Slam On The Breaks Pgi!

39 replies to this topic

#1 Grim Omens

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Okay, before we begin let us think of the current consumable modules (as of 3/22/13). Right now, from what I have gathered and what they have proposed, the system seems fair and it makes some of those silly builds (6 PPC Stalker) some what more viable. It allows people to run hotter mechs and not suffer to much until their consumables run out. Furthermore, I know some people think differently of this and I understand the pros and cons, please feel free to post your opinion on the current consumables in this topic. Now lets get to the nitty gritty part, shall we?

The new consumable system they wish to implement is described here: http://mwomercs.com/...-drawing-board/

Now after giving that a thorough read over, lets do some number crunching shall we? If we look at the 40,000 CB Artillery Strike, 6 shells fired and each shell does 10 points of damage. That is 60 points of damage PLUS splash over a fifty meter radius. Furthermore, there is a global cooldown for everyone once the Artillery strike has been fired (4 seconds). That means, when you are running with even a regular 4 man premade, that is a total of 240 damage over one minute in a fifty meter radius. HOW DOES THAT NOT SOUND OP?!

If this scenario played out against a lance of DDC's, the DDC pilots would end up dead because there would be NOTHING they could do to escape the rain. If this done to a bunch of mediums, they may or may not live depending on their speed. Lights may have it really bad due to the splash ruining their legs. As for heavies, they would be in the same boats as mediums; dependent on the situation. Are there any pros? Apart from terrorizing your enemy with a hailstorm of bullets, and cleaning up stragglers who threaten to take points - none that I can see. If you saw a light capping a point, all it would take is a single artillery strike to potentially break his legs, this is assuming the light has not taken a single point of damage. Mind you, we are talking about the VERY FIRST Artillery strike.

How much more if we start delving into the more expensive artillery and even MC strikes?! PGI Please, please, please I can not fathom being apart of that. I abhore the thought of turning MWO into Airstrike or Artillery Online. And as for the community, READ the link I posted; it is directly linked to their command chair on what PGI will be doing. PLEASE POST a response that is relevant to the topic.

Edited by Grim Omens, 22 March 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#2 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Arty and strikes has its place to break up death blobs and bunker blobs.

It's probably going to attack a grid coordinate and is VERY innacurate. It'll act as interesting suppressing fire.

There should never be an MC cost for arty or air strikes. Strictly C-Bills. (Though we know MC cost for the "better" ones are coming.)

#3 Culler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Actually the c-bill one with the module will be 10 shells fired for a total of 100 damage, but it's not like everyone in the area will take 100 damage from the strike. Rather, any mech in the area stands a decent chance of taking some percentage of 10 damage. It seems pretty unlikely that a mech will get hit directly by any shell and take the full 10, so it'll be more like hitting everyone with the awesome power of a medium laser spread out over their mech. Quake in fear.

Also you misspelled brakes.

Edited by Culler, 22 March 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#4 Grim Omens

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Breaks was a pun. As for the 10 shells being fired that is assuming that you bought the GXP boost that is permenent. Furthermore, 50 meters in radius is not a whole lot of wiggle room. When you are with a friend of even test mode. Stand 50 meters away from your target and look at the space given.

Edited by Grim Omens, 22 March 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#5 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Bad math is bad.

You forgot the 6.5 second flight time before each strike and the 3 seconds each strike takes to happen. 6.5*4 + 3*4 + 4*3 = 50 seconds to execute your 4-man premade OMG OVERPOWERED button

Edited by Rizzelbizzeg, 22 March 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#6 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

I don't think you understand how this will work. If the the Atlas is paying attention he will be nowhere near where that airstrike/artillery bombardment takes place. If you get all the strikes in and on the same target area and the other team never moved, they deserve everything they got.

#7 Sifright

• 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostCuller, on 22 March 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Actually the c-bill one with the module will be 10 shells fired for a total of 100 damage, but it's not like everyone in the area will take 100 damage from the strike. Rather, any mech in the area stands a decent chance of taking some percentage of 10 damage. It seems pretty unlikely that a mech will get hit directly by any shell and take the full 10, so it'll be more like hitting everyone with the awesome power of a medium laser spread out over their mech. Quake in fear.

Yea pgi are going to release something that costs mc and is completely useless

You realise how incredulous your statement is right?

If any thing all of these airstrike and arty strikes are going to be too strong and then nerfed later.

#8 xGilliedupx

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

With a fast enough mech like a spider with a xl255 you could easily turn this into a martyrdom strike. Run into a cluster of mechs engage them and before you die call in a strike and finish off your opponents and maybe even get out alive if you can time it right.

Edited by xGilliedupx, 22 March 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#9 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostCuller, on 22 March 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

It's apparently 10 splash damage per shell, so it's going to be closer to 50 damage per hit. As if the recent LRM disaster and subsequent overnerf wasn't enough.

#10 Grim Omens

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostRizzelbizzeg, on 22 March 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Bad math is bad.

You forgot the 6.5 second flight time before each strike and the 3 seconds each strike takes to happen. 6.5*4 + 3*4 + 4*3 = 50 seconds.

and 240 damage is the absolute max, definitely not going to be that every strike. Adding one medium laser to your build is more dps than your 4 man premade OP buton :)

I don't think that is the correct math because it states 6 shells fire and land WITHIN 3 seconds of the first shell making impact.

#11 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostGrim Omens, on 22 March 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

I don't think that is the correct math because it states 6 shells fire and land WITHIN 3 seconds of the first shell making impact.

Right. Strike called in, 6.5 seconds until the strike starts, then 6 shells land WITHIN 3 seconds of the first shell hitting. That's 9.5 secs per strike plus a 4 sec cd.

If a train is traveling west at 70 kph towards Boston...

<< math word problems pro

Edited by Rizzelbizzeg, 22 March 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#12 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

People seem to think that arty is going to be used to rain death from the skies. If your opponent wants to stand around and wait for it, I suppose that will work, but that's not what arty is for.

It's for flushing the enemy out of cover
It's for countering that pop tart
It's for giving you cover while you move across an open area
It's for cutting off a fleeing opponent
It's for clearing them out of a capture point.

Arty and air strikes are an area denial and suppression weapon, not a killing one (again, unless your enemy is dumb). The usefulness of these items is the threat of damage, not the damage itself.

#13 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

This thread is new and exciting

#14 Grim Omens

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostVasces Diablo, on 22 March 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

People seem to think that arty is going to be used to rain death from the skies. If your opponent wants to stand around and wait for it, I suppose that will work, but that's not what arty is for.

It's for flushing the enemy out of cover
It's for countering that pop tart
It's for giving you cover while you move across an open area
It's for cutting off a fleeing opponent
It's for clearing them out of a capture point.

Arty and air strikes are an area denial and suppression weapon, not a killing one (again, unless your enemy is dumb). The usefulness of these items is the threat of damage, not the damage itself.

A single person runs into the enemy team and they are compacted together. Depending on the mech and class, if they know they are going to die then all they need is to bring down Arty. Yes it flushes out the enemy but if the person holds them off long enough, all rounds could potentially kill something. Or better, flag for another Arty strike within the same area.

#15 Grim Omens

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Point is, that amount of damage dealt in a 50 meters is far from balanced. And when you're with your friends and there are atleast 4 of them running around per match, the amount of overall damage that can be dealt in a concentrated area is far from fair. And as for Rizzle's math being correct, if that is the case 13.5 seconds imbetween strikes is not a whole lot of time to get away depending on your build.

#16 xGilliedupx

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostGrim Omens, on 22 March 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

A single person runs into the enemy team and they are compacted together. Depending on the mech and class, if they know they are going to die then all they need is to bring down Arty. Yes it flushes out the enemy but if the person holds them off long enough, all rounds could potentially kill something. Or better, flag for another Arty strike within the same area.

That's what I'm saying keep the enemy interested in you while metal rains down. Also bonus you can then scatter a now injured team and pick them off.

#17 Dashiell Hammett

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Breaks was a pun. How exactly was that a pun?

#18 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Just be glad I'm not the one flying the Aerospace fighter. In MWLL, I've gotten tons of choice words thrown at me in the past from bombing mechs there. And I wasn't even one of the better pilots.

#19 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 22 March 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Arty and strikes has its place to break up death blobs and bunker blobs.

It's probably going to attack a grid coordinate and is VERY innacurate. It'll act as interesting suppressing fire.

There should never be an MC cost for arty or air strikes. Strictly C-Bills. (Though we know MC cost for the "better" ones are coming.)

they said you need to have LoS on your target area.

View PostCYBRN4CR, on 22 March 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

I don't want a weak artillery/airstrike that instills no fear. That defeats the purpose.

PGI please don't listen to people who cannot understand the role of a life-saving critical piece of warfare BECAUSE it is powerful and strikes fear in the enemy.

If I can't have decent LRMs you can't have decent Arty

#20 Grim Omens

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

So I looked over the post one last time. 15 seconds for the firs type of Arti (including GCD) and 13.5 for the second type of Arti (Also including GCD) That is still pretty broken, again in that time span you can not do a whole lot unless you're a fast mover. However, with two or even three shells splashing your legs, depending on light or medium mech you may just get legged. Leaving you vulnerable and a sitting duck for another strike or enemy team.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users