3L Hate?

34 replies to this topic

#21 Magicbullet141

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationHaappajarvi, Capellan March, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

View PostMoeX, on 24 March 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Newest flavor of the month seems to be the dual ac20 jager...

What's wrong? Nobody had a problem with the AC/20 Catapault.

#22 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

I will say that I see much fewer of them these days, and in some recent games I've seen people dusting off their The Death's Knell.

#23 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

I just wish the engine cap wasn't so out of whack. I have all three Ravens, and it's hard to justify using one that is slower and doesn't have ECM. The only real thing to gain is the ballistic slots and jump jets on the 4X, but let's face it, ballistic slots on a 35 ton mech are fairly limiting.

#24 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

Although the 3L had a huge advantage over the last few months, this last week after the patch they have been brought down to normal. I have killed a few using all 3 of my Jenners. I just finished a match where I killed 2 with my JR7-D. There is nothing more satisfying in MWO than killing 2 3Ls with a Jenner.

Also, my teammates often target the 3Ls and get very brutal why shows there is still some hate for it. Personally, I think that the undisputed reign of the 3L is over.

#25 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

They're frustrating to fight with other lights because you're effectively on a timer. Nowhere near as bad as they used to be though.

#26 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

I feel I need to dispel some illusions about the 3L and ECM. First, a 3L is not cheap. After the inital cost of the mech, you will need to buy DHS and a 295XL in order to make it effective. Also, you'll need to grind the other two variants to get the speed tweak, which will then let you go at 150.2 kph. The 3L alone will only cost you about 14 million C-Bills. (You may also need to buy the ECM suite which I believe is another 400K C-bills.)

As far as ECM is concerned. Another ECM is only one way to counter it. A PPC hit on an ECM mech will render that ECM inert for 5 seconds. The best counter for ECM though is TAG. If you stay oustide the ECM bubble and TAG an ECM mech, that mech can be targeted by lrms, no matter how many ECMs are travelling together. This means that a Raven can actually be destroyed well outside the range of all of its weapons. Granted, it isn't easy, but it's possible. A good Raven pilot will know this and still use cover to get close to the enemy, or avoid detection.

Because of the combination of various counters to ECM, Raven hit box fixes and missile nerfs, the number of 3Ls on the field has been significantly reduced. Despite the fixes though, they are still potent weapons, but are now most effective in the roles for which they were intended: scouts and harassers.

Edited by mailin, 25 March 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#27 zraven7

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

The 3L isn't so much "better" as all the other lights, but more so that it has an easier learning curve and lower skill requirement. That, and they are, arguably, the best mech for taking out other lights. You get the basics of using defensive torso twist and learn the nuances of SSRM's, and you are murdering happily. It is easily, however, the best Raven variant, hands down, bill passed, recite the oath.

If you're thinking about getting one, the only downside is the fact that you have to play through the other variants to master it, which isn't gonna be the most fun thing in the world. That's the reason I stopped piloting my cicada and switched to a Jenner, actually. Other than that, great mech on all fronts.

#28 Grayseven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

The 3L is still a fun and versatile mech, but it isn't nearly the juggernaut it once was.

ECM protects you against sensor detection outside 200m (they can still see you) and LRM fire and allows you to cancel out the ECM of other mechs if you are packing the standard 2 SSRM2 load out.

The 3 ML's pack a good wallop (again, on the standard load out).

At 129kph (140+ with speed tweak) they are very fast which makes hitting them with anything but lasers problematic.

They corner like go carts.

They are (finally) susceptible to being legged, but still do 70+kph when legged and can go 90+kph in reverse.

A Jenner with a pair of SRM4's and 4 ML's can tear one apart now that the hit box has been tweaked on the Ravens, but they don't have ECM so you have to be on the lookout for LRM fire.

#29 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostGrayseven, on 25 March 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

The 3L is still a fun and versatile mech, but it isn't nearly the juggernaut it once was.

A Jenner with a pair of SRM4's and 4 ML's can tear one apart now that the hit box has been tweaked on the Ravens, but they don't have ECM so you have to be on the lookout for LRM fire.

Jenners have one main advantage over 3Ls and that's jump jets. However most Jenner pilots don't use the jets to their fullest advantage. Proper use of jump jets allows a Jenner pilot to be able to outmaneuver a Raven or any other non-jetting mech.

#30 Biggieboy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

After some consideration, I've decided to go with the Jenner F. I like their looks more, and I like their hardpoints: 6 lasers, a simple build for a simple guy :P

The best i've done so far is 680 dam on tourmaline. I also bought the D version, and when I have enough money, the third variant to unlock elite. I must say I'm really pleased with the jenner, on average I'm doing more damage than with my ilya or hunchback

#31 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

It's really hard not to dislike a mech that has been ridiculously hard to hit with any kind of weapons and on top of that have the ecm/ssrm supremacy, since it has been allowed to run around unfixed for months. It'll last at least a few months of many players wanting to get some payback for all the previous unfair fights you've had with it. I know when I see a Raven amongst a couple of opponents I'll fire a couple of shots at it first!

#32 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Oi, first mech I mastered was my Jenners, very glad to see them rising up the foodchain again. Excellent patch that.

#33 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

I think the very strongest vitriol comes from all the other light pilots who are not blessed by the gods of ECM and streak missiles because those one-on-ones (which happen a lot in Conquest mode) are very one-sided.

I feel anger towards Raven and Commando because I think they are abusing a very broken game mechanic (Streak + ECM). But what I should do is buy one and abuse the very broken game mechanic.

(edit)
Just read the posts above. Yeah... lots of people shoot them first... So many reasons: hit boxes that reduce damage, 140 degree torso twist... all these should be fixed now but it doesn't erase the memory of getting embarrassed by a Raven time after time.

Edited by ElLocoMarko, 25 March 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#34 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

I remember in closed beta and before ECM came out, the Jenner was really the king of the lights: able to mount lasers and streaks and had jump jets. The only thing that was feared more than a Jenner was a streak cat. In those days you rarely saw a Raven. Why would you? The only Ravens that can have Jump Jets are too slow for an effective light, and the only one that was fast enough didn't have JJ. Oh how things have changed. Maybe I should get a Jenner next so I can relive the glory days of that mech.

#35 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMaple Ridge, B.C. , Canada

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

It simply makes an average or bad player good...but not to the extent it did before some patch adjustments to streaks and the hitboxes.

I sold mine a while back simply out of guilt - it didn't seem fair (but I was smart enough to at least basic it first). Now I run a 4X as my only light - great fun with the jump jets and will eventually get a 2x so I can elite it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users