Third Person View Dividing Community

69 replies to this topic

#21 zverofaust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 22 March 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Like focus on good game play and less on dingdongs for the cockpit. Yeah that would work.

Are you an internal tester?

Maybe.

No.

But I actually know some people who (probably) are.

But they are just Facebook friends that I haven't actually talked to in years.

Edited by zverofaust, 22 March 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#22 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostFrupertApricot, on 22 March 2013 - 05:55 AM, said:

How are you going to run a game as a competitive venture when you are splitting the community with a feature only about 5 percent of the community seem to actually want? maybe if little to no people use the 3rd person view qeue they will just let it die?

the problem is if they make 3rd person DEFAULT VIEW people will get a completely wrong idea of the experience and fun of mechwarrior.

What will official tournaments or events use?

How do you say ok maybe your right maybe your not? I know lets put a feature in the game like 3rd person and first person view place a check box in options for each type of view queue separate players for each onto maps and lets se what happens or how popular each is. A true test of likes or dislikes in actual game play we can see the stats coming off of server reports? Like i have posted before if you don't want to play 3rd person what do you do? A=quit or B=DONT CHECK THE BOX i would say most people can make up there own dammm mind on which they like to play just like arm reticule lock.

#23 deadeye mcduck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationOutside the periphery

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Keep 3rd person to training grounds only, that way you can learn to pilot your mech without any advantage.

I do not want to see 3rd person in battles, and if its implemented I for one will be leaving for good.

#24 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

View Postdeadeye mcduck, on 22 March 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

Keep 3rd person to training grounds only, that way you can learn to pilot your mech without any advantage.

I do not want to see 3rd person in battles, and if its implemented I for one will be leaving for good.

SEEEE YA will be missing youuuu IF you(mcduck) want to play only first person view with other first person view players what do i do? A=quit? or B=Check the box for first person view only and be dropped on maps with other FPV players? The thing is 3rd person view and first person view should not be mixed and have there own queued MM options.

#25 Rutok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

View Postmike29tw, on 22 March 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

I prefer this game stays in first person. That being said, I can totally understand why PIG wants to implement 3rd person view. F2P games rely on a huge player base and a low entry barrier. Currently MWO has neither.

If PGI really has to make 3rd person available, I hope they tweak the camera position so that 3rd person view doesn't grant you any significant advantage over first person player. If you have to do it, do it right and do it fairly. Don't split the community.

Its not that the entry barrier is too high.. the game is just too boring and broken. 3rd Person is a feature thats (probably) not that hard to make, but can be marketed as "new feature"

There is no reason to implement 3rd person that cant be achieved by some other mechanic. If noobs get their legs confused they could just add a toogle that would auto - center the legs to the torso direction (maybe after a delay).

#26 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Its just insane because it will make CW/tournaments have a completely odd division.

#27 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

With 3rd person view we could possibly get the red vs blue of battletech. Also, yay for being able to see my paintjobs! 3rd person could help let you know how your camo meshes with each map.

But in all seriousness, I don't care about 3rd. I might use it everyone once in a while, I might not. We'll see how it looks when they introduce it to the training grounds.

I mean look at this damn thread, if anyone doesn't think the 1st person only queue is going to be massively populated they're fooling themselves.

Edited by hammerreborn, 22 March 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#28 Lee Ving

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostNRP, on 22 March 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

As I understand it, 3rd person is a choice and not mandatory. Therefore, just select "First Person Only" and carry on as usual. Whether or not the majority of regular players want 3rd person should be clearly evident. Nothing to worry too much about imo.

Except that isn't the issue; the issue is Mechwarrior 4 / Mechassault experiences and exploiting third person for a tactical advantage in the field.

#29 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

yeah when you have 3rd person poptarting becomes INSANELY effective and it also negates the need for good scouting and ridge silhouette control

#30 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

View Posthammerreborn, on 22 March 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

With 3rd person view we could possibly get the red vs blue of battletech. Also, yay for being able to see my paintjobs! 3rd person could help let you know how your camo meshes with each map.

But in all seriousness, I don't care about 3rd. I might use it everyone once in a while, I might not. We'll see how it looks when they introduce it to the training grounds.

I mean look at this damn thread, if anyone doesn't think the 1st person only queue is going to be massively populated they're fooling themselves.

When we MWLL/NBT did a in-depth study from ZONE.stats and independent server setting play types for MW3-MW4 we found almost a 50/50% ratio in games played in both views. And all leagues had bolth game play options so i really don't understand why its a problem if you have the option to play both and if they don't mix the MM queues?---> Except that isn't the issue; the issue is Mechwarrior 4 / Mechassault experiences and exploiting third person for a tactical advantage in the field. this was only a issue because of no segregated MM and drops mostly on open servers.

#31 Livebait

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts
  • LocationDrop ship Alpha, drinking beer

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

It dose not split the community. It abandons the community. The community wanted 1st P only & ECM fixed to reflect TT iteration.

So, now these mental midgets are going 3P. Okay so then the effects of ECM are slightly mitigated by a 3P view. So just fix the stupid thing so players can use it correctly in 1st P view. There decision making is so disjointed and strange.

PGI stop smoking crack before you program the game. Please.

#32 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

The reality is that haters are gonna hate .. .and FANBOIS are going fawn.

That is the *split* and the only split. It's not necessarily 3rd person view, it's just how people are.

As I just stated in another thread, I will wait to see how 3rd person is implemented, then I will decide if I like it or not.

This is an FPS game right now, but it doesn't *work* like all other FPS games. Why? cause in all other successful FPS games, you can "instantly" spin to not only *see* what is attacking you, but also attack back.

MWO can't implement the "instantly spin" to attack, but at least 3rd person might allow you to *know / see* those that are behind you.

Wait? That's too OP you say? depends on what you give up to get that view. Maybe you give up some accuracy, maybe your convergence for lock is slower, etc, etc.

I am opposed to being "forced" to play in FPS or 3rd Person mode ... as long as both are viable and each has strengths / weaknesses that make them fair and balanced, then I personally won't have a problem.

So, the divide between Haters and Fanbois will always be there ... maybe both sides will just learn to not pass judgement (good or bad) until they actually see how it works.

On the other hand, somethings are just downright offensive ... like Pay-For-Power stuff ... like artillery ... we can all rush to judgement on stuff like that :-).

#33 Lee Ving

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 22 March 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

When we MWLL/NBT did a in-depth study from ZONE.stats and independent server setting play types for MW3-MW4 we found almost a 50/50% ratio in games played in both views. And all leagues had bolth game play options so i really don't understand why its a problem if you have the option to play both and if they don't mix the MM queues?---> Except that isn't the issue; the issue is Mechwarrior 4 / Mechassault experiences and exploiting third person for a tactical advantage in the field. this was only a issue because of no segregated MM and drops mostly on open servers.

I'm not familiar with Zone.stats and I cannot comment on them. I can state that MW3 and MW4 were widely seen as inferior in all but graphics to MW2 and earlier iterations. Why? because M$ took some liberal license with implementation.

Noting that leagues allow both views WHEN THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN INCLUDED IN THE GAME AND ARE ACTIVELY BEING PLAYED is not an indicator of anything except the league wants to survive and be available to the whole population of the game.

#34 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostKaldor, on 22 March 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

3rd person is fine providing it provides no advantage over 1st person view. In other words, 3rd person sees the same thing as the 1st person. Its not that freaking hard. Honestly for some builds, 3rd person is going to suck.

Stop knee jerking, and let the devs do their thing. We need to build player base. If this does it, fine. The mass outcry reminds me alot of all the complaining about having to go change a setting when they added the lock for the targeting reticule, and throttle decay. Stop the crying.

You apparently don't know what your talking about. Tell me exactly how 3rd person does not provide a distinct advantage over 1st person ? Being able to see around buildings or hillsides that cannot normally be seen without walking around them isn't an advantage ? Being able to see over the hill on Frozen City without peaking over it isn't an advantage ? Those are exactly some of the things that would be able to be done using 3rd person view. I call that a serious advantage over 1st person view. I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would agree with me.

The other changes you mention do not effect the overall outcome of the game. Those are things that one could assume and believe that a mech would be able to do. However, sitting in a cockpit and seeing the outside of your mech is not believable. So instead of telling people to stop crying. Perhaps you should stop promoting game breaking mechanics. If/when it is implemented, there will be very little point in using 1st person view because of the severe advantages provided by 3rd person mode.

Also, stop saying "Knee Jerk" or Knee Jerk reactions". Is is possibly the dumbest phrase I have ever heard in my entire life.

#35 Maliconus

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern U.S.A.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

Step away from the Crack Pipe....Just say "NO"

#36 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

View Postdeadeye mcduck, on 22 March 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

So... you think teaching people to play one way, and then having them play a more restricted way is a good idea? Did you consider that statement at all before putting it forth for public ridicule?

View PostImperial X, on 22 March 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

You apparently don't know what your talking about. Tell me exactly how 3rd person does not provide a distinct advantage over 1st person ? Being able to see around buildings or hillsides that cannot normally be seen without walking around them isn't an advantage ? Being able to see over the hill on Frozen City without peaking over it isn't an advantage ? Those are exactly some of the things that would be able to be done using 3rd person view. I call that a serious advantage over 1st person view. I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would agree with me.

OK, I'll tell you how it's not an advantage. If you choose not to play against them, they never gain any advantage from it, and if everyone playing a given match has it, there's no one to gain an advantage on. Any other stupid questions?

View PostImperial X, on 22 March 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Also, stop saying "Knee Jerk" or Knee Jerk reactions". Is is possibly the dumbest phrase I have ever heard in my entire life.

Listen to yourself more..... :D

#37 Kahoumono

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I feel there is so much outrage over 3rd person and many other topics is because PGI has a history of saying one thing and doing another (No consumables, no 3rd person, etc.). Need I add their history of balancing weapons and equipment? Yes, PGI says they will split the queues but when push comes to shove and they don't have enough to populate the matches what do you think they'll do? Once something is given it is very difficult to take away. One thing for sure is that 3rd person view is a complete advantage because you can see more than if you were in the cockpit.

#38 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

To all of you saying "but the community doesn't want this!"

People need to read and comprehend what Bryan writes. He states in plain English that the folks that post on these forums (and vote in user made polls) represent a demographic that is a small portion of the total player base. So the rage threads and polls aren't the definitive source of information that people think they are. Tough cookies. Get over it. You aren't as important as you think.

3rd person isn't that big of a deal.

Edited by malibu43, 22 March 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#39 Boo Boo Bear

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

why not have both? keep it in your options as first or third person view?

#40 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostKahoumono, on 22 March 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

snip (blah blah blah)

One thing for sure is that 3rd person view is a complete advantage because you can see more than if you were in the cockpit.

So you have tried PGI's version of 3rd Person already then? Please capture some video for the rest of poor slobs that have not had that privilege just yet ... please?

Otherwise, your simply talking out of your arse and it really stinks, just like everything else that comes out of it too.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users