Truth About Davions- A Capellan Perspective

16 replies to this topic

#1 PaintedWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

I was curious about what the overall Confederation view of House Davion, the Federated Suns and the Federated Commonwealth might be? Including First Prince Hanse Davion, the Fourth Succession War, the New Avalon Institute of Science, the High Council (which is supposedly democratic) and the claims that:

The citizens of the realm also have basic rights protected by law, including freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the ability to appeal to the central government in order to have unpopular or destructive noblemen removed from office.

http://www.sarna.net.../Federated_Suns

This is primarily for Liao and if they are constructive, Kuritan opinions.

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

They are not worth the attention.

#3 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

From the novels, it is hard to get a commoner's view of anything, but it seems as though Capellans view the feddies as imperial aggressors. Which, given the Fourth Succession War, is fairly accurate.

Edited by Lord Ikka, 27 March 2013 - 06:14 AM.

#4 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

they have too much mary sue...

#5 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

View Postdal10, on 27 March 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

they have too much mary sue...

This.

#6 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

The citizens of the realm also have basic rights protected by law, including freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the ability to appeal to the central government in order to have unpopular or destructive noblemen removed from office.

Those rights are given, but as one of the successor states with the worst education among the common people, it's no wonder those rights were seldom used. The FedSuns are agressive and focused more on being a strong military might, then on being the place to life in that they claim to be.

While the normal citizen doen't have much to fear from his government, he doesn't have much to look up or strive for as well. The citizens can life in piece and can express themself in any way they want to, as long as they don't meddle with the political superstructure.

It is freedom. In a way more so then the life in the confederation. It is also imprisonment, as the normal citizen has no way to brake out of the common life, he is used to, unless he joins the military and the rules and restrictions that come with that.

The high council has no might at all. It's a group that has to obey the wishes of the first prince or it will be replaced by people who do. The intended controlling function it was supposed to be, is lost in history.

The NAIS is a good brainpool for scientific advances. But until the Helm memory core had been distributed among the successor states, they had real problems producing working technology. So unless they have a blueprint available to build on, they have a tough time to actually grasp new concepts. Considering the state of education in the Suns, this is no surprise. When only a handfull of people gets real education, a lot of genius is lost.

#7 PaintedWolf

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

According to the novels, Sun Tzu Liao notes that the Davion's 4th Succession War killed almost a hundred-million people in the Capellan theater and left half a billion on the edges of ruin. To quote the Universal Throne exactly:

Hanse Davion murdered 100 million people and left another half-billion casualties in the Fourth Succession War alone! And if that were not enough for him, ten years later he went to war again.

Edited by PaintedWolf, 27 March 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#8 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

We not educated, we . . . .
Umm,
I'll have to get back to you on this.

edit -
OK I got it.
Think of us(FedSuns) as the SpaceBalls in Spaceballs.

I would link a YouTube vid, but I'm too dumb to figure it out. :)

Edited by Slater01, 27 March 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#9 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostSlater01, on 27 March 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

We not educated, we . . . .
Umm,
I'll have to get back to you on this.

edit -
OK I got it.
Think of us(FedSuns) as the SpaceBalls in Spaceballs.

I would link a YouTube vid, but I'm too dumb to figure it out. ;)

you said it not me

#10 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

What did I say?
"I like Swords"
"I like Swords"
"I like Swords"

(if anyone has everyseen Eightbit theatre)

#11 CG Oglethorpe Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

An average Capellan is probably going to look at the Fed Suns as scary bunch at their doorstep.

For all the bad things about the Capellan Confederacy they do at least take care of their citizens. You serve the community and make an effort to make Capella a better place and they make you a citizen. As a citizen you get a free education (mind you they are referring to a university education) and healthcare for life, this isn't a bad deal here.

Unfortunately you have a neighbor on one side that is a large powerful nation with a strong military just itching for a reason to use it. When Hanse Davion married Melissa Steiner they had created the largest and most powerful nation in the all the Successor States, nearly half the Inner Sphere belonged to them. And on the day of his wedding what did he do? He could have called for the end of all wars, he could have simply stated that he wanted a new era of peace, he could have called a meeting to discuss the reformation of the Star League.

Instead he chose his wedding as a moment to launch another Succession War, just what everyone wants on their wedding day, millions of deaths.

Capellans aren't likely to forget that anytime soon, it sticks with a people when they get invaded one day for no particular reason. So how to Capellans view the Fed Suns, probably as a nation of people who aren't happy with the largest state in the sphere, as a people that want everything and are willing to use military force to get it.

#12 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

I imagine life is oddly similar to the current state in RL China. As long as your not trying to subvert the government overtly or covertly, your life is probably fairly decent.

That said from a foreign affairs perspective, Davion probably comes across as a cultural revolutionary who may or may not have the Capellan interests in mind, similar to how westeners are viewed in China. Neither side is right or wrong, just different cultural systems that are not compatible with each other.

The books and other canon source material tends to highlight the bad of the CCAF, but that is due to the nature of needing a "bad guy" to be the good guy's foil. If reality was to be examined in more detail I'm sure the CCAF is no better or worse than FS or any other house. The majority of the opinions are similar to sports fan in each city cheering for their local team since the city/state/regional name is emblazoned on the front of the jersey and it's easier to be loyal to your friends and neighbors than to someone from another place.

-S

#13 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

The funny part about the Capellans in MWO - is that it's full of Goons who are attempting to overthrow the government tonight!

Nothing like real time canon!

#14 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

"My dear... I give you the Capellan Confederation."
- Hanse Davion, 20 August 3028, declaring war on the capellan people as a gift to his bride.

#15 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostSlater01, on 05 April 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

The funny part about the Capellans in MWO - is that it's full of Goons who are attempting to overthrow the government tonight!

Nothing like real time canon!

Attempting?

#16 Parliment

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBehind you ...go ahead and look I dare you.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

They are all dogs and need to be put to death. No consessions no appeal no remorse. Slowly painfully and soon. fedrat pigs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup

#17 Tkhaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

Death with extreme prejudice, no mercy, no respite!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users