Respawn Game Mode

33 replies to this topic

#1 Spartanz157

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

I would like a Respawn game mode. We can let people have more chances. The team with the most kills in the time limit wins.

Thanks.

Edited by Spartanz157, 31 December 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#2 PPO Kuro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 300 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

No thanks. Sounds too much like 'normal' deathmatch in other games like COD...

#3 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

Yep, you should try Mechwarrior: Living Legends if you want respawning,
no need to reward bad players in MW:O..

The "planned/idea" 4-mech-rotation-dropship-gamemode should be a better choice

Edited by Kain, 31 December 2012 - 03:20 AM.

#4 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

just no.
go play mll if you whant.

#5 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hawken or Dropship mode when it comes. Dropship means 4 mechs from your/trial mechbay, one-by-one into the fight after a death.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Specifically, Dropship mode will allow you to respawn as up to 4 mechs from your quick-select bay. It is automatically filled with trials unless you choose other mechs by clicking on it and choosing "Select."

The dropship mutator is not yet available.

That reminds me. There's another topic to add to the tutorials I'm working on.

Edited by Koniving, 31 December 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#7 Suspect

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

I used to drop into re-spawn games to warm up for my teams no respawn league drops. It's worked great and was also good for blowing off steam. You are not going to get as much trigger time playing no respawn so it makes for great practice. Interestingly enough, the most popular and long lasting servers of the MW4 and MW3 franchise were respawn and some were (gasp) NHUA. The future of the game depends on variety and attracting as many players as possible. Is it bad for the game if we get 10,000 new players that only play respawn?

#8 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostSuspect, on 31 December 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

I used to drop into re-spawn games to warm up for my teams no respawn league drops. It's worked great and was also good for blowing off steam. You are not going to get as much trigger time playing no respawn so it makes for great practice. Interestingly enough, the most popular and long lasting servers of the MW4 and MW3 franchise were respawn and some were (gasp) NHUA. The future of the game depends on variety and attracting as many players as possible. Is it bad for the game if we get 10,000 new players that only play respawn?

Is it bad for the game if we get 10,000 new players by adding regenerating health / shields?

Would it be bad for the game if we added a "Healer Mech" that went around repairing other mechs in-fight using some Nano-something-or-other?

Would it be bad for the game if we added FORCE POWERS to our Mechwarriors, letting them shoot lightning at opposing mechs?

Would it be bad for the game if we removed friendly fire?

Having no respawns - and many other features unique to Mechwarrior in general - has a psychological affect and changes the way (most / smart) players approach the game, how mechs are built, etc. I do not want the mentality of unlimited respawns in Mechwarrior.

Edited by Kraven Kor, 03 January 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#9 LLCWeekend

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 03 January 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Would it be bad for the game if we added FORCE POWERS to our Mechwarriors, letting them shoot lightning at opposing mechs?

**cough cough** LASERS **cough cough**

#10 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I dunno. Why not have a respawn mode for people that just want to go blow their brains out? It'd probably attract some players that wouldn't normally come. More revenue for the devs, and more development $ to put towards us, right?

As long as I can set myself up not to have to play it (ie. selectable), then I'm cool with anyone else who wants to repeatedly run to their imminent demise.

Heck, I might even play it once in a while if I'm in a foul mood and just want to blow $#!~ up. :lol:

Edited by HighTest, 03 January 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#11 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostHighTest, on 03 January 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

I dunno. Why not have a respawn mode for people that just want to go blow their brains out? It'd probably attract some players that wouldn't normally come. More revenue for the devs, and more development $ to put towards us, right?

As long as I can set myself up not to have to play it (ie. selectable), then I'm cool with anyone else who wants to repeatedly run to their imminent demise.

Heck, I might even play it once in a while if I'm in a foul mood and just want to blow $#!~ up. :lol:

Let's say I joined a Star Wars MMO, right?

So it is in the Star Wars Universe, which has its own rich history and a certain "look and feel" that is altogether Star Wars.

Mechwarrior - to me - has always be a very different game and IP compared to most games. It was Conan to Star War's Tolkien - "Gritty, realistic SciFi wargaming" vs. "Epic Space Opera."

So if I join that Star Wars MMO, and then make a post on the forums saying "Hey, let's add Regenerating Health (a common game feature that I hate with the fiery passion of 10,000 suns...)" Would it add more players? Maybe. Would it be "Star Wars?" I don't think so. But, then, Regenerating Health has no place in any game because it is retreadedly unrealistic and reinforces the mindless gameplay common to games with that feature (I'm getting shot? Who cares! All I have to do is take cover at the last second and my wounds magically close!) Respawn is no different - "I'm getting killed? Who cares? It's just a ticket! Be back in a second in a fresh mech and own that noob!"

So, for the games, I think the Mechwarrior license needs to enforce that difference and that is a good thing. I'm all for optional game modes, just make sure they make sense to the Battletech lore, and "let's throw mechs at them until we win" was never a part of that. Entire planets were conquered by 12 to 24 mechs. You never saw battles with hundreds of mechs on each side, at least not until the climax of the Clan Wars.

"Respawn" would fundamentally change the way the game is played, and that is a bad thing to me for a multitude of reasons. Having it as an option might bring more players, but those players won't be in the same queue I am in - they will all be in the Respawning, No Heat, Unlimited Ammo, 3rd Person View queue, and they will be running out, getting killed, and repeating it over and over just like they do in Battlefield or whatever.

Please keep this game different from other online FPS / Shooter / Wargames.

Edited by Kraven Kor, 03 January 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#12 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I agree with you 100%.

But from a business model perspective, if it makes PGI money and it fuels overall continued game development and new features for us more traditional types, I'm OK with it. As long as I don't have to play it that way if I don't want to.

Does it really cheapen the game if a single gamemode (out of the arguably many that I can ultimately see existing in MWO) has respawns in it?

I dunno - my $.02.

Edited by HighTest, 03 January 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#13 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostHighTest, on 03 January 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

I agree with you 100%.

But from a business model perspective, if it makes PGI money and it fuels overall continued game development and new features for us more traditional types, I'm OK with it. As long as I don't have to play it that way if I don't want to.

Does it really cheapen the game if a single gamemode (out of the arguably many that I can ultimately see existing in MWO) has respawns in it?

I dunno - my $.02.

I've already spent $150 on this game, about. I plan to someday spend more (when they wake up and realize their pricing for virtual items is redonkulous.)

And I don't say this as a threat or anything, but if they "dumb down" the game too much, I will move on.

Because it will affect me. Most players will go for the low hanging fruit, meaning half the players currently in the normal queues will vanish to the "more fun" queues (to them, not judging or anything) and the "normal queues" we have now will be ghost towns. Or that is my fear. I could very well be wrong.

Now, if they do this, and we get a million players to where there is no waiting in any queue or whatever, then sure, fine, bring it on.

That is not what will happen with this game, as things stand. We'll have maybe 100k players, and 99k of them will be in the "bad queues" (to me.)

I just wish people would "be more like me" and accept this game for the awesome differences it has from other online shooter games - the details of MWO's gameplay make it wholly different from other games and I want it to stay that way.

#14 Heinreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostLLCWeekend, on 03 January 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

**cough cough** LASERS **cough cough**

I think you meant "**cough cough** PPC **cough cough**"
laser --> light
ppc --> lightning

#15 Heinreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostHighTest, on 03 January 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Simply put: It wouldn't be a Mechwarrior game any more, and what I want is a Mechwarrior game. As others have pointed out, it would just be another iteration of the team deathmatch concept, only with robot skins and the ability to fire all your weapons at the same time.

There could be other ways to get your quick fix. Personally I hope they implement a solaris arena mode where people can go 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4. Set it up as an actual arena where the people can spectate.

There can also be other ways to generate income. TF2 has hit it off big with the ornamental items. I've never seen such a large group of people obsessed with virtual hats before.

In the end if PGI can make the overall game fun (by that I mean community warfare; we're still just testing the combat aspects of the game) we can still be in good shape without having to compromise what makes Mechwarrior "MechWarrior".

#16 fighttheman87

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

if you dont like the core features of the game dont play it. play Hawken it has respawns and its f2p.

#17 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

I don't see that happen in MWO.

#18 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

I really want the dropship mode to be a part of the game (probably have to be all trials or all owned mechs for rewards purposes).

Actual respawns (as in the same mech) limited or not would not appeal to me. At the same time, if it went into the game, it wouldn't necessarily drive me away.

As long as it was a no rewards mode (no money, xp, or player ranking) then it would be fine. Heck it might even be a good way to implement the "test drive" mode that many people want (for trying out a new build).

#19 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostHeinreich, on 04 January 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

In the end if PGI can make the overall game fun (by that I mean community warfare; we're still just testing the combat aspects of the game) we can still be in good shape without having to compromise what makes Mechwarrior "MechWarrior".

This has got to be the best response possible. What really makes this game great, for myself and I'm sure most people here, is the fact that it is MECHWARRIOR. It's not just some giant robot game, it's Mechwarrior... Let's keep it that way.

Slight tangent here, but worth noting as much as possible; can we please have Repair & Rearm costs back???

Edited by Fut, 04 January 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#20 LLCWeekend

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostHeinreich, on 04 January 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

I think you meant "**cough cough** PPC **cough cough**"
laser --> light
ppc --> lightning

Touchet...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users