C.a.s.e./damage Transfer Question

22 replies to this topic

#1 RedrumnCoke

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

If I have ammo stored in the left arm (I have a mech with large side torsos and small arms) will a case in the left torso prevent that damage from spreading to the center torso? I understand the damage will transfer to the left torso but no worries there as I have nothing in it; I just don't want it to go to the center torso.

#2 gamingogre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Good question. It does in TT, so I can only hope it does here to.

#3 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

I think damage will transfer from the RA to the RT. If the RT was critical and with ammo inside of it (thus blowing up), case should prevent that damage to transfer to the CT.

I say this because case is in the RT not in the RA, therefore transfer from the arm should happen anyway.

#4 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

CASE stops ammo explosion damage from leaking into CT, probably why the highlander has CASE on the gauss-arm side.

#5 Tamion Evans

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

CASE is designed to only prevent the spicific section from ammo explosion transfering into the next section.

#6 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Correct, it should stop the explosion from transferring from the Torso into the CT if it is big enough. However do note that if you have an XL engine CASE isn't going to help you. :)

#7 reddragonwagon

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostTamion Evans, on 29 March 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

CASE is designed to only prevent the spicific section from ammo explosion transfering into the next section.

Why does the stock JM6-DD Jagermech come with an XL engine and CASE? Will the CASE do anything for you?

#8 reddragonwagon

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostEvinthal, on 29 March 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Correct, it should stop the explosion from transferring from the Torso into the CT if it is big enough. However do note that if you have an XL engine CASE isn't going to help you. ;)

This was the the quote I was going for...
Why does the stock JM6-DD Jagermech come with an XL engine and CASE? Will the CASE do anything for you?

Edited by reddragonwagon, 31 March 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#9 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

View Postreddragonwagon, on 31 March 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

To give the pilot better chance of surviving the explosion. Makes sense in-universe and Battletech in RPG format.

#10 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

If the repair and rearm system was still a part of the game, having CASE in your side torso would prevent your XL Engine from being completely trashed and cost you more to repair it. The devs have stated that they are looking into a way to make having CASE with XL Engines practical. That particular JagerMech just happened to come with CASE and an XL Engine in its stock loadout.

#11 The Prime Minister

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUsually deactivated

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostSeth, on 31 March 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

The devs have stated that they are looking into a way to make having CASE with XL Engines practical.

A simple way to do it would be to give CASE the added benefit of reducing any critical damage in the section it's in by a certain percentage (33-50%?) as well as prevent spill-over. So you have all of your armor stripped & suddenly 2 AC20 shots left in your RT explode. Without case you'd get 40dmg, excluding any other components exploding. With CASE, you'd only get 20 dmg. Seems reasonable. In any case, when your side torso is so exposed that sh(t starts to blow up, it ain't that big of a deal if you take less damage from the critical. You're gonna die soon enough anyway so it's still kinda balanced.

#12 XSerjo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

I'm trying to put ammo in arm and case torso if it possible - helps a lot. Because most of the time I tend to loose torso armor first, when arm-armor is OK.

But there're counter question:
Does C.A.S.E. help with damage transfered from leg?

#13 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostXSerjo, on 01 April 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

I'm trying to put ammo in arm and case torso if it possible - helps a lot. Because most of the time I tend to loose torso armor first, when arm-armor is OK.

But there're counter question:
Does C.A.S.E. help with damage transfered from leg?

If you pack a standard engine, and enough ammo to blow though your leg + torso yes.

#14 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

An ammo explosion in the leg is treated exactly as an ammo explosion in an arm would be treated, so yes, case does prevent a leg ammo explosion from moving past the side torso to which the leg is connected.

#15 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

The only way for a CASE to possibly fail, to my knowledge, is to have several explosions or to lose the torso it's stored in.

Examples:

Arm that has ammo is critically destroyed. Travels to side torso, destroys side torso with CASE and stops there. You would need a further ammo destruction in the corresponding side's leg to destroy the mech via explosion damage.

Side Torso containing CASE is destroyed outright (an alpha to someone's side torso). Corresponding leg ammo is critically destroyed. Damage will immediately travel through the destroyed side torso into their CT, chances are good they will die in 1-2 ticks--unless the critted ammo has been utilized already or is AMS/etc.

#16 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostSelfish, on 05 April 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

...unless the critted ammo has been utilized already or is AMS/etc.

Does AMS ammo not do the standard 20 damage?

#17 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 06 April 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

I believe it does 24 damage when full, which usually isn't enough to kill you.

#18 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 06 April 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

The type of ammo, and amount left affects ammo explosion damage.

#19 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

View PostStingz, on 07 April 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

The type of ammo, and amount left affects ammo explosion damage.

This is entirely true.

You can find the list of damage values here. Multiply the damage value of the ammo with the ammo/ton to get the explosive potential of each ammo. Do keep in mind that while the past few patches changed damage of many weapons, they did NOT change explosive damage--likely an oversight. A ton of SRM ammo, for example, currently has a total of 150 damage when used on opponents. If critically destroyed, it has a total of 250 damage which will travel throughout your mech.

#20 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

I may not be following correctly but could someone answer me bluntly?

I have a Cataphrat 2x with a Gauss Rifle in the right torso, and an XL engine. Will case do anything at all for me, or am I wasting 1/2 a ton?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users