Lrms Finally Feel Right! (Jk, But We're Getting There At The Very Least)

46 replies to this topic

#1 Xandergod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 145 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

No this isn't a troll thread and no I'm not being sarcastic.

First i'll admit that the splash mechanic is broken. I've witnessed it first hand by getting hit in the back and it registering on the front of my mech.
This being said. LRMs are now a real treat. When that warning light goes off, you now have to react to it. Sure they maybe doing a little too much damage, but a buff of some sort was sorely needed.

When ECM was buffed, I like many others was pissed. It pretty much killed my favorite mech (I use cats). The fact that 1 or 2 enemy mechs could render me useless in battle forced me to adopt new tactics. The best alternative was to use SRMs en masse, because I couldn't target anyone to shoot at anymore. The fact of the matter is that ECM doesn't hurt direct fire platforms. Sure it makes target convergence a challenge but that is its purpose. But at the end of the day, be it lasers or ballistics you still could use your weapons to their fullest potential. This can't be said by missile users.

Lets look at the LRM20. It has the highest damage in the game. Almost double that of the AC20. Last week, what was the far greater threat. A missile boat with 2 LRM20s or a K2 with two AC20? I've seen mechs be cored one after another by large ballistics. By no surprise there were massive calls for a nerf to the K2 platform (which was given to the vocal masses). Now if the LRM20 is carried in pairs. Those two weapons have a massive 72 damage per salvo. But LRMs were still a joke.

Before the patch, LRMs were a minor annoyance at best. Death to someone dumb enough to run across the battle field without cover or ECM. They were not a real threat to someone fighting for cover. After the patch what has changed?
ECM still limits their effectiveness.
If lock is broken, the missile will still stop tracking.
Cover is still just as effective.
They still have a range of 1km
They still have the highest minimum range at 180m

But they really hurt now. When used in conjunction with tag, they are a very effective weapons system. I'm pretty sure this is how LRMs are meant to be used. There was a massive outcry in the forums to put catapults back where they belong. Behind the front line, providing missile support. I would like to report, that my A1 has been returned to its position proper.

#2 Sheraf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

I don't seem to have my leg destroyed when get LRMed though. It feels the same to me, but I do notice a lot of mechs got legged lately.

#3 Accident

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

Evidently others feel as you do given how many LRM boats there are!

-Accident

#4 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

For pubbing LRM's was already the hardest hitting weapon. Boat up a Stalker and become the greatest threat on the battlefield, unless ECM Raven present ofc.

They did not need any buffs whatsoever.

#5 Cebi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Not sure if troll... LRMs were already very effective before the patch.

Maybe you just don't know how to use them.

#6 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

yeah! viable LRMs! LRM BOATS ARE FUN EVEYRGAME ON EVERY TEAMM

#7 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 20 March 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

For pubbing LRM's was already the hardest hitting weapon. Boat up a Stalker and become the greatest threat on the battlefield, unless ECM Raven present ofc.

They did not need any buffs whatsoever.

I would say that the 6ppc stalker is a greater threat than the LRM stalker. When they get an aim on you, you can only pray it will miss, while you can actively dodging the LRM stalker and return fire.

Edited by Sheraf, 20 March 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#8 Xandergod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 145 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostCebi, on 20 March 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

Not sure if troll... LRMs were already very effective before the patch.

Maybe you just don't know how to use them.

They could be, given the right circumstances. You don't get a LRM hit without a LRM lock and a good lock at that.

#9 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Well if the OP is serious about not being a troll, then I can only conclude he's pretty much daft as anyone with a little common sense can see that missiles are so obviously bugged and nowhere close to what they should be right now.

Edited by armyof1, 20 March 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#10 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostSheraf, on 20 March 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

I would say that the 6ppc stalker is a greater threat than the LRM stalker. When they get an aim on you, you can only pray it will miss, while you can actively dodging the LRM stalker and return fire.

Oh its also a great danger but runs far too hot and really limits what you can do. The LRM's are so easy to use and you don't have to play perfectly. There is room for mistakes. If you mess up with the PPC setup, you often end up dead very quick.

#11 Xandergod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 145 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

View Postarmyof1, on 20 March 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

Well if the OP is serious about not being a troll, then I can only conclude he's pretty much daft as anyone with a little common sense can see that missiles are so obviously bugged.

One of my first statements was to say that they were bugged. Reading is essential.

#12 Peter von Danzig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostLexLuther, on 20 March 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

But LRMs were still a joke. Before the patch, LRMs were a minor annoyance at best. Death to someone dumb enough to run across the battle field without cover or ECM. They were not a real threat to someone fighting for cover. After the patch what has changed? ECM still limits their effectiveness. If lock is broken, the missile will still stop tracking. Cover is still just as effective. They still have a range of 1km They still have the highest minimum range at 180m But they really hurt now. When used in conjunction with tag, they are a very effective weapons system. I'm pretty sure this is how LRMs are meant to be used.

Nice try to troll :-)

However if you think that LRM sucked before last patch, you have to learn to play with TAG, Artemis and group mates. LRM were lethal before, now the system is broken.

#13 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

LRMs should be reasonably scary. The problem is, they were *already* reasonably scary last patch. Like you said, they were *already* death to someone foolish enough to run out in the open. They didn't *need* any further increase in effectiveness. If that warning light went off and you ignored it, you were *already* in trouble. LRMs didn't need to be one-shotting people left and right to accomplish that.

Many times I've seen teammates got shot at by LRMs, run behind cover, and have the LRMs curve to track them before losing lock and flying straight. Twice last night those angles worked out so that the LRMs curved completely around the cover and hit me, standing completely out of sight behind the cover. Both times my head immediately exploded, and I fell over with the rest of my mech essentially unscratched. LRMs are not 'scary' right now, LRMs are a freaking nuclear armageddon.

#14 Mormaz

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

For the leg story, i just legged a couple of Ravens the last hour.

It's sad, but i don't fear them anymore !

But i agree, now i feel like i'm doing real support.

#15 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

View PostSheraf, on 20 March 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

I don't seem to have my leg destroyed when get LRMed though. It feels the same to me, but I do notice a lot of mechs got legged lately.

because your legs aren't missile proof anymore.

#16 Teralitha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

LRMs would be perfect if they did double TT damage, had no splash, could only be targeted with line of sight only or a TAGed/narced target out of line of sight, and had to be targeted to a specific hitbox, which would require skill of either the LRM carrier, or the TAGer/NARCer, with majority of missles attempting to hit the targetedhitbox and fire/forget.

That would be perfection.

Edited by Teralitha, 20 March 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#17 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

I always read, LRMs are broken, they killed me, But hey, what shouldt happens, if you get hitt by a Weaponsystem wich does more damage then 4AC20? What do you expect, a stratch at your Paintjobs? :)

#18 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Sry sir...how it should be is that the LRM 20 is as effective as a PPC....maybe you deal more damage...at better ranges. But when it comes down they are even.

The AC 20 should outmatch the LRM 20 everytime.

#19 Xandergod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 145 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostPeter von Danzig, on 20 March 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

Nice try to troll :-)

However if you think that LRM sucked before last patch, you have to learn to play with TAG, Artemis and group mates. LRM were lethal before, now the system is broken.

Tag can not be used on the A1 which is a pure missile platform.
I also stated that used in conjuction with Tag, they are far more deadly now then before which is very true.
I use Artemis
I never said you couldn't get kills with LRMs before the patch

#20 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 20 March 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Oh its also a great danger but runs far too hot and really limits what you can do. The LRM's are so easy to use and you don't have to play perfectly. There is room for mistakes. If you mess up with the PPC setup, you often end up dead very quick.

That 60 point of damage in one spot, even if it overheat after that, is something will seriously damage your mech. Some 6ppc stalker i saw has it team cover it while it shutting down. You can return fire to the LRM stalker, but must avoid looking at the ppc stalker as much as possible.

View PostOmni 13, on 20 March 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

because your legs aren't missile proof anymore.

I never said my leg is destroyed due to LRM.

Edited by Sheraf, 20 March 2013 - 07:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users