PvP vs. PvE Poll

116 replies to this topic

Poll: PvP vs. PvE (352 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you want to play MWO, PvP or PvE?

1. PvP (261 votes [74.15%])

Percentage of vote: 74.15%

2. PvE (91 votes [25.85%])

Percentage of vote: 25.85%

If MWO never has PvE will you quit playing?

1. Yes (48 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. No (304 votes [86.36%])

Percentage of vote: 86.36%

Would you pay money to have a PvE element to MWO?

1. Yes (171 votes [48.58%])

Percentage of vote: 48.58%

2. No (181 votes [51.42%])

Percentage of vote: 51.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

I think that everybody accepts that MWO is PvP. What a number of people are hoping for is that it will enable PGI to produce some PvE at some point, perhaps even a 3025 period MW5.

#22 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostRevage, on 02 June 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

Eh, 'suffer' in the sense of lost opportunity if no PvE element is ever added. PvE offers an integration-period for new players that isn't as competitive as PvP, which can help with retention of new players. This'll broaden the player-base and maybe draw in some perspectives that differ from the PvP community at large, creating a more vibrant community. Mechwarrior also has a rich history and lore that could be played out through missions available in some kind of simulation. Fighting in the Star League, maybe? Also, these kind of PvE missions could be transferred into PvP mission equivalents with players on either team attempting to meet the same objectives, thus the PvP would lose nothing from the addition of this style of PvE mission, they would still get new maps with possible new modes and objectives, just a little more history and grounding in the lore than "LULZ I IN GIANT MECH DROPPING ON PLANET TO SHOOT YOU NO REASON JUST SHOOT".

You may have never noticed this.. but in a single-player game, you are fighting against CPU's, not other players. Thus, you are fighting the AI, i.e., you are doing nothing different from PvE.

Well, I suppose there is the difference that you don't have friends playing with you talking enjoying the game..

Noticed it... AIs are easy to beat, the real challenge is live thinking pilots.

#23 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

I am all in for PVP. Personally I feel that the expanse of the pve mechwarrior experience has been well developed and I really look forward to a title that is fully pvp.

Hmm I would say the best implementation of AI being part of a Multiplayer experience was in the recent mount and blade games (both With Fire and Sword and Napoleon.) In both of these there is a captain mode where the player is a regimental commander basically and can order his soldiers to fight against the other regiments. While it works in that context (with muskets and cavalry) I wouldn't really want to see this in the mechwarrior context. I would say the PVE is "too easy" and it is not the same rush as the pvp experience.

#24 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Personaly i dont mind PvE element. It's good for starters or for some mindles PEW PEW GIANT ROBOTS etc but not if it comes in expense of PvP and it's definately not something i would gladly pay for.

#25 Stormdragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 02 June 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

I think that everybody accepts that MWO is PvP. What a number of people are hoping for is that it will enable PGI to produce some PvE at some point, perhaps even a 3025 period MW5.

Right but connecting it to MWO would provide another and much welcome revenue stream and that benefits us all because all of us want to see this game succeed.

#26 Revage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationCoos Bay, OR

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostGladewolf, on 02 June 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

I Think the other poster was attempting to tell you that NOONE wants WoW with mechs. I think we would ALL walk. Being able to run missions against simulated aggressors with your friends/lancemates at least for trainning purposes is more of what is being discussed.

That's what I meant, yup.

#27 Talon Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

Why would anyone's prime motivation for playing an exclusively PVP(at launch) game be PVE?

"Oh, yeah..I came for the PVE, but I'm staying for the delicious cookies...What? No cookies either...bummer. "

#28 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 02 June 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Now that I could stomach a lot better than trying to make MWO some kind of PvP/PvE hybrid. There has never been a multi-player PvE element of MechWarrior and creating one would be creating an entirely new game concept as compared to all of the previous titles. The only PvE in the previous versions was single player mode, not online and not multi-player. To change that in MWO would be a bit disappointing for me.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 02 June 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#29 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostGladewolf, on 02 June 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

I Think the other poster was attempting to tell you that NOONE wants WoW with mechs. I think we would ALL walk. Being able to run missions against simulated aggressors with your friends/lancemates at least for trainning purposes is more of what is being discussed.

slippery slope man. gimme maps and mechs Ill be happy.
Im sure there ARE people out there that want WOW with mechs. Cant see it myself but Id bet they exist.

#30 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

The last thing I want is for MWO to be another PVE NPC grind. Just so you know, MMO PVE is not a Singlplayer game, it's a ba-zillion-mob grind. You aquire strange maladies such as catass, cheez-puff starvation and worse. Your dreams become populated by elves, dwarves, or whatever NPC you've been grinding for the past year. Meanwhile you're saying to yourself, "Do I really like this game?"

Now I wouldn't mind a few PVE missions as side activities for pure roleplay, but MechWarrior is best experienced as a PvP multiplayer. Unlike other MMO PvP, the RP in MechWarrior gets better when real people pilot the 'Mechs and are members of the various factions and units. Even when players ignore the roleplay, they are still bound to it, and the majority of players either RP or go along with it. So little that PVE can offer is lost in MechWarrior PvP.

#31 combatplayer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 137 posts
  • LocationMilkyway Galaxy

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

i would like online pve with proper AI. and i would love the heck out of singleplayer. i am in no way a pvp fan and will be playing this ONLY because of the franchise. to start with at least.

plus, who knows. it might be a blast to play pvp for this once in history.

Edit: by pve i mean people against bots in teams - or singleplayer. none of that grind fest bull.

Edited by combatplayer, 02 June 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#32 William McNab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

I would like the PvE environment for training purposes and getting to know what type of mech class I would enjoy before going full bore into spending resources on a particular mch class.
There may also be a reason tto have a PvE situation if a "lone wolf" or "Pirate" Mercs are dropping on a planet with only indie defenses. In that case the locals would try to defend the planet ... and lose.
If there is a house unit, or Mercs available to defend a world then PvP should be the battle of choice.

#33 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Would I like a PvE element to the game? Sure. Do I think it's necessary? Nope.

If there were a PvE element to the game I'd actually prefer it be actual MechWarrior (Aka outside of mechs) a good chunk of the time if it were MMO.

If it's singleplayer... then eh, ok, can give or take.

Will I stop playing MWO if there is never a PvE aspect? Nope.

#34 Stormdragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 02 June 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

Would I like a PvE element to the game? Sure. Do I think it's necessary? Nope.

If there were a PvE element to the game I'd actually prefer it be actual MechWarrior (Aka outside of mechs) a good chunk of the time if it were MMO.

If it's singleplayer... then eh, ok, can give or take.

Will I stop playing MWO if there is never a PvE aspect? Nope.

And that is how most folks feel I think..it's the ones that are all:

"If there is ever PVE I will be uber disapointed and will probably quit"

or

"If I don't gets my PVE I refuse to play!!1111oneeleven

That are more than a bit over the top, like Bryan said way back in QA1 "We're looking at ways to incorporate PVE post launch and withing the framwork of the MWO concept." We already have seen that there are several profitable ways to do that, so we're more than likely are going to see some type of PVE at some point...neither play style is going to hurt the other Piranha is making sure of that, that's why they are holding off for now.

It's a big universe plenty of room for everyone.

Edited by Stormdragon, 02 June 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#35 black oak

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 02 June 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Due to some recent discussion I thought it would be interesting to see where the community stands on PvP vs. PvE? This poll is only for the purpose of comparing PvP vs. PvE as a motivator to play MWO. While I am aware that there are many other possible motivations for playing MWO this poll is only designed to measure PvP vs. PvE. Please choose the answer that best fits your motivation. Personally, I find it odd that people want PvE, but maybe I am in the minority. If I am, then MWO may not turn out to be the game I was expecting after all. I am curious to know where most people stand, so I created this poll.

Need other options:

First question: "BOTH" or "Because it's GIANT FIRE BREATHING MECHS!" I mean, that question will *totally* skew your results.
For your second question: wouldn't it be more accurate to ask "will you keep playing longer if MWO includes PVE play"?
I"m ok with your third question, as I bought the first two MW games with no "online" component...

I'm at work - just got called out - brb

#36 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostStormdragon, on 02 June 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

And that is how most folks feel I think..it's the ones that are all:

"If there is ever PVE I will be uber disapointed and will probably quit"

or

"If I don't gets my PVE I refuse to play!!1111oneeleven

That are more than a bit over the top, like Bryan said way back in QA1 "We're looking at ways to incorporate PVE post launch and withing the framwork of the MWO concept." We already have seen that there are several profitable ways to do that, so we're more than likely are going to see some type of PVE at some point...neither play style is going to hurt the other Piranha is making sure of that, that's why they are holding off for now.

It's a big universe plenty of room for everyone.

I see your point...... But ;) it never fails if pve is in a game that it WILL effect
pvp through combat rules. Every online game Ive played with pve has done this.
ie: Eve Online for one CCP constantly changing game mechanics to
to appease pvp'ers and pve'ers and its always lop-sided in the nerfing.

#37 Kazzamo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Why does any mention of PvE always equal WoW with mechs to some people? That doesn't even equate... this isn't an RPG, or a persistent open land. It's a match based FPS/Mech sim, no matter what if any PvE gets added it'd never be WoW with mechs. Personally, I've never been much of a PvP person simply due to the attitude you find in a lot of it, I'm hoping with an older franchise like BattleTech that the community will be mature enough to tolerate. That's pretty much the only reason I'm even looking at a pure PvP game like this is that bit of hope. But I'd be more than happy to see some PvE elements such as NPC tanks and such in matchs or co-op game modes, I don't expect any single player to ever be tacked on though.

#38 Stormdragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostArafinar, on 02 June 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

I see your point...... But ;) it never fails if pve is in a game that it WILL effect
pvp through combat rules. Every online game Ive played with pve has done this.
ie: Eve Online for one CCP constantly changing game mechanics to
to appease pvp'ers and pve'ers and its always lop-sided in the nerfing.

Not if they follow my very wise and very profitable plan of separate mechs for PVP and PVE

#39 jlbdeath

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationvermont

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

as this is a combat "tank" sim it goes without saying that pvp is much more of a challange then say bots. but i have always found pvp to be bullies proving how mean they can be. take WoW for instance if you have low item lvl gear the high gear peeps will always target the lower instead of the challange of better gear and better players. it seems like the devolpers of MWO have a grasp of this and should be a better mix of player vs player. we will see but i have high hopes. but i loved the game play of the former mechwarrior games that had pve tasking.

#40 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 02 June 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Due to some recent discussion I thought it would be interesting to see where the community stands on PvP vs. PvE? This poll is only for the purpose of comparing PvP vs. PvE as a motivator to play MWO. While I am aware that there are many other possible motivations for playing MWO this poll is only designed to measure PvP vs. PvE. Please choose the answer that best fits your motivation. Personally, I find it odd that people want PvE, but maybe I am in the minority. If I am, then MWO may not turn out to be the game I was expecting after all. I am curious to know where most people stand, so I created this poll.

These polls have horrible problems. First off since MWO was conceived and developed as PvP everyone is technically here to play MWO because of PvP. Second we're all going to quit playing at some point, so the second question is irrelevant. Middle ground options should be given for the first two questions. Since I can't give a good answer to them in their current incarnation, I can only answer the third, and that is a resounding yes I would pay extra for pve single and/or multi-player packs.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users