Shoot Down Lrms With Lasers?

17 replies to this topic

#1 FerretWithASpork

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

LRMs are ruining this game right now. It's just not fun to play when there's 2 or 3 people just spamming 30-60 missiles at a time.

What if our lasers could destroy missiles?

#2 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostFerretWithASpork, on 10 March 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

What if our lasers could destroy missiles?

lol

quoted from another thread with a similar topic:

View Postblinkin, on 22 February 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

not really a new idea.

i have seen many posts about weapons in general shooting down missiles, many of those were directly focused on machineguns.

these posts make me LOL. not because the idea is overpowered. not because i think it would make missiles too weak (we will come back to this one). not because i think it is unrealistic for some reason. not because i am in any way against this.

two mechs are next to each other in a match. they both see a swarm of LRMs coming at them. mech one dives for cover as quickly as possible. mech two stands still and tries to shoot down the missiles. which mech do you think stands better odds of surviving?

these posts make me LOL, because there will be many LRM mechs that are just handed several kills by this "advantage".

what would you do if you were outside playing baseball when a hailstorm started? would you run to the nearest building or tree that could shield you or would you stand out there swinging your bat in an effort to knock the hail stones away from you?

again i have no issues with adding this mechanic, but with it i think Charles Darwin needs to be given an in game score for the matches. give credit where credit is due.

#3 Frisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

My experience is that people who complain about LRMs either

A.) ...are to aggressive and end up getting into no man's land (aka death from LRMs) because of their low situational awareness.

B.) ...not very good at controlling their throttle and using cover.

Edited by Frisk, 10 March 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#4 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

If you want to shoot down missiles with lasers, wait for the LAMS, which is 4 years from now in this timeline.

Laser Anti-Missile System

#5 FerretWithASpork

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostFrisk, on 10 March 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

My experience is that people who complain about LRMs either

A.) ...are to aggressive and end up getting into no man's land (aka death from LRMs) because of their low situational awareness.

B.) ...not very good at controlling their throttle and using cover.

Then you're an *****.

I got taken out by ONE salvo of LRMs as a Pretty Baby in Alpine Peaks earlier...

#6 FerretWithASpork

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

View Postblinkin, on 10 March 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

lol

quoted from another thread with a similar topic:

It would certainly help for those times when you're giant and slow and CAN'T get behind cover in time.

Everyone screams "Just head for cover" like that's always 100% possible. Newsflash.. It's not.. Also that just creates a long drawn out boring *** game.

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

When it comes to missiles, you have to be mindful of your surroundings. I mean it can be difficult while brawling, but it is extremely important to be next to cover as much as possible. If worse comes to worse, use the mech you are brawling against for cover... by hugging him.

Edited by Deathlike, 10 March 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#8 kiltymonroe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostFerretWithASpork, on 10 March 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

Then you're an *****.

I got taken out by ONE salvo of LRMs as a Pretty Baby in Alpine Peaks earlier...

A 'mech that's built like a fridge and has an XL engine in it. I'm not surprised.

#9 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

View Postkiltymonroe, on 10 March 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

A 'mech that's built like a fridge and has an XL engine in it. I'm not surprised.

Indeed, I use an XL in my dragon but I built for speed and put an AMS on it because of that engine and I have yet to get taken out by LRMs. Rarely even get hit by them.

Alpine Peaks seems like it would be a map that is dominated by long range weaponry when in actuality it's dominated by mobility. The hot zone on the map everyone likes to fight at is dominated by ridges and valleys that are spaced in such a way that LRM boats have to sit out in the open to utilize their fire.

EDIT: and not to knock the pretty baby but that thing has sloooow decelerateration, literally the hardest awesome to dodge things in, if you are trying to stop suddenly behind a small piece of cover.

Edited by zztophat, 10 March 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#10 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSeattle Aerospace Defense Command, Terra

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

LRMs already suck, if you get killed by them your doing it wrong.

#11 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

I literally just explained why it wont work in another thread just like this (about MGs though). I'll just quote myself then:

View PostSPencil, on 11 March 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

Lasers wouldn't be too effective at shooting LRMs. Missiles generally spin while in the air, meaning the laser wouldn't be able to focus on a single spot long enough to do any significant damage.

With machine guns, between the range and missile speed, it would be less effective then lasers. It's a safe assumption that a missile can handle a bullet (depending on where it gets hit) so you would at least need to fire a few (look at how much the AMS fires for every missile that goes "boom"). Best case scenario, you could maybe take a missile or two out, but it simply wouldn't be worth doing so.

The only weapons I'd think are capable of knocking missiles out of the sky are the larger ballistics (AC/2 and up) and PPC.

Funny thing though, I'm pretty sure that missiles already have "health" considering that AMS does 2 damage every shot (source: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ "Weapon Systems" section, 4th table, first entry, second column). So we might already be able to shoot them down, just no one has ever tried. We might need a dev's answer on this

Edited by SPencil, 11 March 2013 - 12:46 AM.

#12 MuadXDib

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

I don't think LRM's are OP or w/e, but I do like the idea of shooting them down, sounds like fun

#13 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

ECM is ruining this game. It's not fun to be in an LRM boat and get jumped by an ECM light, now your LRMS are worthless!

#14 Tragerscott

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

How about the way modern earth fighters try to evade missiles? As in some flares and chafe? Allow say two dispensers with 100 shots each....press a button and it 'pops' them off to the side/rear, the longer you hold down the firing button the more that you dispense at one time.
Something needs to be done about LRMS, I have literally seen them hang a tight 90 degree turn to go behind buildings/terrain. and with the extra 3.5 second target decay, no way to 'hide' anymore. unless you power down, which can be as fatal as overheating when engaged by ballistics and laser weapons.
Also, WTF about missile tonnage, 100 missiles for short range missles and 180 a ton for LRMs, and only 25 for an UAC 5? Jesus, a LRM should not have that many shots a ton.

#15 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Then you're an *****.

So 60 LRM's took you out? Because that's really the most you realistically will ever see on a stalker.

Or you do you mean multiple salvo's at once? Meaning 3 mechs killed you?

Because would you survive if 3 4-6 PPC stalkers all shot your center mass? Nope.

#16 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Then you're an *****.

AND THATS NUMBER FIVE FOLKS!

#17 Fajther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan, usa

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Countering lrms: 1. ecm 2. Cover 3. Speed 4. Ams 5. Long distance sniper I have an ecm light that moves at 150 only for the times when I am angry at lrm users. Every mech will have a weakness. You will not be able to use the same mech/build every time you go out. You either play the trendy roll or you play anti that roll. Join lrm users, or combine some of the five things about to kill them.

p/s/ I swear that you can shoot down missiles with lasers. I was using a 6xLL awesome the other day and I swear I shot a srm6 out ot the air. IDK Probably seeing things.

p/s/ The worst thing about lrms is the sound it makes when it hits you. Really grinds my teeth. sigh.

Edited by Fajther, 23 June 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#18 Khell DarkWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Are we playing the same game? LRMs are fine. I don't know what ELO you're at but you haven't seen nothing yet if you think slow moving, ammo dependent, lock-on missiles are an issue until you get higher.

View PostFerretWithASpork, on 10 March 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

PPCs are ruining this game right now. It's just not fun to play when there's 2 or 3 people just spamming 30-60 damage at a time.

What if our heat could destroy ourselves?

Fixed.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users