be taking ideas from my league :)). I hope that they do a great job.

Private matches would be really nice though.

#60 kerbango

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

i really think US league owners need to have a meeting. Get us all together in one chat and hash out some scoring standards etc.. We are much stronger when PGI notices our leagues have THOUSANDS of pilots and we are grouping up, that says more to the wallet

Of course they probably wouldnt give two chits less!

Edited by kerbango, 05 June 2013 - 03:03 PM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users