Is There Anything...

29 replies to this topic

#21 FlourBoy

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

With the exception of games that offer two sides that are exactly the same. This is one of the most balanced mmo out there. simply because it doesn't restrict you from doing what everyone else can. What is stopping you from making the op mech that you thinks is open? Nothing except for your own pride. Nobody is forcing you to bring that underpowered variant that you know is available only because pgi needs to commit to three variants per mech. Even in the lore they are inferior because new technology comes along and improve on newer variants.

Don't like that ecm? Bring one. Or a splat cat, or a 3l. Or a 6 ppc stalker. No one is stopping you.

There are way too much qq on the forum in this game. Browse through the first page and all you see are complains about cheese this, cheese that. The balance is not what killing this game. Its the negativity on the forums that drive away new players.

#22 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostFlourBoy, on 23 March 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

With the exception of games that offer two sides that are exactly the same. This is one of the most balanced mmo out there. simply because it doesn't restrict you from doing what everyone else can. What is stopping you from making the op mech that you thinks is open? Nothing except for your own pride. Nobody is forcing you to bring that underpowered variant that you know is available only because pgi needs to commit to three variants per mech. Even in the lore they are inferior because new technology comes along and improve on newer variants.

Don't like that ecm? Bring one. Or a splat cat, or a 3l. Or a 6 ppc stalker. No one is stopping you.

There are way too much qq on the forum in this game. Browse through the first page and all you see are complains about cheese this, cheese that. The balance is not what killing this game. Its the negativity on the forums that drive away new players.

That's not what balance means. Are you serious? Balance doesn't mean "You're free to choose the OP mech," balance means, "No mech is OP." Otherwise, you'll have no variety, and every game will look exactly the same, and that's gonna get old real quick.

#23 Vrekgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

#24 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostOmni 13, on 23 March 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

oh and why would you disagree with that?

I'm perfectly fine with an item with no drawbacks as long as there is an effective counter (i.e. another item and/or tactic).

An example is (gasp!) ECM. I have specialized builds to hunt down those mostly annoying ECM lights. Sure, fighting against a team with 3 3Ls and 2 D-DCs can be tough without having ECM on your own side. But, I've been in PUGs (and I only PUG) where those teams have been beaten or even slaughtered.

Edited by Mystere, 23 March 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#25 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Has anyone said that there's too many Mechs yet?

Well, players should be testing the game, and providing feedback, especially after a change. This balance you're talking about that we "don't need" that's really not my thing. Fighting against, or fighting with LRM's, you know what's going to happen. It's either going to be a hard loss, or an easy win. No, that's boring, not my thing.

#26 Vrekgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostMoromillas, on 23 March 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

Has anyone said that there's too many Mechs yet?

Well, players should be testing the game, and providing feedback, especially after a change. This balance you're talking about that we "don't need" that's really not my thing. Fighting against, or fighting with LRM's, you know what's going to happen. It's either going to be a hard loss, or an easy win. No, that's boring, not my thing.

There are never enough mechs. Your going to run into plenty of mechs that play like each other tho.

#27 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostMystere, on 23 March 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I'm perfectly fine with an item with no drawbacks as long as there is an effective counter (i.e. another item and/or tactic).

An example is (gasp!) ECM. I have specialized builds to hunt down those mostly annoying ECM lights. Sure, fighting against a team with 3 3Ls and 2 D-DCs can be tough without having ECM on your own side. But, I've been in PUGs (and I only PUG) where those teams have been beaten or even slaughtered.

false the only real effective counter to ECM is more ECM...or tag if they're slow

#28 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostOmni 13, on 23 March 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

false the only real effective counter to ECM is more ECM...or tag if they're slow

Actually PPC + TAG + SSRM2 + teamwork (e.g. coordinating with splatcats and/or LRM-equipped team mates) works wonders. That's my experience anyway.

Edited by Mystere, 23 March 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#29 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Balance on these forums is a relative term. Basically in the eyes of the beholder, balance is when their favorite play style is viable and effective. And in their eyes viable and effective means winning most of the time, because again in their eyes, their skill and experience is top notch, or enough to get great results.

If this isn't the case, they look for reasons they can exploit. Premades, equipment that bests them (by superior players), equipment that counters them (long to short, short to minimum range). or lack of insight of the devs (in their minds). They will never admit that they are their own problem and all they have to do is change something on their config, or simply just get better. Personal responsibility is not one of their tenents.

Failing that (or if a fix isn't coming fast enough in their opinion), they seek to ostracize their fellow players who disagree with them, or are using mechs or equipment that counters or bests their playstyle.

Think I'm talking out my ***? Look at any ECM or Raven thread. These players call Raven Pilots and those who use ECM, the scum of the earth and other various names. Some do it not so overtly, claiming they are unskilled, or exploiting the system. Look to any anti-Premade thread. They call them PUG stompers, sync droppers, and a myriad of other things.

What causes all this? The devolution of society. Parents began coddling kids instead of disciplining them. They began congratulating mediocrity instead of success. Getting medals for participating in the soccer leagues instead of winning the tournaments. Now these kids are adults and think the rest of us owe them where their parents left off. They think by getting a college degree (for the once that at least get that far) that they are owed a job. They believe whatever they do is right, and whatever everyone else does is not only wrong, immoral, but an affront to what they want.

This manifests in online games as well. Use something they don't like and they insult you for it. This happens when you use something effective against them. Or use something different when on the same team. Again look to any Lights are Scouts thread to see the name calling and put downs that goes on when someone uses a light mech to kill mechs instead of spot.

These whiners and complainers will continue to do what they do unless the Moderators silence them, or until everyone plays exactly how they want them to play. Of course they do disagree with one another at times, so this will never happen. Hopefully they get enough warnings to get shut up by the mods.

Now there is a difference between one who complains and one who offers constructive feedback. The ones who put the time and effort into finding the splash damage errors in missiles are a good example of those who are constructive. Of course they took personal responsibility and spent their time looking for the problems and enabled the devs to fix other issues as well.

Unfortunately these are few and far between compared to the whiners.

#30 FlourBoy

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

For the people that says

View PostMackman, on 23 March 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

...Otherwise, you'll have no variety, and every game will look exactly the same, and that's gonna get old real quick.

Then please explain to me why this hasn't happen yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users