New Nerfs: Catapult Variant Quirks Feedback

91 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard Steve

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Tell PGI what you think of the new Catapult quirks!

Catapult Variant Quirks

- The CPLT-A1, CPLT-C1, and CPLT-C4 have had their torso twist angle reduced from 140 to 120.
- The CPLT-A1, CPLT-C1, and CPLT-C4 have had their arm pitch angle reduced from 45 to 35.
- The CPLT-K2 has had its torso twist angle reduced from 140 to 110.

#2 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

The quirks system was supposed to introduce small differences among different variants of each mech chassis. That's what this has achieved. The K2 is now slightly different to the other variants as it has 10 degrees more arm pitch angle and 10 degrees less torso twist angle than the other Catapult variants. But to piggyback this on the back of a 20 degree torso twist angle nerf and a 10 degree arm pitch angle nerf is a bit rich. At least call it what it is. Hell, call it a balance change if you must.

This looks like a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Blanket nerfs are not the way to rebalance SRM boating.

#3 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

I think Bravo.

My only issue is calling it a quirk is bad PR. The nerf however, is logical, and makes other heavy mechs more viable. No mech should have excelled in so many ways, nor should any mech be able to kiss its own ***.

Edited by Serapth, 19 March 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#4 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostSerapth, on 19 March 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

nor should any mech be able to kiss its own ***.

This is something that has always boggled me: why not? I never understood why there is that silly concept of only limited torso twist. Any decent engineer would make the weapon platform have a 360° turn. I find it awkward that BattleTech only allows their oh-so-mighty weapon systems such stupid specs.

#5 JayVrb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Haven't played it yet but after reading the Catapult torso nerf, i'm not all that excited about it.

Wasn't the mech specific quirk of the catapult SUPPOSED to be it's owl-like torso twisting ability?

#6 Mad Elf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Haters gonna hate... trouble only comes when the haters have the power to mess up everyone else's experience.

This nerf is a pointless piece of nonsense.

#7 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Honestly has little effect on gameplay. Fix SRMs, SSRMs, and LRMs, and the Cat will not be so great. Fix the heat system and the K2 will have a much harder time.

#8 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostGenewen, on 19 March 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

This is something that has always boggled me: why not? I never understood why there is that silly concept of only limited torso twist. Any decent engineer would make the weapon platform have a 360° turn. I find it awkward that BattleTech only allows their oh-so-mighty weapon systems such stupid specs.

This is a land where LRMs cant fire past a km and somehow jets and tanks are outclassed by walking piloted robots. Check reason at the door.

#9 Tommy The K

• Pip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostSable Dove, on 19 March 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Honestly has little effect on gameplay. Fix SRMs, SSRMs, and LRMs, and the Cat will not be so great. Fix the heat system and the K2 will have a much harder time.

This. In addition one of the Cat's standout features has always been it's torso twist. Just like the Dragons speed or the Phract's lateral arm movement with ballistic mounts. It's kinda made up for the fact that it has some of the worst hitboxes ingame, next to the Stalker.

#10 costi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

So, the thing that made the Catapult stand out among other Mechs is gone, since with a 110 degree twist range, it's basically a reskinned Trebuchet. In effect, in order to force quirks on different Mechs, a quirk was removed.

This nerf is a pointless piece of nonsense.

QFT

#11 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostTommy The K, on 19 March 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

... or the Phract's lateral arm movement with ballistic mounts ...

Which was drastically "nerfed" because of clipping issue with the model shortly after the CTF was released.

#12 ego1607

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Ok, now tell me one reason I should ever use my K2 when there is a Jagermech that has greater twist angle, can mount same engine and same amount of armor, and can pack more weapons.

Torso twist was the reason I loved cats and have spent shitload of my time grinding cbills and upgrading them. Now only A1 remains a mech that can be made in a distinctive build that is not outclassed, and that chasis is now basicaly good for LRM boat build only.

Please rethink your decision.

Edited by ego1607, 19 March 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#13 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

Quirks for nerfs
Cool shot for coolant flush P2W

Politically Correct terminology doesn't cover up the shenanigans.

This attitude which I am guessing comes from marketing does more to turn me off of your company than almost anything else you could have done.

Marketing is trying to cut up your goose to get at the golden eggs. They might think they are slick but it is mighty obvious to anyone that bothers to rub a couple brain cells together.

I might change my mind but I am pretty sure my goose just died for good.

#14 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

my catapuls seem to have a harder time targeting the lights that are running circles around me now....

also did they lower torso twist speed? i swear to god it all my cats feel like slugs.

View PostSerapth, on 19 March 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

This is a land where LRMs cant fire past a km and somehow jets and tanks are outclassed by walking piloted robots. Check reason at the door.

also you have to figure the force and pressure exerted on the chassi when it takes weapons fire. a design that allowed a 360 spin would be structurally weaker then one that didnt. Also the controls and internal components would be hell to get to work properly and not break at the slightest twitch after being knocked around by weapons fire.

#15 ego1607

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 19 March 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

my catapuls seem to have a harder time targeting the lights that are running circles around me now....

also did they lower torso twist speed? i swear to god it all my cats feel like slugs.

Second that.
Those are not quirks, That is not even nerfing, That's just making the chasis broken for any kind of dynamic playstyle. Now you can just sit back and snipe or throw rockets without moving much :/

#16 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 19 March 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

also you have to figure the force and pressure exerted on the chassi when it takes weapons fire. a design that allowed a 360 spin would be structurally weaker then one that didnt. Also the controls and internal components would be hell to get to work properly and not break at the slightest twitch after being knocked around by weapons fire.

Your right, a turret system could never work, thats why our battleships fire fixed broadseides and no one in their right mind would ever put a turret on an armored vehicle, limited traverse so pwnz!

#17 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

besides, who would buy the new mech if that catapult wasn't nerfed like it was?

#18 Senger

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

i can understand a bit of a nerf on the A1, but why are my C4, C1, and K2 all literally broken? I know about the torso twist being reduced in the recent patch, which is frustratingly annoying (and unneccessary) but it said nothing about twist speed. Now the torso moves so much slower than the camera that whenever i try to turn from one side to the other it bugs and i get a view of the headless pilot and inside-out geometry of the back of my mech, and all my catapults did this. it has literally made them unusable for anything but extremely long range support, not to mention that the torso twist was just about the only thing that let the catapult defend itself effectively at any kind of close range

#19 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

This was a nerf, a silly one at best

#20 ego1607

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Yeah, it's funny specially because most complains were about A1 boats, and this has made A1 only cat worth considering, and worth considering ONLY as a boat.

48 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 48 guests, 0 anonymous users