Atlas Or Catapault?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Munk8

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Which should be my new chasis?

I'm very much a brawler style player. I like to wade in, get up close and dirty, and dish out pain rather quickly. Never been much into missle boating or sniping.

My current chasis are HBK, CTF, and one little Raven 3L for when i feel pesky.

The Atlas is my understanding of a "tank," a damage dealer and a damage taker. I've been trying the stock trial Atlas, and have failed to even score a kill. (Probably because of configuration, lack of DHS, etc.)

The Atlas is a looming presence on the battlefield and arguably the most important piece of armor. The DDC is especially impressive with it's massive brawler-abillty AND ECM.

Catapaults have been wrecking me lately. A1, C4, and especially the 2 ac/20 K2. I'm rather intrigued by cheese and that much overwhelming firepower at such a close range. Most of the maps allow for navigation until you're right on top of an enemy. A few alphas from these mechs, and you're toast.

So, i go to you, the best gaming community ever made, to help me choose: Atlas or Catapault for my next 3 mechs?

Cheers

#2 BulletChief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 292 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

Atlas... definitely. i run with both chasis and the Atlas is the archetype of a Brawler!

yes, cheese-cats can be effective... until someone finds that the A1 arms are fragile and easily taken care of - not to mention the giant cockpit hitboxes of all cats...

#3 Truesight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Ask yourself, do you want to go slow and mighty or fast and tricky. With those Catapults (K2 and A1) you have to sneak in close and unleash your dmg, the Atlas is much more capable of being a tank and still dish out a lot of dmg, they play very different.

#4 Peter von Danzig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Stalker :-)

#5 AnnoyingCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Locationcat planet for cats

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

i ran both mechs and i mastered both mechs, but i found the Cat a lot more fun than the atlas

#6 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

They play so differently from each other that it is a tough question for anyone but you to answer. I like assaults and I like brawling, so I would recommend an Atlas. Although I own a dual AC/20 K2, I really don't care for Catapults. I find the Atlas more versatile, more fun, and generally more useful to your team.

#7 Viralstrayne

• PipPip
  • The Covert
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I own cats and I do believe the K2 is one of the best things in game. You can kit it out so many different ways and can cause a lot of hurt when you get the hang of em :P

#8 Munk8

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

thanks all! I'll probably end up owning 3 versions of each chasis!

#9 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

The K2 'pult is one f the most versatile mechs in the game. Twin gauss, twin AC20, quad large laser, quad PPC, 2 big energy weapons and a big AC or gauss, 2 big energy weapons and 2 smaller ACs... XL engine, no XL engine... And in most cases respectable armor.

#10 SC1P1O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

Catapult is much more flexible mech, Its faster, and can pack some very interesting firepower combos. In a one on one with equal pilot skill, The catapult will probably win. In addition, there are 3 good variants of the Catapult, easier to elite, the Atlas RS is only decent mech besides DDC, and atlas cost at least 4-5 mill more.

#11 Munk8

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Catapults do seem very flexible! I'm not much of an assault guy truth be told...

#12 Desist

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Mastered both Chassis and I liked the Atlas the best. Catapults are fun, but they're squishy and the cheese Cats can be a bit tedious to play as. The Atlas is a Tank and can have a nice mix of weaponry with the tonnage to make them run.

#13 Johnny Flyswatter

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOromocto, NB

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

I find that the Catapults can be powerful builds, but you may end up getting bored with them quicker than the atlas builds. My first trio I worked on was the Catapults, and I had an amazing time with my C4 LRM boat, then a K2 gauss sniper, and then a third that I just trained to elite the first two.

Due to their size though, I find that there is not much room for flexibility in different builds, hence my mentioning that you may be bored with them quicker. I like to think I am a pretty good sniper, but every round...ugh...and then the LRM build was one-upped by the entrance of the Stalker.

However, the Atlas lets you play with a lot of tonnage and crit space, so you can make multiple long/short range builds of the same variant. Don't like how it's working for you? Strip it and rebuild. It has lots of options and will keep you entertained. Downside is obviously the cost.

My recommendation: go with the Atlas. I think you'll find that if you go Catapult, it will get old quick given the superior Stalker builds out there. I rarely play mine anymore unless my team wants a sniper in the lineup.

Just my $0.02. Hope that helps!

o7

JF

#14 loliza

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

ATLAS! no doubt cats are pretty sweet mechs but the atlas is just 35 tons additional fun :)

#15 Munk8

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Thanks guys. I woke up today and was all like, let's go buy a Catapault! But, the last few posts there have me second guessing again...

With over 30 mil in MC saved up with my vacillating, it might not matter which one i get at this point, just as long as i'm not wasting xp in mastered chasis!

Cheers guys n gals.

#16 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Can't
Cope
With
The
Slow....

thus... Atlai are a no go for me. Just food for thought.

Edit: You sure you don't have 30 mill in C-Bills saved up?

Edited by juxstapo, 10 March 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#17 Johnny Flyswatter

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOromocto, NB

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Cheers mate - happy hunting!

#18 Munk8

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Got me a ddc and a D!

I emulated a D build off the "Four Horsemen" forum thread. It was geared towards long range support: 2 LRM 20, 2 LLas, 1 gauss.

I struggled severely with this mech and it's play style.

Was slightly discouraged, it's hard to buy a 10 mil dollar mech, drop 4 more on upgrades, and feel as though i could do better in a Hunchie P variant...

No fear! I've found a fun brawler-esque build that suits me pretty well so far: 2LLas for reaching out and touching people, 2 MLas for when the battle draws nigh, an ac20 with enough tonnage to shoot at a distance to let people know i'm coming, and 2 SSRM for light swatting.

In summary: Atlas D
2 LLas arms
2MLas C torso
2 SSRM L torso
1 AC/20 R torso.

Very viable, pliable, and fun!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users