How Do You Play Atlas As7-D?

55 replies to this topic

#21 MrDerp

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

Try this build before you quit. It will make you reconsider.

Std 300 engine
2x ultra ac5
2x srm6
2x medium laser
1x PPC
And tag or another ml if you want it

Welcome to the big leagues.

#22 MrDerp

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

Try this build before you quit. It will make you reconsider.

Std 300 engine
2x ultra ac5
2x srm6
2x medium laser
1x PPC
And tag or another ml if you want it

Welcome to the big leagues.

#23 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

This is a standard setup for it. Give it a try if you haven't:

View PostAstroniomix, on 13 March 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

325 STD 4 ML 2 SRM6 with artemis, AC/20 AMS.

I run one with 300 STD, 2 LL, 2ML, LRM10, SRM6, AC/20 AMS, which is more versatile.

View PostYokaiko, on 13 March 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

It doesn't brawl as well as a D-DC or snipe as well as an RS.....the -K is just the worst Atlas.

It is a good all-rounder Atlas.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 14 March 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#24 Gregore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

I tried the brawler route with zero success, so I decided to try mid range support mech and was pleasantly surprised.
HEre is my loadout

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...71dc17797e4f5a0

I now usually get 2-5 kills and the rest in assists..

best is to stay around 200-500m from targets, stay in cover and smash engaged targets. It is too much to hope that your pug teammates will attack your target, so I decided I would just attack theirs. And it worked wonderfully.

I usually focus on unloading the LRM's since they are OP. If a target is less than 500m I will pop off the LL, great for finishing mechs as you can pinpoint weak areas. If anyone comes within 300m I introduce them to mr ac 20. That combined with the 2LL and a salvo of LRM usually sends them running for cover.

PS stick close to your group, if you wander off you are easy meat, like any other mech in the game.

#25 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Here is my build: AS7-D

It is slow, but I have not had a problem finding targets. I also chain the UAC5 which helps with the jamming.

Or with a few tweaks to get more speed: AS7-D

#26 Gregore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

also if you wanted a bruiser that puts out punishment, definitely go Stalker.

#27 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

You are the Frontline. Your the MMO Tank. Stay with the group. Don't think you can pull off sweeping flanks, or hide, or defend base, or be a support mech. You are the cannon fodder when your team crests the ridge, you are a bullet sponge, once you accept that the better you'll play.

Using an Atlas isn't so much as it's load out, its how you play it. The Stock Atlas is not a bad build, now that we have a bigger map(s). Just learn to manage your weapons wisely, and learn to pilot that beast, cause once you commit to a maneuver, its hard to turn back and find cover. And if you can, group with other assaults, you'll take down mechs so fast, all the while your Tanking for your team.

Edited by Slater01, 14 March 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#28 Gregore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostSlater01, on 14 March 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

You are the Frontline. Your the MMO Tank. Stay with the group. Don't think you can pull off sweeping flanks, or hide, or defend base, or be a support mech. You are the cannon fodder when your team crests the ridge, you are a bullet sponge, once you accept that the better you'll play.

This is why there are so many terrible Atlas pilots out there. And you're not your. ;)

#29 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostSlater01, on 14 March 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Alternately, put a decent engine in your Atlas, move smart, and kill stuff, preferably from a flanking position. STD350 is a solid choice. That will help your team more than wandering over a ridge and getting shot, and you tend to get a lot of attention anyway after you show up and core someone.

#30 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostGregore, on 14 March 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

This is why there are so many terrible Atlas pilots out there. And you're not your. :blink:

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 14 March 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Alternately, put a decent engine in your Atlas, move smart, and kill stuff, preferably from a flanking position. STD350 is a solid choice. That will help your team more than wandering over a ridge and getting shot, and you tend to get a lot of attention anyway after you show up and core someone.

When your new and can't pilot your mech very well or manage your heat and weapons, your best to not be the One Atlas on your team hiding behind other team mates our trying to pull the crazy far off flank maneuver. If theres a bunch of Assaults on your team, and/or your a good pilot thats not going to let your team down, then its a little different.

But this guys comes from the MMO world. The Atlas is the Tank, and any other role only hampers your team as a whole, especially if your the one and only Atlas on your team. Not everyone will drive their Atlas as such, but every non-Atlas pilot will be thinking what is that Atlas pilot doing? Where was he we need him?

#31 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostSlater01, on 14 March 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

But this guys comes from the MMO world. The Atlas is the Tank, and any other role only hampers your team as a whole, especially if your the one and only Atlas on your team. Not everyone will drive their Atlas as such, but every non-Atlas pilot will be thinking what is that Atlas pilot doing? Where was he we need him?

"Getting shot" isn't really a viable combat role haha - that just makes it 7v8. Atlas pilots have to be patient with committing to a fight because they can't un-commit very effectively if the fight turns out to have been a bad idea.

#32 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Best way to play a D?
Get it to 4/4 Elite.
Then throw it back to the store for a D DC.

#33 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Assault means "dealing a lot of damage". It does NOT mean "taking a lot of damage". This is not a standard MMO, it's a BattleMech game. MMORPG rules and precepts are not relevant here. Please don't try to apply them.

Thank you.

#34 Schrottfrosch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

I like the D Atlas - I go 2 med lasers in the arms, 2 srm6 and UAC5+LBX10 in torsos and a std350. Endo steel and double heatsinks are my upgrades.

It runs qute hot if you alfa away for a while, but it lets you kill an assault in a direct brawl without overheating beforehand.

If facing multiple enemies just dont fire your medium lasers (reducing heat considerably) and only fire the uac5 at targets of oportunity and concentrate the srms and the lbx on your main target.

#35 Righ

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 13 March 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

a gauss(make sure you CASE it)

Don't mean to derail, but I have always been under the impression that Gauss ammo - being nothing more than enormous metal balls - were not subject to ammo explosions. It has been that way in the other games I have played, has PGI not implemented this or something?

#36 TarkaTarquol

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

You CASE the Gauss itself. CASE does affect the damage for when the Gauss itself explodes on ya.

#37 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

This applies to all Atlases:

You can defend against mechs coming over a ridge, but you fare poorly at pushing over a ridge. The Atlas is bad at firing down and not much better at firing up.

#38 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostJames DeGriz, on 14 March 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Assault means "dealing a lot of damage". It does NOT mean "taking a lot of damage". This is not a standard MMO, it's a BattleMech game. MMORPG rules and precepts are not relevant here. Please don't try to apply them.

Thank you.

I made the reference to MMO, because I'm replying to the guy that started this Thread.

When 4 mechs come into your firing range what's your teams first target?

Thats why an Atlas is a Sponge, not by choice, by the circumstances of MWO. Like it or not the Atlas is the Tank.
And if your the 1 Atlas on your team hidding in the back, well, you'll get an ear full. Why? Cause you are not pulling your weight. Literally.

Edited by Slater01, 14 March 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#39 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

The K is useful - 2 AMS. people whine about LRM but forget about the AMS.

the D makes a good directifre brawler or a sniper. 2 erppc and a gauss can work quite well, as can the pretty stock 2 Llaser, 2 MLaser, Ac20/2 srm 6.

however it is very hard for any variant to compete with the D-DC, due to ECM. My D-DC is my go to atlas for both brawling and sniping usually because of the power of ECM.

#40 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

View PostSlater01, on 14 March 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

I made the reference to MMO, because I'm replying to the guy that started this Thread.

When 4 mechs come into your firing range what's your teams first target?

Thats why an Atlas is a Sponge, not by choice, by the circumstances of MWO. Like it or not the Atlas is the Tank.
And if your the 1 Atlas on your team hidding in the back, well, you'll get an ear full. Why? Cause you are not pulling your weight. Literally.

Wrong. The Atlas is not the Tank. If he were there would be skills designed to increase the damage he can take, or systems made to force the other teams targets on to him. If you want an MMO reference, then all Mechs are ranged DPS. In those terms the Atlas is no different to a Jenner. The difference is that the Atlas, because it is the heaviest mech and therefore the one capable of putting the most ordinance into one place at one time is also the largest and slowest. Combine that with it being perceived as the most dangerous tends to mean people target it first, if it gets spotted.

Atlases rely on wing men to ensure they can do their heavy damage on the front lines because of those mobility limitations, probably more than most other mechs on the battlefield, which again means you cannot call them a tank. For my money whether an Atlas is designed through loadout to do it's heavy damage at 100m or 1000m is irrelevant, so long as it's doing it.

If you're an Atlas pilot who charges (OK maybe not the best choice of words) in to the fray all guns blazing without support and tries to get the enemy to concentrate as much fire on you as they can, then you are a rubbish Atlas pilot. You will die quickly, and the teams damage potential will be substantially reduced.

I say again. The Atlas is NOT a tank. Do not pilot it like one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users