Should I buy Battletech?

13 replies to this topic

#1 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

I was wondering, should I get into the Battletech board game? I heard that the 25th Anniversary Box Set is good value, but I also have Warhammer 40k and I am naturally rather frugal.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Are you sure Table Top forums wouldn't be a better place to ask a question like that?

As for the TT, I don't own it, but it's basically opposite to the Wh40k, which makes the most money out of 400 figure armies all costing 6€ a piece, while with this the most of the game is centered around the lore and you get a lot of mechs in a single box. ;)

#3 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

View PostMechRaccoon, on 07 May 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

I am naturally rather frugal.

With Battletech that's no problem!
The Boxed Set contains enough to keep you playing until you get bored with the sheets available.
You get rules on how to construct your own 'Mechs (basic building rules, the bigger item things are in Tech Manual).
So even if you get bored with the different variants you could tweak a design here or there, even make your own and try it out.

The record sheets Catalyst sells are in PDF format and contains hundreds of different designs for each era.
There's also unofficial fan based design programs like Solaris Skunkworks which are free and still have some tech support by their own designers.

Once you want to step into more than just 'Mechs you could save up for Total Warfare and Tech Manual which gives you rules for all standard tournament based play. Aerospace fighters, infantry, battle armor, vehicles, ProtoMechs, and Mechs themselves all are expanded here. Tech Manual expands upon the basic construction rules from the Boxed set.

After that there are so many products you can buy but are not required.
Even the Battletech webpage has free quick start rules to give you a taste of the game, absolutely free. From Battletech to the larger scaled Battleforce all the way to a free quick adventure with the RPG and the basic framework for campaigns (Chaos Campaign).

Give that link a shot, even if you're frugal (I am too) you can take a taste of the game for the low price of free.

#4 Talon Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Yes

#5 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Also, to make use of your 40k stuff, you can play in a 'free style' version that doesn't use the hex maps. You can effectivily play 1 hex equals 1 inch and that 45 degree turns cost one movement point.

I played BT before I played 40k, so I think you might enjoy it some and pick it up rather quickly. You probably don't even have to spend any cash at all, since the first box game used 2D paper mechs 2 inches tall. You can do the same using the base 40k round bases if you can find some slotted ones.

#6 Jacob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

I bought anniversary box set recently and trust me its worth every penny of your money, it has everything you need in order to play, and with 26 mechs included you are not going to get bored with the set fast, as entry point to the game its an excellent investment.

#7 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yes. Yes you should. And as a 40K player you'll be amazed at how much of your money you'll have left for other stuff like food, rent and the like. :)

#8 Malikai Constant

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

I also have recently bought the anniversary box set and can attest that you get your moneys worth. As for the models themselves they are not the same quality as 40k stuff (although there are two special clan mechs included that are) but they are decent enough to start with. If you want to get better models they are availible in metal through a company on the main battletech website, Ironwind miniatures if IRC. The books and maps included with the box set are fantastic.

#9 LctRoyFokker

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEverett,Wa

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

You dont need to buy it, but it might help you understand and get into the Battletech universe. My problum is that I have alot of the orinigal books and Technical Readouts. And now I need to buy all the new ones :P

#10 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

:)

#11 Owl Cutter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

If you're no stranger to wargaming, I think the real box set is probably a safe investment if you already know you like the universe. If not, there's a free "universe introduction" booklet (.pdf format) which I highly recommend for all MW and BT newbies. It's one of the materials you get in the box set. Other such downloads include a set of record sheets, some reference tables, and a "quick-start" rulebook. The quick-start booklet opens with a couple of short stories, one of which is by Randall Bills, which is nice.

[edit=because I am an airhead]
All of those are official downloads that can be found on the official site:
bg.battletech.com
or, more specifically,
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=27
[/edit]

As for the real set with plastic minis, those higher-quality Clan 'mech ones are for the Summoner and Hellbringer, whose stats are not included in the box set and which actually are not even covered by the Intro rules that the set offers. (It's a long story.) They happen to be perfect fits for two very popular, classic Intro-tech 'mechs the box set also lacks (probably because they are "unseen") which would be a great fit, though: The Summoner mini is perfect for the Thunderbolt and the Hellbringer mini for the Warhammer. The summoner mini also fits the Hammerhands, which I think is the 'mech on the cover that is also not included in the set.

Edited by Owl Cutter, 20 May 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#12 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostOwl Cutter, on 20 May 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

As for the real set with plastic minis, those higher-quality Clan 'mech ones are for the Summoner and Hellbringer, whose stats are not included in the box set and which actually are not even covered by the Intro rules that the set offers. (It's a long story.) They happen to be perfect fits for two very popular, classic Intro-tech 'mechs the box set also lacks (probably because they are "unseen") which would be a great fit, though: The Summoner mini is perfect for the Thunderbolt and the Hellbringer mini for the Warhammer. The summoner mini also fits the Hammerhands, which I think is the 'mech on the cover that is also not included in the set.

Actually, the record sheets (and therefore stats) for the Prime and A variants of both the Thor and the Loki are in the Box Set. Though you are correct that the rules for using them aren't covered by the Introductory Rulebook.

Edited by Arctic Fox, 20 May 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#13 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

Ordered 25th Anniversary Box Set on Amazon. Took forever to arrive. It came. I opened it with glee. Discovered how awesome it was.

Thanks for your advice, guys!

#14 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

i could slap myself that i left all my stuff at a friend, to whom the contact broke...now it´s all lost... i didn´t have all the BT stuff, but quite a few mechs, maps and books... i miss them... so yes, buy the game and keep it in your safe... ;)

oh you have it already:) well then gz to you :(

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 03 June 2012 - 09:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users