Build A Trial Mech - Heavy Edition Winner!

132 replies to this topic

#101 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 26 March 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Given the replies, it doesn't seem too popular an idea (and it's a lot of work to gather replies, make a list, and have people vote.) We'll see though.

Oh, interesting.

I'd prefer if stock configurations would work reasonably well in this game, and not be overheating nightmares that make newbies feel the game will be unfun because it takes control of them all the time.

But if I can't have that; I'd would make trial mechs reasonably optimized designs for MW:O.

#102 Darth Mech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

Given the replies, it doesn't seem too popular an idea (and it's a lot of work to gather replies, make a list, and have people vote.) We'll see though.

I volunteer my time and services to make this a monthly event throughout the weight classes.

Congrats Phorashi, nice build.

Edited by Darth Mech, 27 March 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#103 kiltymonroe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

Yeah, this event was definitely a GOOD THING, don't shy away from doing more stuff like this in the future.

If you do choose to do anything different though it's that you should just let us goons make the trials and skip the voting, because if we learned anything from this it's that a large chunk of the playerbase has no idea how to identify a good and simple robot if someone hasn't made a thread whining about dying to it.

#104 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Congrats. What am I missing here. Need another .25t to complete the winning 5N build???

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0427a596cfb3a60

#105 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 27 March 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

Oh, interesting.

I'd prefer if stock configurations would work reasonably well in this game, and not be overheating nightmares that make newbies feel the game will be unfun because it takes control of them all the time.

But if I can't have that; I'd would make trial mechs reasonably optimized designs for MW:O.

it's not so much that the stocks run super hot, more that once you have your own mech the first thing you do is make it run super cool.

#106 kiltymonroe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 27 March 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Congrats. What am I missing here. Need another .25t to complete the winning 5N build???

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0427a596cfb3a60

Ferro-Fibrous armor and two tons of Gauss ammo.

#107 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 26 March 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

The sad thing is that the 5N build isn't anything special. The 4X was actually viable for something that wasn't a complete classic AC2/UAC5 boat.

I disagree. The Dragon build is far simpler to use for all new players. Two weapon systems on the arms with low heat and high movement speed will let them enjoy the game without worrying about too many factors. I'm glad for the results. The Cataphract build was nice, but this is definitely better for new players.

#108 Atheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 826 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostElizander, on 27 March 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

I disagree. The Dragon build is far simpler to use for all new players. Two weapon systems on the arms with low heat and high movement speed will let them enjoy the game without worrying about too many factors. I'm glad for the results. The Cataphract build was nice, but this is definitely better for new players.

Absolutely true. It's not the best mech in the game for every player, but I couldn't think of a better mech for a new player. It's fast, so they won't feel like they're playing under water, but not so fast they'll be unable to control it. Learning to aim and fire the weapons is a snap, and it's almost impossible to overheat it, which would serve only as a distraction to a newbie who has plenty of other things to focus on learning.

#109 Miekael

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Nice to see the Dragon win, still my favorite chassis. As for this build I have used it before and it is fun. So much fun, that I adopted my CTF-3D after it so I could use the build with jump jets. This build can also show new players that even the variants that are considered the worse can be made useable. Congrats guys!

#110 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostElizander, on 27 March 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

It might be simple, but it isn't built for straight brawling... as survivability should be addressed first and foremost for newbies. Otherwise, you have to describe the "proper" role of the Dragon to newbies, before they die early and often.

Edited by Deathlike, 27 March 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#111 Stickasylum

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

That's more of a problem with heavy mechs in general - it's pretty much impossible to make them good brawlers for new players. You're either going slow like the 2x, in which case new players will have difficulty staying on target for lights, mediums, and fast heavies but still die in stand-up brawls against assaults, or you're going fast with XL engine. My guess is that most new players would be more frustrated by going slow and never lining up shots than going fast and doing some good damage before dying. Remember, new players will be playing with at least some other relatively low-ELO players.

Edited by Stickasylum, 28 March 2013 - 05:35 AM.

#112 kiltymonroe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Speed is also essential for getting out of a bad position or into cover quickly, which new players will find themselves needing to do more often than a more experienced player. Being able to lose a side torso isn't much help when you find yourself in front of the entire enemy firing line and unable to shamble away from it faster than 60kph.

#113 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

My take on Phorashi's Dragon. Congrats to Phorashi on the win, and to all those pre-selected. Looking forward to the next one!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#114 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Phorashi's Dragon is my favourite old disney movie.

#115 Tarquinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

View Postfil5000, on 28 March 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

Phorashi's Dragon is my favourite old disney movie.

Wait, I always thought that was some obscure Hong Kong **** movie...

#116 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

Nice mech, nice competition.

Thanks for running the contest, I saw it as a totally positive experience and look forward to future improvements to the trial much system!

Maybe sell the mech for half price during its trial period?

Edited by Jabilo, 29 March 2013 - 12:26 AM.

#117 D1G17AL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I have this almost exact build on my Fang. IT ROCKS! I love the gauss rifle teamed up with the lasers. It just doesn't let up with the damage. I think the trial players will be happy with this mech. It's a lots of fun.

Edit.

Where was this trial 3 months ago when I was buying my dragons. Gah, this is exactly the mech I would've saved up for and purchased but I already got one!

Edited by D1G17AL, 29 March 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#118 Vite Ramen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostD1G17AL, on 29 March 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

I have this almost exact build on my Fang. IT ROCKS! I love the gauss rifle teamed up with the lasers. It just doesn't let up with the damage. I think the trial players will be happy with this mech. It's a lots of fun.

Edit.

Where was this trial 3 months ago when I was buying my dragons. Gah, this is exactly the mech I would've saved up for and purchased but I already got one!

Yup. I've used this build before, and it's my favorite XL300 dragon build. I tend to run faster engines on it nowadays, though.

#119 Wolfyop

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

since in the end its the staff who selects the mech from the community, just let them make some builds and we vote them.

Edited by Wolfyop, 01 April 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#120 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

This is a good mech for pugging. I use exactly the same weapons but you don't need the two engine heatsinks and you can drop a bit armour for a bigger engine (I think I have an XL330 from memory?)

The trouble is that this is a terribly hard mech to drive well. You need great situational awareness, and the arms are mounted low and wide which results in frequently shooting the ground/cover. It has to be used as a slasher not a brawler and the massive CT needs to be protected.

It is NOT newb freindly! (no Dragon is)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users