Vulture: Battle-Tech v MW4

34 replies to this topic

#21 TwoFaced

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

It is a tuff looking bird, but in Mech4 it was easy...way to easy to down.

I think both bt and mw4 look good.

#22 Rabid Dutchman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 196 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

I agree. In MW 4 it was downed far too easy

#23 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostRabid Dutchman, on 01 June 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

When compared like that the original Vulture looks more like a medium mech than a heavy. It's just too... spindly IMO

Don't forget the fact it's just a Clan Catapult. Sort of... ;)

#24 UnLimiTeD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Yeh, I've seen the MW4 version first as well.
It's a great mech, at least the look.
Personally, I think the MW4 version with the original Arms would be neat, the MW4 version looks heavier, and somewhat more IS...
But it's a relatively mobile clan Heavy, and as previous posts state, while it certainly makes no sense to have them that uncovered (then again, mechs make no sense. *shush*), those thin, sleek arms convey a lot more aggressiveness and fit the name better.

#25 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Personally, I prefer the MW4 version, it just looks more like a heavy mech, and doesn't look like a spindly twig. However, I've always been of the opinion that the arms differed based on the mech variation, with some having the twin big guns in the thinner arms, and some having the more heavily armored arms with heavy and light guns.

#26 RobarGK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 183 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

I have always preferred the classic mad dog look, it was harder to hit and just looked more aggressive.
Also, MW4 made me hate that chin rack since the AI would always destroy it in the campain.

#27 ethnic minority

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

I like to think that the retro/classy BTech Vulture is the variant that the clans invaded the inner sphere with, and the modern/practical-looking MW4 Vulture is the end result of continual repairs, refits, and modifications to the production line after the clans settled in the IS.

#28 C4RNAGE

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 69 posts
  • LocationLast known orbit ->Inautus

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

When the Vulture be available ? This is the question and its an specific construction so will be good look at end anyway. :rolleyes:

#29 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

It's this image all the way for me.

Posted Image

Nothing compares to the original. The look and "feel" of it perfectly match the fiction written for it.

View PostTwoFaced, on 01 June 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

It is a tuff looking bird, but in Mech4 it was easy...way to easy to down.

That's kind of it right there. It's a relatively fragile design. MW4 made it look too beefy/tough for what it really is. I like the look of the MW4 version but it's just not what the 60-ton Vulture is. Maybe as a 70 or 80-ton upgrade.

View PostUnLimiTeD, on 01 June 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Personally, I think the MW4 version with the original Arms would be neat, the MW4 version looks heavier, and somewhat more IS...

There is fluff text in TRO: 3050 Upgrades about the Ghost Bears manufacturing Vultures in the I.S.

Minor variances in structure, armor, and engine design—legacy of Bergan’s Spheroid factory tooling—have slightly altered the appearance of these Vultures

That could allow them to shoe-horn the MW4 version into canon if it were possible. Except I think there's a problem using Microsoft-owned artwork in BattleTech. Spit license and all that jazz. Same reason we probably won't see the MWO versions used in BattleTech.

Edited by cache, 07 December 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#30 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

My favorite mech by some distance, I love these things to pieces. In particular the C variant, which was my main ride in my mw4 days. But I always preferred the earlier design to the stubby MW4 version. I hate the new ones stubby wings, and its broken nose, and the fact it's all just straight lines like any old IS mech.

I love the alien nature of early clan tech art, and even though it suffered from the same malaise as all mech art back then (drawing is hard), when modern redesigns go too far they often loose their essential mojo.

View PostAdridos, on 01 June 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

This is the sauce right here. I really hope FD does a revision faithful to the early design rather than something more like the MW4 monstrosity. So far he's done a great job with the mechs I like, and remarkable things with some mechs I really didn't, so I know I shouldn't be worried. But because it's this mech, I am a bit.

#31 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

Given what FD has achieved so far, I'm quite assured that he'll make the clan designs look good, updated while true to the originals as well.

Every Mechwarrior game prior to this has had some pretty horrendous in game art of mechs. MW1, 2 and to a lesser extent 3, have been the result of technical limitations.

But once Microsoft got their hands on it, all the mechs turned into horrendous looking fisher paykel inspired toy mechs, with horrible stubby design language. I wish a grave pox upon the art director or whoever in charge that was responsible for that decision.

Just utterly ruined. And even worse is that whoever is handling Mechwarrior Tactics is taking that design direction and making it even super worse. It's unbelievable how bad that game looks.

FD... please make the clan mechs look better than the Timberwolf and Mad Dog on the Mechwarrior 2 covers.

Edited by Zaptruder, 08 December 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#32 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

meh, Catapult for the win :D The Vulture in MWO will be a death trap with an XL engine.

#33 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I have always prefered the original, I honestly thought that the MW4 version was a new mech when I first saw it.

#34 C4RNAGE

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 69 posts
  • LocationLast known orbit ->Inautus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Give us the Vulture his got his special figure profile so will be nice adon on battle field like smaller version of catapult if i remember LRM pod.

#35 Chuck Corneliusson

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

• The MechWarrior 4 series actually showed the Medium Pulse Lasers in a chin rack, the results are the moving of the Medium Pulse Lasers into the Center Torso, this model is called the Mad Dog Mk II (Vulture Mk II) by the online BattleTech Community.
  • The canon status of the Mad Dog Mk II (Vulture Mk II) was confirmed by the Lead Developer in a ruling on the official forum on 21 Aug 2013:
“ ...The bottom line: The Mk. II is functionally identical to the original; it merely differs cosmetically. ” — Herbert Beas, Line Developer, 21-Aug-2013

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users