I Haven't Thoroughly Tested This, But I Don't Believe Min Ppc Range Is Working...

10 replies to this topic

#1 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I was just badly damaged by someone at 40M by PPCs, his only three weapons, with no one else nearby and no missile shake.

I would have shrugged this off as just MWO being weird, except that someone else mentioned something like this last night. I thought he was a crazy person, but now I'm wondering. . . is min PPC damage not working properly?

#2 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Don't know. Haven't shot anyone with non ER PPCs at close range in quite a while. Will try to remember to test.

#3 Tikkamasala

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Iirc the ppc damage scales linearly from 0 at 0m distance to maximum at the minimum range.

#4 hammerreborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostTikkamasala, on 26 March 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Iirc the ppc damage scales linearly from 0 at 0m distance to maximum at the minimum range.

What this guy said. Its a linear decrease from 90 in damage.

#5 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

If you get up in their face, it won't do any damage. If you stay outside of 0m, the PPC will still do some damage between 1 and 90m. And sometimes it is enough to kill you. That's how the PPC works from canon, it comes with a field inhibitor that degrades the damage output to prevent damage to the Mech firing it.

If they added true field inhibitor functionality, the person using a regular PPC would be able to turn it off and do full damage between 0-90m, but risk damage to their Mech.

#6 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks very much to the guys who answered my question.

[redacted]

Edited by miSs, 26 March 2013 - 12:25 PM.
quote clean-up

#7 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 26 March 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

If you get up in their face, it won't do any damage. If you stay outside of 0m, the PPC will still do some damage between 1 and 90m. And sometimes it is enough to kill you. That's how the PPC works from canon, it comes with a field inhibitor that degrades the damage output to prevent damage to the Mech firing it.

If they added true field inhibitor functionality, the person using a regular PPC would be able to turn it off and do full damage between 0-90m, but risk damage to their Mech.

I would love this but i have a feeling erppcs would become obsolete because everyone would just risk it

#8 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

3 PPCs will still do around 12 damage at 40m, which is more ouch than an AC10 still.

#9 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:09 AM

Sometime in the last 9 months PPC minimum range was set to do decreased damage under 90m in the same way lasers do decreased damage past their "max" range. So a PPC shot at 45m does half damage, zero damage at zero meters, and full damage at 90+ until they get to max range, then the damage drops off again.

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

ERPPCs do not have any minimum range, and that's part of the balancing that comes with their very high heat generation. ERPPCs generate about 40% more heat than a normal PPC, so that extended long range damage and the lack of a short-range penalty comes at a hot price.

#11 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

By shooting things in the training grounds, below about 40m, PPC's do very little damage. Inside 20m, they may not even do a single point, each.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users