Ams

14 replies to this topic

#1 iG0Lka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:09 AM

I could not find a description of the AMS.

Please tell me where I can see the description of the AMS?

I am interested in the current characteristics of the system i.e. how many missiles knocked down one AMS?

#2 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

The ams requires a specific hardpoint location in your mech (eg. in the atlases you have to mount it in the left arm), requires 1 critical slot and 0,5 tons of weight. Specific ammunitions are required, you get 1000 bullets per ton.

It starts to shoot to incoming enemy LRMs up until 200m within you. A single AMS it's usually able to nullify a LRM5 salvo, and severely reduce a single LRM10 salvo.

The system will fire automatically at any nearby passing lrms, be them directed at you or to allies. Actually only Atlas AS7-K and STK-5S can mount two AMSs.

The AMS won't shoot down many srms or ssrms since since they are pretty fast for it to be taken down in serious numbers, and the closer they are shot the lesser is the chance to have a great effect. It gives its best with LRMs.

Edited by John MatriX82, 12 March 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#3 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

What John said.
So if you are under LRM fire, and can't get to cover, stay with other AMS Mechs to maximize the rocket destruction :)

#4 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

View PostiG0Lka, on 12 March 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

I am interested in the current characteristics of the system i.e. how many missiles knocked down one AMS?

AMS does 2 damage per second, every single SRM and LRM has 1 hitpoint, NARC has 2. LRM speed is 100m/s, SRM 200m/s, NARC is 250m/s. It will hit everything within 200m, regardless of where it was fired from (dunno where John got the idea from that you need to fire from further away).

So if you're not moving and solo you'll be able to shoot down at most 2 SRM or 4 LRM before they hit you, but not a single NARC. Thus make sure to stay close to your team - if you're targeted by LRM fire ideally behind your team so all their AMS can fire at the missiles incoming to you.

#5 Rezerford

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

Let me help a little bit to interpret the question.
Basically what he was trying to ask - is how many missiles can be eliminated by 1 AMS mounted into the mech you're piloting.
It's pretty obvious how AMS works in general, but there's one thing which is left unrevealed for players.
What is the efficiency of AMS. How many missiles it can destroy before the rest of missile spray will hit your mech (either number or percents would be helpfull) ?

#6 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

View PostRezerford, on 12 March 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

It's pretty obvious how AMS works in general, but there's one thing which is left unrevealed for players.
What is the efficiency of AMS. How many missiles it can destroy before the rest of missile spray will hit your mech (either number or percents would be helpfull) ?

How about you just read the post just above yours, i.e. mine? o.O

#7 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostSnib, on 12 March 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

(dunno where John got the idea from that you need to fire from further away).

Yep, I did some mistakes, now it should be corrected.

#8 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

As said above 1 AMS can almost certain shot down a single LRM5 salvo, therefore 5 missiles. But there need to be some time between the salvo's.
Was once facing a CAT with 6 LRM5 who was chain firing and most of them got through (was like a missile rain anyway).

Edited by SchwarzerPeter, 12 March 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#9 Rezerford

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostSnib, on 12 March 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

How about you just read the post just above yours, i.e. mine? o.O

Hey! Keep calm!
you posted message while I was typing.
And though your post is pretty useful, it still doesn't answer the question of topic starter completely.

Edited by Rezerford, 12 March 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#10 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostRezerford, on 12 March 2013 - 05:55 AM, said:

And though your post is pretty useful, it still doesn't answer the question of topic starter completely.

What's missing? It tells how many of each missile type in game can be knocked down by a single AMS, which is exactly what the OP was asking?

#11 Rezerford

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

View PostSnib, on 12 March 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

What's missing? It tells how many of each missile type in game can be knocked down by a single AMS, which is exactly what the OP was asking?

Sorry I couldn't get how you connected dps of AMS and all the rest of calculations. Then
I came to understanding of what you meant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, ur idea sounds like "If DPS of AMS = 2 then it fires 2 bullets per seconds".

So that all the rest of ur calculations look fine and really answer OP question.

Initially it wasn't that obvious for me (and I guess for OP) that DSP of 2 = 2 bullets per seconds.
In my mind it was more like 1 bullet of AMS is delivering 2 pints of damage

Thanks Snib, John. You really helped, guys.

Edited by Rezerford, 12 March 2013 - 06:26 AM.

#12 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostRezerford, on 12 March 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, ur idea sounds like "If DPS of AMS = 2 then it fires 2 bullets per seconds".

Actually the server is not modeling individual bullets for the AMS weapon system, that is only client-side. It is simply applying 2 damage points over the duration of a second to any number of incoming missiles (one after another) within the 200m envelope (currently even regardless of obstacles).

So, for example, if someone fires an SSRM 2 at you from 150m, then after 0.5 seconds your AMS will have done 1 damage to one of the SSRM, destroying it at a distance of 50m away from you. 0.25 seconds later it will have removed 0.5 hitpoints from the other SSRM, which will however then hit you (for full damage). Should any other missile be within 200m of you at that point, your AMS will spend the next 0.25 seconds to do the "remaining" 0.5 damage it. That's just looking at the time-frame of 1 second - your AMS will of course keep firing as long as there is ammunition.

edit: If there are multiple AMS in range, but only one mech being under missile fire, then all the AMS will be firing at the same missiles. Say you hypothetically had 4 AMS in range and all at exactly the same distance and vector from the incoming missiles then each of them will apply 0.25 damage to one incoming missile before destroying it and moving on to the next missile.

Edited by Snib, 12 March 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#13 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

AMS protects you and your team from incoming missiles (but as stated above, mostly LRMs). The more your team has (while bunched together) the less damage you will get. In most cases, it is not enough to let you stand out in the open and take missile hits, especially from dedicated missile boats, but in a large group, it will cancel out a lot of missiles and while solo, it will reduce the damage you take while you go duck for cover.

#14 iG0Lka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

I applied to the support

it seems the developers themselves do not know how work AMS ;)
----
correspondence history :

A
Hello Support.
I could not find a description of the AMS.
Please tell me where I can see the description of the AMS?

Q
Hello Bckbacek,
AMS will destroy approximately 10% of incoming missiles.

Regards,
Reppu
Senior GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

A
Hello, Reppu.
You said that the AMS hit by 10%.
But this can not be!!!!!1!11!
If we assume that you have said, that out of the pack of 10 missiles, one system AMS knock only one missile!! 1!
A two redundant system AMS shot down, ten flying missiles, only two missiles!
but it is not so!
A pack of five missiles, one AMS gets off completely ... ie for five rockets get 100%

Therefore, the question remains in force - which features AMS used in the game now?

Q
Hello Bckbacek,
As I said, it's an approximate, and this is in a perfect situation. Different situations, ie: two Mechs with AMS, things will vary.
I do not have the exact mathematical formula.
Regards,
Reppu
Senior GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

#15 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

One thing I know is true. LRM's fired from a greater distance get more shot down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users