Forum Suggestions

244 replies to this topic

#221 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostDishevel, on 17 May 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

That is not the point. What they want is more Facebook comments and Twitter followers.
The forums can burn for all they care. Nothing here but Google searchable comments about what may be wrong about the game. The less of that there is the better for them.
At least I think that is what they believe.
Mark my words, MWO will not be a niche game. They are going to make it big or kill it trying.

Also ... MWO is a niche game.

or they could be looking for a more digestible form for the feedback. instead of having to sift through pages of hate mail in search of that one thread that has some useful feedback, they now have it all separated out so that panning out the little bit of gold is more feasible.

and to continue the metaphor: before they were using 55 gallon drums to pan out the little bits of gold, now they have shrunk them down to a series of more manageable pans or a sluice box like structure. all of the useless crap just washes away now.

since the change i have seen a massive increase in the number of staff responses to different suggestions that have been listed. before hearing things like "i will pass this idea on" were unimaginable, now they are becoming somewhat regular.

Edited by blinkin, 17 May 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#222 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postblinkin, on 17 May 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

or they could be looking for a more digestible form for the feedback. instead of having to sift through pages of hate mail in search of that one thread that has some useful feedback, they now have it all separated out so that panning out the little bit of gold is more feasible.

Well, two things I take issue with here: one, the idea that the GD forum was nothing but "pages of hate mail" when there were plenty of good discussions and plenty of them were on page 1, and two, that the "sluice box" isn't just washing away the crap, but the gold as well. I'll admit that I'm a little biased, but I don't think my post were useless crap or hate mail. My usage of the forums has gone down significantly. How many other folks were like me, making worthwhile contributions in the GD forum, but since the folks who congregated there have been spread to the four winds, just don't bother to go looking? How does that improve anything? That's the baby and the bathwater I was referring to earlier.

Besides, I don't see a reduction in the complaining. A complainer who I know noted that it seems like now, every forum is filled with the complainers that used to stick to GD. Seems to me that the quality posters and the crap posters were hit equally with this change, and now we just have less posters period, with the ratio of good to crap remaining precisely where it was.

Edited by FerretGR, 17 May 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#223 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostFerretGR, on 17 May 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Well, two things I take issue with here: one, the idea that the GD forum was nothing but "pages of hate mail" when there were plenty of good discussions and plenty of them were on page 1, and two, that the "sluice box" isn't just washing away the crap, but the gold as well. I'll admit that I'm a little biased, but I don't think my post were useless crap or hate mail. My usage of the forums has gone down significantly. How many other folks were like me, making worthwhile contributions in the GD forum, but since the folks who congregated there have been spread to the four winds, just don't bother to go looking? How does that improve anything? That's the baby and the bathwater I was referring to earlier.

Besides, I don't see a reduction in the complaining. A complainer who I know noted that it seems like now, every forum is filled with the complainers that used to stick to GD. Seems to me that the quality posters and the crap posters were hit equally with this change, and now we just have less posters period, with the ratio of good to crap remaining precisely where it was.

reduction probably not but the few useful threads don't get immediately shoved to the bottom by all of the rage and QQ. i didn't necessarily mean to imply that everything in GD was useless, but forums naturally collect a thick layer of hate and QQ threads that don't add anything to any argument. angry people tend to post more so the hate fests rapidly claim the first few pages and any discussion that requires thought as opposed to a knee jerk reaction quickly ends up in the dark unexplored regions of the forums.

this doesn't solve the problem but it does a decent job of keeping good threads from sinking as quickly.

#224 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Continuing from "Add a General Forum"

View PostLivewyr, on 19 May 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

One would think being around this game long enough would make you more pessimistic.

(I know I was a white knight once..then I took an ECM post to the eyes.)

Dude, I made this meme once upon a time:

Posted Image

Then I took a game update to the eye

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2315318

#225 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Niko I had a suggestion. How about a filter? We have the content tracker to find individual user content, but if the same tool could be tweaked to show all content from everybody in order of activity, I think it will assist in replacing the "tool" that the general forums used to represent.

#226 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 21 March 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

The HPG Network, or Forums, as some like to call them, are essential to us in many ways.
We rely on organization of various forms of Feedback and ideas to allow for easy flow of this information to help us make the game better.

Similarly, the forums are very much the home of this Community in many ways. In recognition of such, I am opening up this discussion floor for ideas for how to change the forum structure to make it more intuitive and useful for you, the MechWarriors.

So, what sub-forum(s) would you like to see?

Assuming the forums are still supposed to be "the home of the community" and not just a feedback database, can we please have General Discussion back again?

Or was "the home of the community" just your position back in March?

#227 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

For the search function.

Is it possible to show the first and last posted entry date in the thread.

Able to select sort orders chronologically either as the earliest or most recent having the priority order.

#228 RiSE

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

A 'What's New' button showing new forum topics & topic replies, would be handy and very useful, most forums have this by default.
Anyways, give us a way to see new stuff and posts..

#229 Kymlaar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSeattle Region

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:39 AM

I know it's been posted many times, but can we have the general discussion forum back?

Keep the sub-forums as sub-forums, but leave us general discussion. The categories provided aren't, in any way, general discussions. They're very very focused discussions. The only way "Gameplay Balance" could become even less general is if it became "Weapon Balance," and then "Laser Balance." Basically, for anything I want to follow a discussion topic now I have to de-generalize what I'm looking to watch a great deal to determine the category it fits in. Very frustrating.

I know, mentioned many times, just wanted to throw my hat in the ring.

Edited by Kymlaar, 04 June 2013 - 03:42 AM.

#230 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Here is my idea #1 Install a live chat lobby in this forum and in the game launcher.#2 Reopen a new General forums like a big say what you want section.#3 Fix the forums for Windows8 and the enter key problems.

#231 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

I dont know if it was already postet
but it would be great to
have the abillity to see preemptive if a dev/igp
dude postet in a topic and directly jump to it
like in the Bnet forums

#232 redreaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

A proper forum or tool to submit bugs and request support.

#233 K o i l

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostDorado, on 22 March 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

A DevTracker is sorely needed in my opinion. These forums move way too fast to read through hours of rage and troll every time somebody has a complaint about a new change. Right now many of us are using this thread, which is insufficient if you don't check it regularly. A proper one would be greatly appreciated.

^^^ This.

You need a DevTracker. A subforum where every post a Dev makes is placed within it.

Call it the Yellow Room or something, but make it so the website automatically logs any Dev post to this sub-forum, with a description of who the author is, the sub-forum it was posted under originally, and possibly the thread subject. No other posts allowed. This will allow us to follow Dev traffic and information MUCH more easily.

As an example, here's how Blizzard does it:

Posted Image

#234 Xadhoom

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

I would like you to either change the colors on the forums, or give the option of an alternate skin.

As it is, the background color is a very dark grey (#191919) and the text a medium grey (#959595). The color contrast difference of these colors is just 5.9:1, but should be at least 7:1 to ensure adequate readability. As it is, the forum really only works at night or with the curtains drawn.

I would prefer the option to have black text on white background. This will both maximize readability for people with reduced eyesight, and for all users browsing your forums while enjoying a cold beverage on a sunny day.

A mobile-friendly version of the forums would also be fantastic, but I appreciate that this is a grander undertaking than adjusting the colors.

#235 Reod Daie

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

While we are able to keep track of our most basic of stats (kills, losses, ect.) might I suggest also tracking "assists", "savior kills", and "components destroyed". After all, we recieve experience for such things, why not keep track of them as well. Also, it would be cool to know what weapons and mechs we die from the most, as well as a history of what mechs we've killed (and who they were piloted by).

#236 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Frigid North

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Bring back the "general" area of the "general discussion".

#237 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Suggestion: Lets move the "Home of the Community" into the game where it should be. You all know the changes that need to be made. Get to it PGI.

#238 Emetivore

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

I think you have WAY TOO MANY SUBFORUMS on this site. I feel like I have to browse 20 different pages here instead of maybe 4.

How about you combine A LOT of these and narrow it down to General Discussion, Tech Support, and like 2-3 others?

#239 k0sh

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

I would like to request faster node for Forum as current one seems to work slow and even show database error. Too many people discussing :)

Also I would like to see notifications when I follow topic as it seems to be broken at the moment.

#240 Tethyss

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

You have way too many forums and topics. Heaven forbid a new player try to find their way around here. They would likely be lost.

Consolidate and be concise.

If you're not sure how to organize and be efficient, ask or start a new topic soliciting suggestions.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users