Dualshock 3(PS3) Controller Mapping

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Dualshock 3(PS3) Controller Mapping (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Is using a controller(not joystick) a viable option for MWO

1. Yes (21 votes [84.00%])

Percentage of vote: 84.00%

2. No (4 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tao Zun

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

Hey everyone,

I am using a generic Dualshock 3 controller that everyone gets with their PS3 for MWO, (by using the Motionjoy Gamepad tool in Xbox Controller Emulator mode). I would like to know if anyone out there right now is using a controller as well and if they have a good set up for one. I am very interested in seeing how a controller would preform in this game as i think it would possibly simplify the complex control scheme some.

If anyone has any ideas or a proper set up please post here. I will also be posting if and when i find some "good feeling" controller set ups.

If you would like to explore using a controller for this game (or any game) check out this link for the Motioninjoy Gamepad DL and install instructions.

http://www.gamefront...roller-on-a-pc/

#2 Durahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

Not using my PS3 Controller for MWO but:
4 Shoulder Buttons ( Weapon Groups 1-4 )
2 Analog Sticks ( Left = Legs / Right = Torso )
2 Stick Buttons ( Jump Jets and Shutdown )
D-Pad ( Zoom, Thermal, Night Vision & Target Enemy )
Triangle/Square/Circle/X Button ( Fullstop / Battlegrid / Teammate Status / Override Shutdown )
Loos usable to me?

Might need something like The Avenger MOD to get a better handling of the Triangle/Square/Circle Button

#3 Scraper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

I personally wouldn't play with a controller, but you should be able to get all the key functions working.

#4 BottomLine

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

my problem when attempting to use my 360 controller the game will not allow me the option to configure the L&R triggers (analog) individualy for seperate funcions. (in this case seperate fire controls)

#5 Epok

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCHICO, CA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

using a controller would be easier to maneuver your mech...but you'd get owned when it came to the shooting... using a mouse is just soo much faster

#6 BottomLine

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

it all depends. in some instances a more precise movement with a thumbstick will allow you to precision fire and, hard banks on the analog would allow for the speed aloted to the mechs turret speet.
so if using a light mech, a controller might not be a good idea but in a heavy or assault it could to prove to be better than a mouse

Edited by BottomLine, 19 November 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#7 Red Menace

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

I was using keyboard an mouse when I started out here and recently changed to my PS3 controller using motionjoy & xpadder.

I'll never use keyboard anad mouse again.

I dont pretend its faster for targeting, but having the controler makes this game not only more playable, but more enjoyable.

#8 Draegneir

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

Ummm nice Idea, I will plug my PS3 Controlletand try it

#9 Barrett Flipmode

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

I'm fairly new to the game but I like the PS3 personaly, the buttons on a controler are much easier to reach than on a key board. It would be nice if the devs added an in game sensitivity control for the aiming, it would be more convinent than figuring out text for the config file.

#10 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

motioninjoy is the best control pad emulation i have seen, it works for virtually any pad in any config.
Need your dualshock 3 to act like a 360 controller? no problem.
Need your 360 controller to act like a usb controller? no problem.
Need your usb controller to be ps3/360 type? no problem.

I use a nostromo and rat 3 mice mouse combo for MWO, but I do use motioninjoy for skyrim and alot of other games that I prefer a controller for, cuz lets face it, who needs to communicate with PUG's who simply refuse to use teamspeak. bye bye keyboard.
side note, i have trolling macros for text <_<
<enter, y,o,u,space,m,a,d,space,b,r,o,?,enter>
oh and if you see a "<3" then note, you are being recorded :wub:

Edited by Havok1978, 04 March 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#11 Rowin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

I want to use this set up for my relaxed play, although the game is good with mouse and Razor there are times when i want to relax in the back of my chair with controller in hand. However I am having issues with my setup as I cannot get the throttle control right. The analog throttle makes sure you have to press forward constantly when I am trying to get it to just accelerate and decelerate however according to the mapping it is just 1 axes. I've tried to use different buttons and such but not much luck. My playstyle lends itself towards using go max speed and full stop I just want to be able to use up and down on the pad for speeds between so piloting feels more natural.

Using the PS3 controller and Motionjoy app

Rowin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users