• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostJestun, on 03 May 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

What did it actually mean?

Forum Posters - (QQers + Mockers) = Everyone else

It makes no claims as to the number of posters, it just states that aside from a few, people have just moved on.

#202 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

We do not need to cuss. We do not need to get off topic. While it may be true that they will do whatever it takes to get third person into the game and general Discussion out of the forums it will do us no good to give them a reason to close this thread.
I want General Discussion back.
I feel that the referendum was at best a manipulative effort at shutting up the community outrage over it.
I am saddened by the fact that a large number of sheeple fell for it.

#203 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostDishevel, on 03 May 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

We do not need to cuss. We do not need to get off topic. While it may be true that they will do whatever it takes to get third person into the game and general Discussion out of the forums it will do us no good to give them a reason to close this thread.
I want General Discussion back.

Liked for this bit.

#204 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

Here's a suggestion:

Move the "[Insert Month] Creative Director Update" from the Announcements forum, to the Developer Corner forum, under command chair.

The announcements forum, I feel, is more the place for, well... announcing events (like tournaments), or server outages, or planned maintenance periods. Stuff that's just like "Hey! This ****'s going to happen soon so pay attention," and not stuff like "here's our overall plan for this next month."

#205 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

As long as we do not get off topic, and we are civil there is no reason to close it.
If it is closed then if I want to discuss it I have to make a new thread. They do not want new threads on this.
They are perfectly happy having this thread right here. Any new threads can be insta-locked with a quick post that they have an area to discuss it.

I would still love to see an official response as to why we can not have what almost every other game forum has.
Is it IGPs postition that here at MWO we have the worst and most unruly set of forum goers to ever exist?
Or do they feel that all the good moderators have been taken by other companies and those left for MWO are not up to the task?
Are they of the opinion that good moderation is just too expensive and that they are going to take the money saved on real moderation and use it to hire code monkeys to kill the bugs?
Or could it be another reason that I have not touched on?

Edited by Dishevel, 03 May 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#206 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

This thread is not going to be closed.

This is the thread for offering Suggestions regarding the ENTIRE forum structure. There is more to the forum-feedback process than just debating the existence/nonexistence of General Discussion.

Please try to keep this thread on the topic of offering Suggestions to the Staff regarding the structure of the forums, and not arguing over who IGP cares about and doesn't care about ;-)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 03 May 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#207 LiirZuul

Clone

• 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Why doesnt this game gave a "General Discussion" forum? I can see the forum but then it opens to several other trees and I cant seem to figure out how to get there.

#208 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Because we are not allowed to have one.
Ask too much and bad things may happen.

#209 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yup with third person they straight let us know that what we wanted would fall on deaf ears as you can see from my signature.
They will not be that honest again though.

#210 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

I would like to point out it only takes maybe 15 minutes to throw up a new forum section like general discussion. Obviously PGI doesn't care.

#211 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostAccused, on 04 May 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

I would like to point out it only takes maybe 15 minutes to throw up a new forum section like general discussion. Obviously PGI doesn't care.

It's not that they don't care, it's that they think they know better.

In many ways this is even worse than not caring.

Edited by Jestun, 04 May 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#212 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

IGP = "The New Smedley"

So I vote that not only that they should keep us from posting to much on the forums and I also think they should run the servers of really buff tablets running Windows 8.

#213 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

So who wants to get in on a pool for when this gets unstickied now that theyve got UI 2.0 to wave in front of our ADD faces and we forgot about this topic entirely?

I mean itas only been ten days since the last post

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 15 May 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#214 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:04 AM

I'd be interested in seeing some numbers, pre- and post-reconfiguration of the boards, to see if usage has changed. I know it has for me... i'll occasionally check the boards, but it's a once a day thing now instead of having it basically open all day in the background at work and at home, and I'm posting far less frequently. I wonder if that's the case for many of the GD regulars.

Given that, perhaps that's the goal? Is it mission accomplished, PGI? I'd like to think I was a pretty good poster; I wasn't looking for flame wars, I might not always have added constructively to topics but I certainly tried. How many folks like me, who weren't a part of the problem, were chased away by PGI's throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

#215 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostFerretGR, on 16 May 2013 - 05:04 AM, said:

I'd be interested in seeing some numbers, pre- and post-reconfiguration of the boards, to see if usage has changed. I know it has for me... i'll occasionally check the boards, but it's a once a day thing now instead of having it basically open all day in the background at work and at home, and I'm posting far less frequently. I wonder if that's the case for many of the GD regulars.

As would I, but I doubt PGI would release those figures given how bad they would look.

So we are left with 3rd party traffic monitoring websites:

View PostJestun, on 14 May 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

For anyone who is unclear on how traffic to these forums has changed since the removal of general discussion, have a look here: http://www.alexa.com...fo/mwomercs.com

NOTE: Remember to check various timeframes so you can check for any pattern of activity after a patch (a common excuse given, which in no way explains the drop-off since the changes).

Time on site in minutes - lower than it's been since Q2 2012.

Percentage of bounces (single page sessions) - higher than it's been since Q2 2012.

Page views per user - lower than it's been since Q2 2012.

I'm sorry, but when the figures are worse than they've been in for a whole year you cannot use the 2 week patch schedule as an excuse for a lull in forum activity.

Edited by Jestun, 16 May 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#216 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

They are throwing out the BT/MW people for the Farmville players.
No babies here.

#217 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

See the margins? Over to the right and to the left? All that blank space except for the background image?

Populate those margins, not with the inane twitter feed, but with some game feeds...you could have a little screen that shows recent battle scores, or maybe have a "kill feed", where every kill gets a ticker on the kill list......

Lots of possibilities for those margins. They should stop wasting space and become functional already.

#218 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

I suggest a general discussuin forum exactly like what5 WE had before.

#219 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

View PostJestun, on 16 May 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

As would I, but I doubt PGI would release those figures given how bad they would look.

So we are left with 3rd party traffic monitoring websites:

Posted Image

Looks like I'm not the only one whose habits changed.

#220 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

View PostFerretGR, on 17 May 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

Posted Image

Looks like I'm not the only one whose habits changed.

That is not the point. What they want is more Facebook comments and Twitter followers.
The forums can burn for all they care. Nothing here but Google searchable comments about what may be wrong about the game. The less of that there is the better for them.
At least I think that is what they believe.
Mark my words, MWO will not be a niche game. They are going to make it big or kill it trying.

Also ... MWO is a niche game.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users