A Call For Better Moderation From The Mods...

32 replies to this topic

#1 Tice Daurus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Mods, I'm not flaming you here in this thread nor do I want to turn this into a "rebel" against the mods here, I'm creating this as a constructive criticism. If afterwards you want to lock this fine, but I would like this to be mentioned to all of the mods so we can start gaining some semblence of sanity back here in the General Discussions board.

Lately there have been a lot of repeat topic threads, stuff that's been mentioned over and over and over.

Case in point: The past several days there were 3 different "I want Capping removed from the game" threads which served no purpose. We've already dealt with this. Capping is here to stay, many people want capping and feel it's a viable way to win the game and it also creates a feel for tactical play in the game. However it was brought back up at least 3 times in a little over a week's time.

It's getting to the point to where the GD board here is regurgitating the same topics over and over and over again that this has to stop. Now I know that the mods will most likely lock this, and I'm ok with this, because it's discussing how to tell the moderators to do their business. I for one appreciate what the moderators do, I know it's a thankless job, one filled with repetitive agony and dispair and you couldn't have me be a moderator for all of the tea in China. It's a rough, thankless job.

What I'm asking is that when a particular thread is been rehashed over and over like this, I'm asking that the mods close it, if it's bringing up the same damn thing over and over. With one exception:

If the thread is well-thought out and specifically mentioning a topic that similar but not. I know I'm being a bit vague here. Let me explain further...say someone mentions nerfing SRM's again, but takes a well thought out post as to explain why SRM's need to be nerfed with facts and research as to why they need to be nerfed and the topic is discussed specifically on that research and facts, then let it slide. But if it's yet another topic on SRM's with no thought put into the topic saying "SRM's need to be nerfed!" with no forethought put into the topic or ECM again, you guys know what to do.

For the most part you guys have been doing your jobs, and I applaud that you have been doing this. But the General Discussion boards are rehashing old topics over and over and over again and we need to get more of a handle on this.

Again, my apologies for telling you your business, and I know this is borderline anarchy here, but I'm asking for a plea so we can get the General Discussion boards under control. My apologies, and thanks for listening.

Edited by Tice Daurus, 15 March 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#2 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

For every one that wants more moderation, someone else gets up in arms about over-moderation.

*shrug*

#3 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostKraven Kor, on 15 March 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

For every one that wants more moderation, someone else gets up in arms about over-moderation.

*shrug*

Well, not asking for Soviet Russia type of moderation, just a better style of moderation to say lock a repetative thread with a post from the mod saying this has already been discussed, please do a search for the previous topic regarding the last known issue regarding that topic, and it will keep repetative threads down, so we can focus on talking about different issues. But yeah, I get what you are saying Kraven.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

maybe tie repeats together with an OP on the subject? Just change the re-posters "Topic" to a "Post" with and stick it and any replies on a previous Thread?

#5 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 15 March 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

What I'm asking is that when a particular thread is been rehashed over and over like this, I'm asking that the mods close it, if it's bringing up the same damn thing over and over. With one exception:

If the thread is well-thought out and specifically mentioning a topic that similar but not. I know I'm being a bit vague here. Let me explain further...say someone mentions nerfing SRM's again, but takes a well thought out post as to explain why SRM's need to be nerfed with facts and research as to why they need to be nerfed and the topic is discussed specifically on that research and facts, then let it slide. But if it's yet another topic on SRM's with no thought put into the topic saying "SRM's need to be nerfed!" with no forethought put into the topic or ECM again, you guys know what to do.

I'm guilty of this, but on if I feel I have something constructive to add to the topic, yet feel that it coming in on the nth page that it may get lost and never seen, will I create a new thread to explain my viewpoint. But yeah, after the first few thoughtful posts (or the IBL post), it generally degrades into another flame war.

#6 keith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

don't like the moderation, don't look at the forums:P

#7 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

View Postkeith, on 15 March 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

don't like the moderation, don't look at the forums:P

Obvious troll is obvious. ;) (P.S. I know you're kidding, I see the tongue.)

#8 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Please have this discussion in the pinned topic.

Closing thread.

#9 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

Chemical castration for anyone that posts a duplicate topic.

The problem will then work itself out, eventually.

;)

#10 Paula Fry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 521 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Posted Image

#11 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

I also wanted to add something here to ask the mods...in order to help the mods out, can we the forum readers report a particular thread for repetitive posting on a previously discussed topic? Would that be ok or acceptable to do via the Report Thread option?

#12 Hawkeye 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 15 March 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Here's your problem...

The guys who made the "OMGZ NERF SRM" thread will come into the well-constructed, intelligent thread, and bring it back down to their level. And at the end of the day, we are just left with three topics on the forum that are repetitive and mere clutter.

Fixing General Discussion is a lesson in futility.

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 15 March 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#13 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostPaula Fry, on 15 March 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Posted Image

Pretty much summed up this worthless thread.

#14 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

I think the mods are doing a very fine job of deleting or burying all post with constructive ideas or ideas that are not parallel to PGI's wishes. So lets all praise them in there fine job of deleting all good posts and topics and just keeping the whiners or the I love you so much posts. Posted Image

#15 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 15 March 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Pretty much summed up this worthless thread.

GT, it's not worthless if even a little change is possible. Less repetitive thread posting, even if this brings awareness to the problem and reduces it, just a little is a victory in itself. Now that might be a rose-colored glasses POV, but I'd rather be that then turn into a bitter forum-posting troll because I'm too far gone to where I'm part of the problem and not part of the solution.

#16 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

This will be locked in three, two..

#17 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 15 March 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

I think the mods are doing a very fine job of deleting or burying all post with constructive ideas or ideas that are not parallel to PGI's wishes. So lets all praise them in there fine job of deleting all good posts and topics and just keeping the whiners or the I love you so much posts.

Whats that pic from?

#18 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostxZaOx, on 15 March 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

This will be locked in three, two..

And that's ok with me if it is. I expected it to be locked as such. I just wanted to help. That's all. Nothing wrong with good intentions to try and make this a better place.

#19 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostSephlock, on 15 March 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

Whats that pic from?

Mech Love not War.

#20 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 15 March 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

And that's ok with me if it is. I expected it to be locked as such. I just wanted to help. That's all. Nothing wrong with good intentions to try and make this a better place.

"The devil know's well, the best intentions pave the road to hell."

Madahoochi - Consequence. Google for retro metal goodness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users