5 replies to this topic

#1 Bobdolemite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMariana Trench

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

So after a few lackluster cap conquest matches (that lasted less than 4 minutes each) started to think about previous MW games and how they dealt with conquest type missions. And then it hit me, there is a way to improve conquest making it not only more fun but more in line with MW canon. (IMHO of course)

Current conquest feels more like an under implemented death match with a cap function. When your capping you basically just sit there with as many people as you can get until the counter runs down (kind if boring for both sides)

Lets make conquest more interesting:

Conquest 2.0

Bases will have multiple destructible components that need to be cleared before they can be entered / captured:

Destructible Base Elements

Defensive Walls (with 2-4 destructible entry points)

Communications (interferes with friendly warning system - message all friendlies when destroyed)

Automated Defenses (automated mg turrets in key locations)

Ammo Storage

Fuel Tanks

Mech Bays

Headquarters

How it works

Match can be won by eliminating all enemy players or destroying base

For base destruction you will need first to breach the outer defensive walls to gain access. Once inside you can target destructible buildings. Betty will report components of the base destroyed to friendly units until communication tower is destroyed.

In order to win at least 80% of the base must be destroyed including the HQ

Each base and HQ can have a unique shape and or look so as to fit in with the map and other aspects of the game.

How is this better

IMO this makes the game mode better both for those who want to cap and those who want to hunt. For those who cap you now need to devise tactics to breach the base and systematically destroy the various pieces before the enemy team can respond. With automated defenses and perimeter walls bases will be harder to breach and stay inside requiring additional communication / teamwork.

I think this would be difficult for the devs to implement though I would venture to say that something like the above idea would be a true base conquest experience rather than the boring qq fest it is now.

Also I seem to remember some of my favorite mechwarrior moments picking apart bases that actually fought back, had perimeter walls, and destructible components.

(This is endgame stuff, wouldnt expect to see this until everything else is fixed and beautiful)

Edited by Bobdolemite, 27 March 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

I would rather see a gamemode that actually makes sense.

Doesnt make sense why you would build your base right next to an enemy base. It also doesnt make sense that mechs can capture bases.

#3 Inertiamon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

All will continue to suck with no respawns. Any strategy that involves the mildest risk to any individual will be entirely ignored in favour of blobbing up and rolling around the place with safety of numbers.

#4 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostKhobai, on 27 March 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

Doesnt make sense why you would build your base right next to an enemy base. It also doesnt make sense that mechs can capture bases.

It would be cool over time to see a VTOL come in with special forces for the capture. Also Turrets would be "Awesome" for these bases. Somethings holding it back from happening I know it is. Probably Comm Warefare but man it would be awesome to have base defenses.

#5 Bobdolemite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMariana Trench

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Think Korea DMZ =) im sure this exists in the MWO universe.

#6 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

Doesnt make sense why you would build your base right next to an enemy base.

Well you have to spy on them somehow.

It also doesnt make sense that mechs can capture bases.

Let's be honest, it's for the cookies.

@OP While it seems like a decent idea, this would take away time and effort from more top priority items this game needs. As much as i would love to destroy more things during a match... it can wait a few months. But that's just my opinion.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users