#21 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

^^ This.

My TDK is one of my two most used mechs (2nd being my quad ERPPC k2), and although it certainly isn't any better than other commando's, I love it because, as was mentioned above, it fits my playstyle very well.
But ultimately, a knee jerk emotional response is a fine way to pick a mech, imo. Although you can boost stats and such by researching the forums and finding the "best" chassis for this or that, ultimately I've found myself happier in mech's I think look cool and are fun to drive.

#22 jay35

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostBiggieboy, on 16 March 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

Nah, I'd rather not explode :unsure:

I just bought my first mech yesterday: a HBK-4P, full with lasers, but i'm getting tired of him. I'm considering purchasing a heavy or assault (not necessarily hero type). I don't like the hero commando, fang, flame and "pretty baby". So that leaves the X-5, yen-lo wang and ilya muromets. But i'm still wondering how they compare to a normal cicada, centurion or cataphract.

I have those three and each of them is great in its own way and really helps round out the variants for those chassis.

#23 Iscariott

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

I own the Ilya, the YLW, and the TDK. The Ilya has been covered heavily, everyone knows its good at what it can do. The TDK was really a "well i still have some MC" purchase, I don't regret it but I'm not really sure what to make of the damn thing. It's a serviceable light mech, but I feel like the commando with SRM6's is just flat out better.

What I want to talk about is the YLW. This is neck and neck with my treb 3c for favorite medium mech. Running it as either a virtually indestructable mech with the stock engine, or with a XL300(ac20 driveby gangam style) is lots of fun. How much damage you do is directly related to how well you place ac20 rounds. In fact its all that matters. It's a medium mech going 91kph putting killshots in where ever people need killing. Literally all you have to do is see internals, place the shot, and see what happens. It doesn't overheat. You can put an AMS on it if you're careful. If you use your shield arm properly you just don't die.

I definitely prefer the XL300 version. Even with 28 rounds for the ac20 I usually run low or out before I go boom.

I'm not 100% sure how I would make it work, but the Pretty Baby seems like fun now that I'm getting into AWS play. I love my 9M to death. Might buy one next month.

#24 Gregarius

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

IMHO...

Best in the house: ILYA w standard 3*UAC5+3*ML build. If you fancy the 2*ERPCC+Gauss build use a -3D w JJ (!) (commonly referred as Poptart build), just look up some youtube vids or check Goons' page how to use it. Hug an AS7, preferably a D-DC and you will be in the top 3 dmg dealer. I have already pulled together more than 30m CB with ILYA as it is the best money maker and fun with dakkadakka.

Only buy PB only if you are ready to handle the crazy layout, better to try other AWS chassis and learn heat management before you click <Buy>. You

Flame atm is at the second place, while Fang doesn't bring anything except a fancy paint job. Going with a crazy fast DGN with LBX and hunting -3Ls is hilarious.

YLW is third if you can learn the twist defense and recognize the shield's potential.

X5 is interesting, but wo JJ or ECM, so a team is much better of with a -3L. Other thing I absolutely dislike in the X5 is: it 's fully ready made. Really limited options how you can tweak it or change it to suit your play style. See also the lack of X5 fitting posts.
I can only see a bigger Jenner without much of an advantage.

TDK... one of the least used Hero, -2D even wo ECM is better...

Oc opinions will differ and you will see people white knighting the TDK and X5, which is fine and good.

And don't forget, driving a Hero mech makes it easier to recognize you and gives a reason for a 4men to make you the primary, (except if you running a TDK).

#25 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

I only own the TDK, and it is definitely a fun mech to play.
As fast as you can get, with 4 Med Pulse lasers.... yeah it does damage pretty well.
The problem is, of course, enemy lights with streaks and/or ECM. you will go down against them.

It is a fun mech to pilot though, but don't expect to be the top damage dealer of your team :unsure:

#26 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

Posted Image i also have the Ilya ( 3 uac/5 ) Dakka Dakka but its not as much fun as the WANG

Edited by LordDante, 19 March 2013 - 03:18 AM.

#27 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

You should try a Flame with 4 MPL, ASRM4/SRM6 and 350 XL (near 100kph), ES and DHS.

#28 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Flame is better than all Dragons.
Ilya is better at ballistics than all other Phracts.
Wang is better with an AC20 than all other mediums.

Fang and Baby are ok but not really special imo.

TDK will stay a vicitm until they remove ssrm/srm splash early april.

All give you a 30% bonus to cbills, while it doesnt sound like a lot its huge. Im sitting at 260m cb, ~30 fitted mechs and around 20 modules just because i play heroes allthetime.

[edit] I do not own a X5 and am not planning to get one.

Edited by Budor, 19 March 2013 - 05:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users