126 replies to this topic

#1 Cruxshadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

To all of the whiners and the haters.

Enough.

So PGI chose to use the year 3049 as the starting year, so what. If you don't like the fact that the Clans and Clan Mechs are going to be part of the game you have two choices deal with it or don't play. But stop whining.

Some of us have been waiting patiently and are happy that the Clans are going to be part of the main story line. Some of us like playing Clan Mechs, we think that they are designed better, look better, cleaner. It is not our fault that they have better tech, that the IS tech just stagnated.

PGI has made the Clans part of the game and are not likely to change that fact so make a choice deal with it or quit, but enough with the whining.

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

Actually...there is no official word yet on the introduction of Clans.

#3 JHare

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

The issue is that players leap to clan tech only because it is better, not for design philosphy or for the fluff. NOrmally i wouldn't care, but there is no balancing this in btech. In most games when their is un-even tech they do one of two things. Either each side has unique tech and has distinct strengths anhd weaknesses, or they do a leveling system where higher level tech gets pitted against higher level.

There is no system like this for the clans. They show up and get better everything. And watching players leap on that option and not care at all about balance is tiring. They just see glitter and sparkles and goo 'Oooh! GImme my Timberwolf!"

I'm not happy about the clans showing up, but I understand that plot-wise, 3049 is the most logical and fruitful time to start. New tech, plot devices, wars, mechs showing up, etc. It is a busy time period fluff-wise. 3025 doesn't leave oppurtunity to expand so they didn't pick it.

#4 Max Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

Seriously, they are going to be in the game. In faq, when asked about wether clans were in the game they game a :D. This is clear proof that they will be in the game. Probably a post launch expansion or premium mech to start off with, but I can almost guarentee we will be seeing a timber wolf in the game either at launch or post launch. Just way to popular of a mech.

#5 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:38 AM

It will be balanced.

#6 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Clan mechs could easily be balanced by cost, matchmaking weight and giving IS pilots salvage/loot rewards for destroying one.

This means anyone who is piloting a clan mech is going to get dog piled and have a huge repair bill afterwards, while the matchmaker keeps them in the minority.

#7 black oak

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York

View PostCruxshadow, on 04 June 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

So PGI chose to use the year 3049 as the starting year, so what. If you don't like the fact that the Clans and Clan Mechs are going to be part of the game

Has nothing to do with PGI... The introduction of the clans was seen by a *lot* of people back in the day as just another "cash" grab by FASA, outdating everything that came before.

Your right about one thing though. When clans come in, there may well be a few people who "check out".

W/E - it's giant, fighting mechs. As with any other game, I'll play it as long as it's fun. When it's no longer fun, I'll play something else. Oh, bye the way. People will complain/debate/disagree as long as there are forums... :D

#8 Corsair114

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

What 'mech in the history of the Battletech/MechWarrior franchise is the most recognizable and when was it introduced?

That should pretty comprehensively give you a good idea of why this point in time was chosen for the game. It let's PGI get the game up and running, and start fine tuning the game before they really start winding up their marketing push. :)

#9 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:02 AM

View PostCorsair114, on 04 June 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

What 'mech in the history of the Battletech/MechWarrior franchise is the most recognizable and when was it introduced?

That should pretty comprehensively give you a good idea of why this point in time was chosen for the game. It let's PGI get the game up and running, and start fine tuning the game before they really start winding up their marketing push. :)

The Warhammer?

The Marauder?

or the Locust?

#10 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

i don´t cry, and i told many times, that i´d play MWO ANYway, weither there are clans coming or not, there is pve or not, as long as it´s fun... i find the clans interesting, story-wise...BUT there are many issues with balancing, that need to be thought about IF the clans would appear anytime soon... i don´t see much whining here in the forums from ppl who don´t like the clans... but i see alot threads like "wäääh why is me MadCat not in game at launch"... there is a pro-clan faction and a contra-clan faction, (and ppl like me who don´t really care) and neither of us knows anything about IF, WHEN or HOW those OPed tankbreeds will appear...

And again, i PREFER the pre-clan era, but i also like the POST-claninvasion era around 3055-´65, when things are nearly even again...
but as long as the "first contact" is well done and fun for everybody, not only the guys who kill 3 IS mechs with their omni, i´m fine...

btw:

View PostDragon Lady, on 04 June 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

The Warhammer?

clearly this one^^

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 04 June 2012 - 04:19 AM.

#11 Tarskin

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 90 posts
  • LocationDen Haag, Nederland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

I hope that PGI keeps clan mechs limited or awards them only as a special prize to specific players in the 'early' invasion years and should only make clan mechs available in general at the time that IS tech has caught up with them as to not cause major inbalance in the game.

#12 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

View PostDragon Lady, on 04 June 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

The Warhammer?

The Marauder?

or the Locust?

Yeah - the Unseen have pretty much got it for being recognizable.

Following the Unseen... the Atlas is a good contender, yes?

View PostJHare, on 04 June 2012 - 03:30 AM, said:

The issue is that players leap to clan tech only because it is better, not for design philosphy or for the fluff. NOrmally i wouldn't care, but there is no balancing this in btech. In most games when their is un-even tech they do one of two things. Either each side has unique tech and has distinct strengths anhd weaknesses, or they do a leveling system where higher level tech gets pitted against higher level.

There is no system like this for the clans. They show up and get better everything. And watching players leap on that option and not care at all about balance is tiring. They just see glitter and sparkles and goo 'Oooh! GImme my Timberwolf!"

I'm not happy about the clans showing up, but I understand that plot-wise, 3049 is the most logical and fruitful time to start. New tech, plot devices, wars, mechs showing up, etc. It is a busy time period fluff-wise. 3025 doesn't leave oppurtunity to expand so they didn't pick it.

Also, this.

IMO, the best way to have the Clans in-game would be to have them played by very high-level - almost "cheating bot" level - AI. Also, the same AI could be "dumbed-down" for use as "Periphery pirates" and such.
Then, players would be restricted to the role of Inner Sphere MechWarrior - fighting for one of the Great Houses, a Merc Corp, or going solo and independent as a Lone Wolf.

This would eliminate the potential issue of a "depopulated" IS (when large numbers of people switch to the Clans for the tech advantages).

Additionally, the bots could be programmed to emulate classic Clan behavior (propensity to duels and "traditionally honorable behavior", observance of Zellbrigen (until violated by the opponent), and so on - it's the behavior that served as one of the primary balancing factors to the balance to the tech advantage), thus ensuring that players are fighting "the Clans as they were meant to be" rather than "munchkins and power-gamers seeking a tech advantage".

Moreover, having the AI Clansmen be nigh-unbeatable (at least, one-on-one) would keep recovery/salvage rates relatively low for the heavier Clan 'Mechs (and, correspondingly, the larger and more powerful Clan weapons).

Finally, it would give the Devs greater control of the Clans' advance, thus helping them to preserve the canon timing (and, where absolutely necessary, outcome) of in-universe events.

Your thoughts?

#13 chainedbeast

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

The battlemaster was on one of the first covers.

#14 Steel Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Locationgood old Germany

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

Isn't a battered Rifleman on the cover of Decision at Thunder Rift?

Oh and btw i've seen more complaints about ppl complaining about the clans, that actual complaints about the clans...

#15 sheradin

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationPa

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

strum your sugjestion appers to a good one

#16 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:02 AM

i second what Sturm said generally speaking... it's the only way to get clans to behave like the clans short of implementing/forcing zellbrigen and bidding mechanics on clan players. that said, i am all for players being allowed to play as the clans if they actually PLAY AS THE CLANS. so far, we have yet to see that happen. the AI co-op gametype is also an excellent idea in itself.

and let's be honest, the the mad cat is iconic (mostly thanks to mechwarrior 2&3 box art and the 3050 TRO cover art) but it can't really be argued as the MOST iconic. as mentioned above, there are quite a few contenders. assuming we disregard those that infringe upon copyrights, the atlas is in A LOT of IS related stuff. the Zeus is certainly VERY iconic in regards to all things Lyran. i would also add the highlander. it has it's own "special move" for christsake :) ultimately what is iconic is really dependent on where your loyalties lie. Dragon = Kurita, Enforcer = Davion, etc.

but make no mistake, if not for copyright issues, the phoenix hawk, marauder or warhammer easily carry more "history" with the franchise than any clan mech... damn you harmony gold!

god, i really do hope we see some reseen, copyright friendly versions for MWO (that still look good!). i will spend sooo much money on this game if we get them

Edited by MagnusEffect, 04 June 2012 - 05:32 AM.

#17 Cruxshadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

View PostCorsair114, on 04 June 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

The MadCat (Timber Wolf) it is the most Iconic Battle Mech around, it has been used in countless adds and articles promoting Battle Tech and Mech Warrior. I know that the design has been around since 1989.

#18 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

Using AI to emulate Clans as they are meant to be ... that's the easy way out for sure. Does it solve the inherent balance issues? Not one bit. It only emphasizes them when players get a hold of Clan Tech and use it IS style. I vote nay.

Costs/resources are a certain way to keep Clan Tech on a leash. Not even the Clans used their full tech advantage on a massive scale because it would cripple their resources. I'd wager that the majority of Clan forces are second liners tasked with defense along with their tougher infantry elements (Elementals). The small portion of highly expensive, modern Omni Mechs is just the tip of the iceberg. Those are most likely being held back on purpose and thrown at points of strategic interest, just because they would be too valuable for anything else.

#19 GusTheInsane

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 31 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWichita Kansas

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

I have played MW for a long time, but then lost my PC, when I heard it was coming back I was on the edge of my seat, still am kinda, but the point im trying to make is when a new game comes out there is always something that players disagree with, it happens to all gamers and game moders, I myself am a map moder or UT3 (Unreal Tournament 3), but with that said clan mechs of no clan mechs why does it matter, when the game finally goes live to the public this gamer just dont care, I wanna play!!!!

#20 Talynn DeRaa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:30 AM

This is currently my greatest fear about the future of Mechwarrior Online: The Clan Mechs.

Ridiculously expensive to produce. Ridiculously pricey to repair. If they justify the clans in still being overpowered weapons of war through their price alone, this -will- be the factor of MechWarrior Online being a Pay To Win game.

However, I'm more than certain that PGI won't allow that to happen. I'm sure they'll still be ridiculously expensive to buy and repair. They better. What I think the truth of it all will come out in the Mech Skill Tree. My thought on it, is that it will require a -ton- more experience to unlock those potential components that the Clan Mech can have to unlock its "True potential," Just like they are for regular IS mechs. These trees will be far more separated and branched than the ones IS has, and will require more experience to reach their end-goals. That way...Those who are TrueBorn clanners, those who have trained YEARS to weaponize their mind and body, and push their mech to its limits, will be the factor of "imbalance," and not the mechs innate powers alone.

And hell, perhaps even by that time, someone who has dedicated themselves very hard and steadfast to a small number of mechs on the IS side may be able to easily go toe-to-toe with Clan 'Mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users