12 replies to this topic

#1 Csypher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

With that being said here is a point of view of the topic.

Currently there are many leagues and competitive matches being played. But does this help Mech Warrior to become a e-sport... doesn't seem to be.

Does PGI plan on supporting E-sports ? This is a great question because most E-sport games that are popular have leaderboards we only had them for one weekend. There also needs to be team leaderboards and a soon to be community warfare community leader board. Even maybe a Way for teams to sign up for a League (player run) Leaderboard. A big part of the mechwarrior community is players set up own leagues and running them. This is all easily done with a database. Also being able to have private games that are not charged would also help to make this game a e-sport to have 2 teams link up and play vs each other.

Will PGI support mechwarrior as a e-sport we will see. I can only hope.

#2 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

Based on the Ask-a-Dev they don't seem to want to support any competitive leagues. Even such a simple feature as a private match is something pgi doesn't want to do. Their reply was "kinda a private match but not the way you think". Sometimes this feels like a console game. Everything is tightly in the hands of pgi.

#3 OuttaAmmo NoWai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNot at a macbook

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

MW:O has to be a working E-game before it can become an E-sport.

#4 xenoglyph

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

People want all those things, and they're things that make sense, so they're probably not a big priority for PGI =)

#5 Exoth3rmic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

Currently MWO isn't suitable for an e-sports arena.

Even if we forget the bugs and look to the future there's no viable spectator mode for observers, there's no re-connect ability, map selection and simply, but harshly, put there's no drive to make any of these things available or viable for competitive play.

(Incidentally the maps as they currently stand are also not balanced across the bases, where certain bases confer a substantial advantage over others on certain maps).

Edit: Also you mention "players" setting up their own leagues. E-Sports aren't actually fueled by the players, they fueled by the observers - many of which don't actually play the games concerned at competition level - this is unlikely to ever be the case in MWO

Edited by Exoth3rmic, 09 April 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#6 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

I thought in an Ask The Devs they mentioned that they would like to turn it to e-sport eventually?
I think that was maybe in A.T.D. 29, 30, 31, 32, or 33.
I may revisit those and see if I can find where they said that. I know they did say "would like *blank blank blank* an e-sport"
I'm going to scan those real quick and see if i can find that.

[Edit] This is all I could find going back to ATD 22. I just did a ctrl+F for each ATD answers and typed in 'sport'. This is all that I found.

Q: I've read that you guys love e-sports and competitive gaming in general. Will we see improvements to the observer camera modes such as a free-cam that you can float above the battlefield? [Jman5]
A: We have planned more systems like that, but they are more time-consuming to add than you might think. You can bet I bother people about it though. [Garth]
This doesn't ring any bells, but I can't find it ask the devs anywhere and search function isn't working. If I find it I'll post it. Otherwise just ignore me.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 09 April 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#7 Xipe Totec

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

I kinda hope not. E-sports create terrible player environments and I'm not a fan of the slew of racial slurs that comes with that upgrade package.

#8 Karazyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

View PostXipe Totec, on 10 April 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

I kinda hope not. E-sports create terrible player environments and I'm not a fan of the slew of racial slurs that comes with that upgrade package.

not really, your thinking of MOBA and Cod scenes they are full of energy drink slamming teenagers (or the mental equivalent)
mechwarrior on the other hand seems to be more respectful, atleast when your not crying about bugs like children (really guys stop being so melodramatic) hell when a enemy kills me from long range by blowing my arm off and causing a explosion i congratulate them on a awesome shot, and it seems that i am not unique in this regard.

id like to see mechwarrior as a esport, it has great potential.

#9 Tekadept

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

This will never amount to an "E-Sport" not enough people let alone the game issues

Edited by Tekadept, 10 April 2013 - 02:24 AM.

#10 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

Posted Image

#11 roguetrdr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

Need a lobby system before you can start making tournaments at all. Trying to run tournaments with sync drops is just terrible.

#12 ElliottTarson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSomewhere close enough, but far enough away.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

I predict we'll start seeing serious competitive action around this time next year. This is based off the assumption the game is still around.

#13 Bad Karma1775

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationHouma, LA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

I am trying to make it an export with this charity tourney. I am fully willing to invest money into PGI if they will set it up. I am even willing to take on the responsibility for it. Just saying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users