Mwo Vs Sto

12 replies to this topic

Poll: Should MWO be rebuilt like StarTrek Online? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

MWO built like STO<

1. yes (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. no (11 votes [78.57%])

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

I have played both MWO and STO since there release I often wonder what MWO might have been like built upon the STO game model? Where you created your own character in the Battle tech universe being a merc house or clan member. Then flying your aero ships against each other in PVP or being dropped on a planet to battle each other in mechs or battle suits or even just your character in armor? MWO should have been all this and more. Take my poll if you have never played Star Trek Online I would say check it out see what I mean by my comments. https://register.per....com/sto_splash

Edited by KingCobra, 18 March 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#2 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

What you just described would be more of a RPG set in the Battletech universe. Mechwarrior has always been focused on the MECHS, and not really the grand story of the pilot.

I'm not interested in space combat in MWO, and I'm not interested in people PVP. People PVP in STO sucked too, the ship combat was alright but the game was not really well suited to people fighting people. Not like Warcraft at least.

#3 PaintedWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

They are two completely different games.

#4 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Maybe more like Eve and Dust 514, or at least the way those games work together.

#5 Kaarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationState of confusion

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Ugh no, I played STO at launch and lasted all of 2 months before I determined it wasn't for me. MWO is meant to be built around ground combat by improbable walking piles of metal. STO was supposed to be more about the story and space combat. With the ground stuff being not much more than additional filler.

#6 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostKaarde, on 18 March 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

Ugh no, I played STO at launch and lasted all of 2 months before I determined it wasn't for me. MWO is meant to be built around ground combat by improbable walking piles of metal. STO was supposed to be more about the story and space combat. With the ground stuff being not much more than additional filler.

Well a lot has changed in StarTrek online in the past few months ground battles are now playable in team factions you can build whole units with fleet credits in a few days you will see a whole new PVP system put in. So the devs work and strive to make the game better just like MWO devs do. They have even discussed huge ground battles with mechs and supporting units like armored core or chrome hounds so it might not end up to bad by years end.

#7 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

well, i envisioned a mixture of BattleSpace (like a "WIngCommander combat Eve style universe) and MechWarrior within community warfare myself...plus making the social aspects based on pilot characters, yes(home planets, bars on solaris, recruiting centers and the lot)... but i wouldn´t base it on STO... STO has some nice ideas,but that´s about it imho... it survived 1 week on my HDD

that vision was from way before MWO has even been announced, so this is not criticism towards PGI´s vision of the game :)

View PostMerky Merc, on 18 March 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

Maybe more like Eve and Dust 514, or at least the way those games work together.

lovely thought :mellow:

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 18 March 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#8 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

no, STO sucks.
And I had a LTS for it before it went f2p

View PostKingCobra, on 18 March 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Well a lot has changed in StarTrek online in the past few months ground battles are now playable in team factions you can build whole units with fleet credits in a few days you will see a whole new PVP system put in. So the devs work and strive to make the game better just like MWO devs do. They have even discussed huge ground battles with mechs and supporting units like armored core or chrome hounds so it might not end up to bad by years end.

know what this says to me? Their devs as so desperate to revive the game theyre throwing out any vision they had for the game and taking ideas directly from the players only. Or they have NO ideas anymore.

#9 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

maybe we should all just play the other mech game...the TT one.

#10 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

When I was talking to a friend that plays STO about people's concerns over coolant and air strikes being P2W, he stopped me and told me about Jem'hadar ships in STO.

#11 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 18 March 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

no, STO sucks.
And I had a LTS for it before it went f2p

know what this says to me? Their devs as so desperate to revive the game theyre throwing out any vision they had for the game and taking ideas directly from the players only. Or they have NO ideas anymore.

Current registered players in STO is about 5 million+ so its not dying and there revenue is 800,000+ a month and yes the devs do listen to the players but a lot of the ideas are there own as well. Im not saying MWO should have been made exactly like STO maybe like some have said STO/EVE/MechWarrior/DUST/etc but it would have been a game I would have played for the next 20+ years I can tell you that and supported it like I do MWO now only x100 USD.

#12 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Actually, when MWO was announced I had it in my head that you were in fact supposed to be a pilot in the BT universe. Could have sworn it was supposed to be something like an MMORPG. I was ecstatic about it.

I love stompy 'bots and bleed MW, but this random CS-style stuff is getting really, really old. If CW doesn't bring something with some permanence to it, I might be looking for an affair with another title.

#13 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostXtrekker, on 18 March 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Actually, when MWO was announced I had it in my head that you were in fact supposed to be a pilot in the BT universe. Could have sworn it was supposed to be something like an MMORPG. I was ecstatic about it.

I love stompy 'bots and bleed MW, but this random CS-style stuff is getting really, really old. If CW doesn't bring something with some permanence to it, I might be looking for an affair with another title.

I always envisioned MWO as a more immersive version of the NBT-HC I'd known and loved. Still waiting to see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users