3D Printers & Mwo Miniatures

122 replies to this topic

#41 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 April 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

I'm gonna try to clean up this little guy and see if I can learn how to Blender-ize him in the next month if any 3D printer guys wanna have their very Own Urbie Bobblehead........

I would rather suggest you make orthos and find a modeller to do it for you.

Without any previous 3D knowledge, especially in Blender, a month is a very, very, very optimistic prediction.
And the first try always looks the worst, so...

That is if I'm right and you really don't know Blender (basing it on the fact you have rough time even with Photoshop/Gimp).

#42 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostAdridos, on 03 April 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

I would rather suggest you make orthos and find a modeller to do it for you.

Without any previous 3D knowledge, especially in Blender, a month is a very, very, very optimistic prediction.
And the first try always looks the worst, so...

That is if I'm right and you really don't know Blender (basing it on the fact you have rough time even with Photoshop/Gimp).

no no no.. you misunderstand, or I misstated.. I will be STARTING it in the next month.... optimistically. Finish? God only knows when, lol.

#43 AceTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • Location春日部市、埼玉県、日本; アメリカ: Arcadia, CA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostDasFreshMaker, on 03 April 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Really ? So... If Odanan agreed to create a model for me and I reimburse him for the cost of his materials & shipping, then PGI would not have any complaints ?

Yes, this of course is a gray area where how do you prove the other person is not making money. Any personal request would be done thru Pm. As for schematics they can be post ed on this thread directly. So all stl. Files are welcome. This is the same problem with the shirts.

Also it seems Topps is not actively pursuing their merchandising privileges since many online stores openly offer battletech merchandise. I'm still trying to get a public statement from them

#44 DasFreshMaker

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAjax, Ontario

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 03 April 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Yes, this of course is a gray area where how do you prove the other person is not making money. Any personal request would be done thru Pm. As for schematics they can be post ed on this thread directly. So all stl. Files are welcome. This is the same problem with the shirts.

Also it seems Topps is not actively pursuing their merchandising privileges since many online stores openly offer battletech merchandise. I'm still trying to get a public statement from them

I'd avoid the PM premise, as it's a PGI forum, and go the email route; just to be sure. :D

#45 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostDasFreshMaker, on 04 April 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

I'd avoid the PM premise, as it's a PGI forum, and go the email route; just to be sure. :rolleyes:

Yea that be beat but PMs should be just Pm's anyways.and again. Stl files are safe as long as they are user created

#46 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

Nice! I liked the idea of the "official" thread, but should I start a new one? Or we will use this topic?

#47 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 27 March 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

alright since the last patch introduced custom weapon models to the catapult i figured i'd change my model to reflect the catapult I run ingame, and here's the result.
It currently carries 2 ERPPC's 2 medium lasers and a Gauss with 20 shots and an AMS.
I'm going to print this at TT size first. before blowing it up to 1:60 scale

[badass Catapult K2]

Now that's an impressive Catapult!

#48 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostOdanan, on 06 April 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

Nice! I liked the idea of the "official" thread, but should I start a new one? Or we will use this topic?

Maybe Start a new one.... "Official 3D Printer STL Schematics" or something fancy fitting 3d printers and all their glory

#49 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 03 April 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

This is NOT a grey area. It's 100%, absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, illegal. PGI paid to have those models created and have a copyright on all of them.

LET ME BE CLEAR - IT IS 100% ILLEGAL TO TAKE A 3D MODEL THAT YOU DID NOT MAKE AND HAVE IT PRINTED.

If PGI decides not to pursue legal action, that's their choice. Please do not spread rumor about this being legal or grey area, as it is not. A lot of people make a living off of designing 3d models (either as art or for rapid prototyping) and it's no different than spinning off prints while the artist is doing all the work for none of the money.

Even if you aren't charging for it, the artist is still doing all the work without being paid. You should always ask permission to use art assets before doing anything with them. I can't be any more clear about how it's both illegal and immoral to steal art.

EDIT

I should expand a little further:

I have no problem if all parties involved are properly reimbursed. I have experience making models for 3d print (even sold a few!) and I know a guy who is pretty dominate in the industry (lets just say a lot of table top gaming companies contract him to make mechs and vehicles for their games). I have no problem lending my experience to get some high quality and well made models out for the table top.

I think it would be great if the new designs could replace the old 80's robots and draw in a newer generation of gamers that just can't take the old stuff seriously.

But it has to be done right.

Edited by S3dition, 06 April 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#50 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostS3dition, on 06 April 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

This is NOT a grey area. It's 100%, absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, illegal. PGI paid to have those models created and have a copyright on all of them.

LET ME BE CLEAR - IT IS 100% ILLEGAL TO TAKE A 3D MODEL THAT YOU DID NOT MAKE AND HAVE IT PRINTED.

If PGI decides not to pursue legal action, that's their choice. Please do not spread rumor about this being legal or grey area, as it is not. A lot of people make a living off of designing 3d models (either as art or for rapid prototyping) and it's no different than spinning off prints while the artist is doing all the work for none of the money.

Even if you aren't charging for it, the artist is still doing all the work without being paid. You should always ask permission to use art assets before doing anything with them. I can't be any more clear about how it's both illegal and immoral to steal art.

EDIT

I should expand a little further:

I have no problem if all parties involved are properly reimbursed. I have experience making models for 3d print (even sold a few!) and I know a guy who is pretty dominate in the industry (lets just say a lot of table top gaming companies contract him to make mechs and vehicles for their games). I have no problem lending my experience to get some high quality and well made models out for the table top.

I think it would be great if the new designs could replace the old 80's robots and draw in a newer generation of gamers that just can't take the old stuff seriously.

But it has to be done right.

They actually Can't do anything with the 3D models and my Dad is Friends with Ryan O'Hara (Topps CEO) and the Bishop Family(Major Stock Holders) are family Friends. As Catalyst has all mech production rights as long as people are coming up with the designs themselves even if they look like MWO mechs and don't sell them its okay

Viterbi' 'Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:06 AM said:

At this time, we do not have models to provide you for creating your own 3D prints. It sounds like a very interesting proposition, but unfortunately we can't provide you with these assets.

You're welcome to generate user-created BattleTech items, (so long as you're not making profit on MechWarrior Online licenced material), though it is prohibited to solicited others for such projects.

With that being said, we would love to see what you come up with, so be sure to send us a photo if you end up creating something interesting.

Pretty much as long as you don't effectively sell anything than its okay. PGI/IGP have Zero Merchandising rights and can't make money on any of their designs out side of MWO. Thats why the Shirts we got at the Nvidia Event had to be given to us because they couldn't charge money. Prosperity also asked about making custom Tile Art and selling it and Russ said that everything pertaining to MWO just can't be sold commercially.

So just post some STLs and lets do this

Ah forgot: Okay so Limitations on them are pretty much anything pertaining to MWO directly is okay as long as nothing is being taken away from Catalyst

The Mr.O'Hara thing: I just want him to say something publicly about the Merchandising rights but He doesn't think anyone would care

If PGI and Catalyst Team up and They get Figs printed then yes you should stop and not print anything. again if you are coming up with the designs ur self form the ground up then we are good. PGI is not willing to give you their own assets to work off of. Lets just keep it kosher

Edited by AceTimberwolf, 07 April 2013 - 12:54 AM.

#51 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 07 April 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

They actually Can't do anything with the 3D models and my Dad is Friends with Ryan O'Hara (Topps CEO) and the Bishop Family(Major Stock Holders) are family Friends. As Catalyst has all mech production rights as long as people are coming up with the designs themselves even if they look like MWO mechs and don't sell them its okay

Pretty much as long as you don't effectively sell anything than its okay. PGI/IGP have Zero Merchandising rights and can't make money on any of their designs out side of MWO. Thats why the Shirts we got at the Nvidia Event had to be given to us because they couldn't charge money. Prosperity also asked about making custom Tile Art and selling it and Russ said that everything pertaining to MWO just can't be sold commercially.

So just post some STLs and lets do this

Ah forgot: Okay so Limitations on them are pretty much anything pertaining to MWO directly is okay as long as nothing is being taken away from Catalyst

The Mr.O'Hara thing: I just want him to say something publicly about the Merchandising rights but He doesn't think anyone would care

If PGI and Catalyst Team up and They get Figs printed then yes you should stop and not print anything. again if you are coming up with the designs ur self form the ground up then we are good. PGI is not willing to give you their own assets to work off of. Lets just keep it kosher

Completely wrong, and a "I know people who know people, so I can get away with anything" attitude. PGI own those designs. Merchandising doesn't matter. YOU DO NOT OWN THOSE DESIGNS. Did I say it clear enough? YOU DO NOT OWN THOSE MODELS? Clearer? YOU DO NOT OWN THE RIGHT TO USE ANYTHING PGI MAKES. Does that work? Topps can make their own mechs and cast them, yes. But they cannot take FASA designs, Microsoft designs, or PGI designs. That is against US and international copyright laws. Merchandise rights mean absolutely nothing if you violate copyright laws in the process. You might want to look up those laws first. You're smacking a hornet nest with a shovel otherwise.

EDIT:

I can post sources where people like you have lost their cases, if you'd like? Hell, take the FASA vs Harmony Gold case. Lets start there.

Edited by S3dition, 07 April 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#52 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:04 AM

At this time, we do not have models to provide you for creating your own 3D prints. It sounds like a very interesting proposition, but unfortunately we can't provide you with these assets.

You're welcome to generate user-created BattleTech items, (so long as you're not making profit on MechWarrior Online licenced material), though it is prohibited to solicited others for such projects.

With that being said, we would love to see what you come up with, so be sure to send us a photo if you end up creating something interesting.

Anymore?

I'm just quoting Staff

and because it makes me feel better
日本から世界へ!
Posted Image

Edited by AceTimberwolf, 07 April 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#53 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

User created. Did you read anything I posted? Try literacy and try again.

#54 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

View PostS3dition, on 07 April 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

User created. Did you read anything I posted? Try literacy and try again.

Read anything I post? Aslong as you design the STL files from the ground up without using their assets then we are all good. Like that Guass Kitty with the Cicada Blinders. Part MWO design and part Made up. You can invision the MWO Mechs and give them your twist. Actually make Laser barrels different sizes and all that good stuff

#55 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 07 April 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

Read anything I post? Aslong as you design the STL files from the ground up without using their assets then we are all good. Like that Guass Kitty with the Cicada Blinders. Part MWO design and part Made up. You can invision the MWO Mechs and give them your twist. Actually make Laser barrels different sizes and all that good stuff

So you're designing your own stuff? "thumbs up"

Again, did you read anything I posted, or are you just arguing with me because you're bored?

#56 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

View PostS3dition, on 07 April 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

So you're designing your own stuff? "thumbs up"

Again, did you read anything I posted, or are you just arguing with me because you're bored?

Little of both an I really wanted to post the Japanese Flag in the Wang thread but some chinese person might hack me find me and kill me. Much Love S3dition much Love = P. I did get a rise out of you tho.

I blame the Wang thread... Lets blame them

Edited by AceTimberwolf, 07 April 2013 - 01:16 AM.

#57 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 07 April 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

Little of both an I really wanted to post the Japanese Flag in the Wang thread but some chinese person might hack me find me and kill me. Much Love S3dition much Love = P. I did get a rise out of you tho.

I blame the Wang thread... Lets blame them

To the spirit of the thread:

Posted Image

I already posted there. It would take more than "one chinese person" [sic] to hack you. They have an army of hackers ready to lay waste to their political enemies, yes, but you are small potatoes and hacking doesn't work that way. Me? I have a tiny little degree in netsec. Just a widdle degree.

You could revolt against Battletech in general and try to bring down those terrible powers that created all that is canon. Let me know how it goes, I have writing and modeling to do.

Best wishes and toodles!

#58 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

I find it odd that none of the staff really put something clearly here that outlined what is allowed and what not. Seems like PGI don't mind us using their models etc because a topic such as how to extract the models was not locked / deleted which proofs they actually encourage the community to come up with new art even if it is based off their artwork.

Also, it is odd that a simple number such as 2 and 3 can make such huge difference. I bet you can print in 2D and hang it on your wall with no legal action, so why not print in 3D and put it on your desk ?

I guess the key word will always be money.

#59 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:01 AM

After several tries to get it printed The printer finaly took the file now that all the errors have been removed from it, and i've decided to print an entire lance of all 4 catapult variants. for myself. I'll post pics once I get the models.

here's the C4 model i finished putting together last night
Posted Image
sadly the small stuff like the handholds and the antenna are too small to be printed so i had to take those off, but i leave them on for the renders cause they look cool.

Also Founders catapult K2 :P just cause i can

Posted Image

Edited by Sentinel373, 08 April 2013 - 03:13 AM.

#60 DasFreshMaker

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAjax, Ontario

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 08 April 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

After several tries to get it printed The printer finaly took the file now that all the errors have been removed from it, and i've decided to print an entire lance of all 4 catapult variants. for myself. I'll post pics once I get the models.

here's the C4 model i finished putting together last night
Posted Image
sadly the small stuff like the handholds and the antenna are too small to be printed so i had to take those off, but i leave them on for the renders cause they look cool.

Also Founders catapult K2 :angry: just cause i can

Posted Image

Bloody brilliant. Great work, mate !!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users