ISN News Flash

19 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

Thur. May 31, 3049: Alliance attempts to curb illicit weapons trade arming tariq-mounted desert raiders with Federated Long Rifles failing.

#2 Gun Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

A bunch of nomadic desert horsemen? Just roll them over with some vees and 'mechs. Hell, give me a firestarter or a flashman and I'll fix your Tariq problem.

#3 Ranger207

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationI iz in ur matchez, killing ur battlemechz

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Really? REALLY? Rifles against 'Mechs.
Hey- is the "Alliance" they're talking about the Lyran Alliance? I can't think of any other alliances off the top of my head, but weren't they named the Lyran Alliance AFTER the FedCom Civil War? If it is the Lyrans, though...

Really? REALLY? Rifles against Atlases?!?

Edited by Ranger207, 31 May 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#4 Smoke Banshee

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

The Outworld Alliance, the faction mentioned here, lies near the border of the Draconis Combine and the Federated Suns. Tariqs are not horses but a type of riding lizard common to the periphery.

Also, Ranger207, sniper rifles against Atlases work very well.

#5 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

Well, the Outworld Alliance lacks ground forces, as their prefered weapon of choice is the fighter craft. So armed infantry is a danger to their belongings.

#6 Tezz LaCoil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 144 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

Didn't we just do this same kind of thing in the 70's, which lead to one of the longest, most ridiculous wars in American History?

#7 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostPrower, on 31 May 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

Didn't we just do this same kind of thing in the 70's, which lead to one of the longest, most ridiculous wars in American History?

The Indian Wars of the 1870's worked out eventually.... (for us... ;) )

Wait... or do you mean the 1770's arming those pesky Bostonians...

#8 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

the real problem with sniper rifles and atlas mechs is that the pilot doesnt make it all the way up the boarding ladder. nice of the fedcom to send educators one day, weapons to terrorists the next.

#9 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

View PostGrimJim, on 31 May 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

The Indian Wars of the 1870's worked out eventually.... (for us... ;) )

Wait... or do you mean the 1770's arming those pesky Bostonians...

I'm sure he's talking about the ridiculous situation the USA created in Afghanistan. And then in Iraq. And in South America. Should I go on?

Edited by Shredhead, 31 May 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#10 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostShredhead, on 31 May 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

I'm sure he's talking about the ridiculous situation the USA created in Afghanistan. And then in Iraq. And in South America. Should I go on?

Please do.
I'm sure the massive number of servicemen who frequent this forum would like to hear your opinions less than a week after Memorial Day.

#11 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

This thread ain't about real life politics.

#12 phinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

anti mech rifles you say? well, maybe with a well placed shot, i mean if they had the anti tank rifles that were monsterous before, why not design one to off a pilot sitting pretty in his cockpit?

also real life politics, really? you guys can't keep your mouth shut for 10 seconds?

Edited by phinja, 31 May 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#13 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Beast Mounted Infantry - See Periphery Major States source book ;)

FedSuns will help when it suits them to hinder their neighbors, disrupt local garrison forces, or simply to annoy the Dracs and Alliance militias simply because they can afford to do so :rolleyes:

#14 Ranger207

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationI iz in ur matchez, killing ur battlemechz

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

How come I couldn't remember Outworlds Alliance?
Eh... Oh well.

@Real-Life Politics- there are good reasons for those wars, but then beuracuracy found out about them. (Or, at least, someone thought it was a good reason...)

#15 JJBussey

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

I will be happy to help. I can use my long range missile armed catapult to cut off any chokepoints they might try to escape in

#16 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostGun Bear, on 31 May 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

A bunch of nomadic desert horsemen? Just roll them over with some vees and 'mechs. Hell, give me a firestarter or a flashman and I'll fix your Tariq problem.

Who? You think the people that are guilty wear signs saying they're illicit weapons traders?

While genocide is an option, it doesn't go down well with people on other worlds, and with ComStar running most of the news throughout the Inner Sphere, something that makes governments look bad is very, very likely to come out.

In addition, what's to say that the weapons trade isn't supported by corruption in local governments, even regional leaders turning a blind eye in return for a coin in the pocket.

Nothing is EVER as simple as "kill 'em all and let god sort them out."

Edited by verybad, 31 May 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#17 Bluescales

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostRanger207, on 31 May 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

Really? REALLY? Rifles against 'Mechs.
Hey- is the "Alliance" they're talking about the Lyran Alliance? I can't think of any other alliances off the top of my head, but weren't they named the Lyran Alliance AFTER the FedCom Civil War? If it is the Lyrans, though...

Really? REALLY? Rifles against Atlases?!?

A well aimed kill-shot through the cockpit viewport and into the pilot's head with a high-powered rifle is still a well aimed kill-shot through the cockpit viewport and into the pilot's head, regardless of whether you're in an Atlas or a Jenner. Mech's might shrug off that sort of damage but people not so much. The more things change...

#18 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

Clearly none of you have fought insurgents. Davion backed a small terror cell on my homeworld, who were rooted out by the Kempeitai and hanged, of course, but not before using fertilizer-based IEDs to mine key roads. They managed to topple at least one mech, and damaged the armor and foot actuators of several others. Now this was years ago - during yet another failed attack on Proserpina - but insurgents have the advantage of being able to hide, have no honor, and not every mech can be Beagle active. Sad to say, but this is why the DCMS still maintains foot infantry, and why every citizen of the Combine must be ever vigilant against foreign influences. Remember, the Kempeitai exist for your safety and secuirty, so help them to preseve the peaceful and honorable ways of the Combine. If you see something, report it!

Edited by SwordofLight, 01 June 2012 - 05:05 AM.

#19 Man From AUNTIE

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWA state

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Kill the meat not the metal. ;)

The insurgents to that to heart. Besides, even if someone is untouchable in the mech, the techs, ammo stockpiles, and buildings/tents are not armored all the time. You also have where a marksman could knock out equipment on the mech.

#20 ShadowDarter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSydney city Mechbay

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:42 AM

may i state that to take a mech into a desert, is one of the most dangerous things you can do, your heat sinks will operate at levels so low that you might have to run at 5-10% of reactor levels, and only consider low heat weapons....

this environment favours the non-mech

Antarctica here i come.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users