7 replies to this topic

#1 SC1P1O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hey,

I bought a C4 a while back, and I really like the build you can make it a partial splat or a LRM support with streaks and lasers as backup, however, I have noticed that when doing the support LRM build having a tag limits the amount of damage you can put out to defend yourself. With the C1 I can put 3 ml or mpl and a tag, that would be better at pinpointing components on heavier and maybe Lights. So my Dilemma that I poorly described in the above sentences, is which mech is better for standing 100-180 meters behind your assaults and giving them support. Which mech is going to be better able to defend itself long enough for help or to finish off that damaged mech.

Feed back and builds would be appreciated.

#2 Rigiroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 350 posts
  • LocationValhala

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Hmm...that's a tough one. The C4 can carry a wider variety of LRMs (4 Tens is better than 2 20s, weight distribution is the same but the 4 Tens have tighter grouping) and even though your are limited on damage out put, you could put on say 2 SRM6s for up close or 2 SSRM2s.

The C1 would probably be better for the roll you are talking about though. When I did the C1, I did it with 3 LL and 2 SRM6s. It worked pretty well and sounds like it would fit the roll you want perfectly. It can fit more energy weapons which are better at support ranges while still having the LRMs for medium to long range.

Edit: I also only own the K2, A1, and C1, so anything on the C4 is mostly just speculation and thoughts on it.

Edited by Steemship, 10 March 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#3 Dusty Sandals

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

I'm a fan of the C1 personally. I like having those backup lasers for when the ammo is all gone and the tag really helps the missile groups. I run an XL305 DHS Endo 2xLrm20's 3xML's and a tag. Nice speed to keep up with the main group and good damage output. Hang back and watch all the components on enemy 'mechs turn into fireworks while you rack up damage and kills.

#4 iminbagdad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Huge fan of c1. Try these two builds and modify them to your liking.

3x ml, 1x tag, 2x LRM 20 with Artemis, xl 300. Stay about 200-300 m behind assaults and tear things open. Only fire on what you tag and have Los on.

2x srm6, 2x LPL, 2x ml, xl 300. This is a fun brawling build. Let assaults hit first then you come in right behind them.

#5 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I love the C1 too, and prefer it over the C4 at both long and short range if I'm honest. Short range, 2xSRM6+art+various lasers+XL300=awesome, but it's true you can't argue with a 4xSRM6 C4. At long range however I feel the C1 is a much better choice, as you only really need 2 big launchers for your missiles and more lasers means more versatility.

In this build I keep two MLAS for close encounters but use a single ERLLAS to complement the LRM's at range. Works very well.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4db8f2d0ce7004f

#6 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

I like the C1 for my LRMing. I run and XL300 2xLRM15 with Artemis, 6 tons of ammo (overkill I know), 3xMLAS, TAG, and have room for jets. Pretty sweet ride.

I'm a believer in packing TAG if LRMs are your main source of damage, and I don't think you should rely on streaks for close support as it's usually an ECM light that comes to say Hi to an LRM boat in the first place, so that leaves SRMs.

You could make something like this.

2 SRM6 packs with Art should pack a deterring punch up close while 2 LRM15s+Art is more than enough LRM goodness. Don't get too obsessed with stacking LRMs, 30+Art is plenty. No jets, but you do get TAG so you're not completely useless if the enemy has a lot of ECM.

The ammo placement is very specific. Put the SRM ammo in your legs since it's more likely to be around all match. I put the LRM ammo in the arms for lack of a better place. You need more than you can hold in your socks, but putting them in any torso area is suicide. The best option is to put it in the arms and hope you deplete that ammo before the brawling comes your way. Storing in the head is dicey buisness for a Cat as well, but what are you going to do? You need ammo and an XL to be effective, it's a risk you have to take.

Personally, I prefer the C1.

#7 Omar Ravenhurst

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

I've run about every combo possible on both my C1 and C4, as well as A1 and K2.

I agree with the above that the C4 is best used as a pure boat, but that's only best if working with a good team. I typically run it with 4xLRM10 plus a LLas. I have run it with 4xLRM15, but that's going to cut into your speed and the LLas isn't possible. Right now I have it as 2xLRM15+2xSRM6+2xMLas and the mech has ArtemisIV. Before that, I had it as 4xSRM6 and an ERLL, which is also a very good mech: 2/3 of a splatcat+a ranged weapon.

I typically run energy heavy on my C1. I've run the 3xLLas+LRM10w/Artemis with a lot of success. Unless you're running a boat, the size of the launcher isn't all that important. What matters is how much ammo you carry and how accurate you are. As said above, LRM10s have a tighter pattern than 15s or 20s, and they have a greater rate of fire, so I often prefer them unless volume of fire is a must. Right now, I have a slightly crazy build on my C1: 2xERPPC and 2xSSRM2. It's very fast and max jump. It's my ECM light killer. Pop them with the ppc, then hit them with the streaks. It takes some skill to run, but it's extremely effective.

Bottom line, the C1 is far more flexible due to the energy hardpoints in the side torsos, but the C4 is better as a SRM or LRM boat with energy backup, so it depends on what you're after.

#8 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

C1 + 2x PPC + jump jets = fun. Fill the rest of the mech to your taste, I use streaks and medium lasers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users