PvP vs. PvE Poll

116 replies to this topic

Poll: PvP vs. PvE (352 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you want to play MWO, PvP or PvE?

1. PvP (261 votes [74.15%])

Percentage of vote: 74.15%

2. PvE (91 votes [25.85%])

Percentage of vote: 25.85%

If MWO never has PvE will you quit playing?

1. Yes (48 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. No (304 votes [86.36%])

Percentage of vote: 86.36%

Would you pay money to have a PvE element to MWO?

1. Yes (171 votes [48.58%])

Percentage of vote: 48.58%

2. No (181 votes [51.42%])

Percentage of vote: 51.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

View Postoohawkoo, on 03 June 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

ur poll is too black and white:P you have no comprimise options at all =.= some ppl would play to do both :rolleyes: and therefor gives a biased result anyway

Please read the update in the initial post for more details regarding your concerns.

#82 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

MW:O is very clearly billed as a PvP game.. so, anyone that might answer your poll (i.e. us forum dwellers) should already be aware of that fact.. .which means if we're still here and interested in playing.. we're obviously good with playing a PvP game.

I'm not sure there is a segment of us who are here to play a PvE game at this point...

#83 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 03 June 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

i personally think they should have made the game PVP\PVE|RP combined to start with.

like i already mentioned...that would have cost lots of money and time, which i don´t think this devteam has...to have a game like that (sure would be a nice thing to have) you would need one of those big companies, and honestly, i rather have MWO like it is now, than the BIG risk to have some EA or whatever ruin it all by targeting the mass-market...

MWO is gonna be awesome, no matter what... and that is important :rolleyes:

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 03 June 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#84 Rot Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostMal, on 03 June 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

MW:O is very clearly billed as a PvP game.. so, anyone that might answer your poll (i.e. us forum dwellers) should already be aware of that fact.. .which means if we're still here and interested in playing.. we're obviously good with playing a PvP game.

I'm not sure there is a segment of us who are here to play a PvE game at this point...

Yes I suspect the number of true PVE'rs who come to these forums are those advocating for some PVE action. The claim that PVE/PVP has never been done well in any game ever, shows either a lack of experience or a lack of a capacity to coexist with players who have a different set of interests.

I am a hybrid player, I love PVE and PVP for different reasons. There are some people who just cannot accept that someone could find fun in one avenue or the other.

If they took this game hybrid I would be very happy. I don't want this at launch, however maybe next year for the clan invasion it would work well. Who wants to play a series of PVP matches where you WILL lose the match. That's right your inner sphere pilot from launch, will see no victories against the clans for most of next year. In fact unless PGI throws the lore out the window, facing the clans will be a death sentence. Out manned, Out Gunned, Out Tech'ed sounds like the sort of thing a PVE player enjoys and causes a PVP player to rage quit.

#85 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

co-op pve would be fun. otherwise i dont want to get involved with some kind of long drawn out story that i have to play by myself.

#86 Vectoron The Black Minister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

honestly some sort of a pve could be fun. but not at the cost of pvp imo. i wouldnt stop playing for pve. if i wanted that id go to the ever dumbed down world of warcraft.

#87 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostRot Wulf, on 03 June 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Yes I suspect the number of true PVE'rs who come to these forums are those advocating for some PVE action. The claim that PVE/PVP has never been done well in any game ever, shows either a lack of experience or a lack of a capacity to coexist with players who have a different set of interests.

I am a hybrid player, I love PVE and PVP for different reasons. There are some people who just cannot accept that someone could find fun in one avenue or the other.

If they took this game hybrid I would be very happy. I don't want this at launch, however maybe next year for the clan invasion it would work well. Who wants to play a series of PVP matches where you WILL lose the match. That's right your inner sphere pilot from launch, will see no victories against the clans for most of next year. In fact unless PGI throws the lore out the window, facing the clans will be a death sentence. Out manned, Out Gunned, Out Tech'ed sounds like the sort of thing a PVE player enjoys and causes a PVP player to rage quit.

Just what games do you think PVP/PVE have been done well?
Have you never played in a league where you had to use IS mechs against clan?
Its not a death sentence and matches have been won by IS against clan.

#88 Chromoid

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

View Postlutti, on 02 June 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

How would people implement pve into game that is about mechs vs mechs? Solo missions? Missions with other people against npc mechs? What's the deal with this pve talk i see here constantly and how people are disapointed that there isn't going to be any?
It's team of mechs against team of mechs ...what else can you ask of a mechwarrior game?

I think a lot of it has to do with the diehard fans of the original tabletop game. They want PvE (i.e. singleplayer mode) so that they can take part in the story of the battletech universe, something that's a lot harder to do in PvP.

That said, story mode can be done in PvP. Take Star Wars Online. They did a fantastic job of incorporating the overall story into the PvP gameplay, via large coordinated battles between sides and other fun stuff.

I'm sure Piranha has similar plans for MWO as it goes forward!

#89 Dantiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

MW begs for PVE
attacks to bases and special operations are part of BT world too
if the game will be only lance vs lance, will not take long before I get bored with the game

View PostArafinar, on 03 June 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

SD Gundam Online

#90 Rot Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostArafinar, on 03 June 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

Have you never played in a league where you had to use IS mechs against clan?
Its not a death sentence and matches have been won by IS against clan.

I have enjoyed the blend of PVE and PVP found in SWTOR (1-49), Rift(1-49) and SWG it was done only badly in LOTRO. That has been my personal MMORPG experience. Rift and SWTOR only became less enjoyable for me when they add their PVP 'stat' at end game.

Have you ever read the Battletech fiction? What planets did the Inner Sphere win on in 3050? Real long list huh?

Have you never played in a league where there was IS 3050 tech against clan 3050 tech? No clan weapons on the inner sphere mechs. Where the clans launch 2 LRM missiles for ever 1 LRM missile the inner spere launches. The clans get Streak SRMs for the same weight etc. that IS gets regular SRMs. That's just the missiles, the same things holds true for ACs and Energy weapons. I am not talking just chassis I am talking the whole package.

If next year its not a death sentence for inner sphere to face clan, then the game is broken plain and simple.

#91 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

I think having the initial Clan invasion be PvE could be fun... give use a way while keeping 'mostly' with the established story.. to earn our LosTech stuff.

That said.. I'd almost rather see them make a separate single player PvE game.. IF MW:O does well.

PvE/PvP like SWTOR does it, would be very nice too.. one over-arching 'story' mission..that you can break up with PvP as you desire.

#92 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostRot Wulf, on 03 June 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

I have enjoyed the blend of PVE and PVP found in SWTOR (1-49), Rift(1-49) and SWG it was done only badly in LOTRO. That has been my personal MMORPG experience. Rift and SWTOR only became less enjoyable for me when they add their PVP 'stat' at end game.

Have you ever read the Battletech fiction? What planets did the Inner Sphere win on in 3050? Real long list huh?

Have you never played in a league where there was IS 3050 tech against clan 3050 tech? No clan weapons on the inner sphere mechs. Where the clans launch 2 LRM missiles for ever 1 LRM missile the inner spere launches. The clans get Streak SRMs for the same weight etc. that IS gets regular SRMs. That's just the missiles, the same things holds true for ACs and Energy weapons. I am not talking just chassis I am talking the whole package.

If next year its not a death sentence for inner sphere to face clan, then the game is broken plain and simple.

LOL SWTOR thats a joke, have played it and its boring as thier sinking subscriber totals and firing of half the DEVs
shows. As to RIFTS cant comment on it havent played.
Yes I have read BT Fiction and I didnt mention it, I mentioned
Leagues as in actual video gameplay in mechs.
Yes I have played in leagues like that, winning is based on tactics
more than actual weaponry this has been proven all through out history.
This contrary to popular belief isnt TT,its based on TT (as much as live action can be) so you run on with that.
Ill see if I cant show ya when mechs hit ground. ;)

PS:BTW the leagues I speak of were in MW3 and 4 and stock mechs only

Edited by Arafinar, 03 June 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#93 Rot Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostArafinar, on 03 June 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

LOL SWTOR thats a joke, have played it and its boring as thier sinking subscriber totals and firing of half the DEVs
shows. As to RIFTS cant comment on it havent played.
Yes I have read BT Fiction and I didnt mention it, I mentioned
Leagues as in actual video gameplay in mechs.
Yes I have played in leagues like that, winning is based on tactics
more than actual weaponry this has been proven all through out history.
This contrary to popular belief isnt TT,its based on TT (as much as live action can be) so you run on with that.
Ill see if I cant show ya when mechs hit ground. ;)

Um no Devs got fired at Bioware... so um not sure what you are talking about there. The QA team that was epic fail, and the PR team that was fail, got replaced. Rift has basically the same PVP systems that SWTOR has. They fired people who were not doing their jobs, like the QA team that failed to identify so many software bugs.

Strat does matter, which was why the Inner Sphere eventually got some wins in. Raids to capture tech on occupied worlds, were a main source of this. After their handful of wins, the Inner sphere got tech. The battlefield got balanced. I have yet to see a league run with 3050 rules in a game, but I am not everywhere. The clan MWO should face should be able to do double the firepower the Inner Sphere has, for the same or less heat and weight. Tactics matter but the Inner Sphere is starting with a loosing hand in every battle in 3050, which is why they pretty much loose the contests.

#94 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostRot Wulf, on 03 June 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

This is simply a matter of opinion on your part and how closely MWO follows the books is completely in the hands of the Devs. MWO is under no mandate to strictly and always follow the books or anything else. There are and will be elements that do not get incorporated into the game simply because they are not beneficial. The primary driving force behind all of these types decisions is going to be revenue generation. This will result in meshing as much of the story as possible into the game as can be accomplished without causing problems that result in large numbers of players leaving the game. The Clans will be a part of the game at some point and if they choose to divide the player base into Clan and IS Technology groups they will face a myriad of balance issues regarding technology. In previous versions of MechWarrior the problem was of no consequence because all technologies were made available to all players. How will MWO manage these things is yet to be known.

#95 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostRot Wulf, on 03 June 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Um no Devs got fired at Bioware... so um not sure what you are talking about there. The QA team that was epic fail, and the PR team that was fail, got replaced. Rift has basically the same PVP systems that SWTOR has. They fired people who were not doing their jobs, like the QA team that failed to identify so many software bugs.

Strat does matter, which was why the Inner Sphere eventually got some wins in. Raids to capture tech on occupied worlds, were a main source of this. After their handful of wins, the Inner sphere got tech. The battlefield got balanced. I have yet to see a league run with 3050 rules in a game, but I am not everywhere. The clan MWO should face should be able to do double the firepower the Inner Sphere has, for the same or less heat and weight. Tactics matter but the Inner Sphere is starting with a loosing hand in every battle in 3050, which is why they pretty much loose the contests.

Um guess I was mistaken that Bioware was involed? dont think so. The lost subscriber base ? no comment? ok.
http://www.gamebreak.../swtor-layoffs/
I have played in 3 and if you havent and you are basing your view only on books youre only half armed.
If you ran a clan mech it had clan weaponry same with IS mechs. Believe me the clans didnt run away with it.

Edited by Arafinar, 03 June 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#96 Xigunder Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 425 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

This discussion is bringing up a long standing issue. PVE is player versus environment - ie computer generated AI opponents. PVP is player avatar versus another player avatar. For myself I enjoy PVE gaming a lot. When Battletech was a tabletop (PnP) game the players were up against the GameMaster, thus a quasi-PVE/PVP melange.

In online games players in general enjoy both, at different levels of interest. The 'problem' occurs with a minority, on both sides, who have a personal antagonism, for whatever reason, in having ANY content from another point of view. Do not know how to alleviate this antagonism but it shows up primarily in forum posts.

MWO is being presented as a PVP game - period. There will not be PVE content at launch, so PVP fan(atics) can rest easy. For myself, altho I enjoy PVE more than PVP playstyle, the franchise alone will be enough to bring me into playing the game. The possibility (altho faint at this time) that a PVE version may lie in the future is a positive for me. Perhaps some type of second grand server that will generate PVE shards (instances) like those we will use at launch within a separate meta-game can be implemented - who knows?

Most people who check this game out will learn quickly that it is a PVP game. Thus the primary nuimber of players staying here in the forums will skew toward PVP, obviously. But the poll does show that even among the PVP fans a majority are also interested in PVE. I am a retired game designer from TSR and Pacesetter games so revenue streams for a game are a VITAL requirement for any play at all, as I learned from experience. EVE is a niche game, containing both PVP/PVE with primary emphasis on PVP high level play and is doing well. I hope MWO will be able to accomplish the same.

As for me, I want a Raven and the MechLab and some C-Bills (lots of C-Bills). Not very capable as an FPS gamer but think I could really be helpful to a Corp as a scout/spotter.

#97 Rot Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 03 June 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

This is simply a matter of opinion on your part and how closely MWO follows the books is completely in the hands of the Devs. MWO is under no mandate to strictly and always follow the books or anything else. There are and will be elements that do not get incorporated into the game simply because they are not beneficial. The primary driving force behind all of these types decisions is going to be revenue generation. This will result in meshing as much of the story as possible into the game as can be accomplished without causing problems that result in large numbers of players leaving the game. The Clans will be a part of the game at some point and if they choose to divide the player base into Clan and IS Technology groups they will face a myriad of balance issues regarding technology. In previous versions of MechWarrior the problem was of no consequence because all technologies were made available to all players. How will MWO manage these things is yet to be known.

Yes well most prior Mechwarrior games dealt with the clan tech introducing it slowly to the inner sphere slowly as it was captured. With all the pvp content being placed at the end of the pve campaign chronologically. It made sense, with MWO we are starting as warring states, who are attacked in February by the clans.

It will be interesting to see how PGI deals with clan tech, given their commitment to stay true to the TT rule set and timeline. Guess we will get hints this fall, and find out the truth after New Years.

#98 Buy HIGH Sell LOW

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationRedmond, Washington

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

While I'm mainly in MW for the PvP, I'd enjoy PvE every once in a while - especially if it was cooperative play with others.

#99 Gamman Shadowrush

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

I would love some PvE to get added into MWO. Some story missions would be great. Ones that you can play either solo or co-op.

MechWarrior for me has always been about the campaigns and story mode. I played MechWarrior for the SNES, MW2 and MW3 (missed out on MW4 because of RPG's at the time). I played the campaigns/story mode on them and loved it. I loved being a mech pilot and earning money by taking jobs and missions piloting my own customized giant robot while going through a story. It's what I missed most when it came to MechWarrior, and I wished it never ended.

So when I heard that there was going to be a MechWarrior MMO I was really excited at first, but I did get disappointed when I heard it's just going to be PvP only. I can understand why, and since this is the first real MechWarrior in years I'm still going to give it a try. But mindless PvP would only keep me around for so long. I play PvP sometimes, but mostly in fighting games, FPS's and RTS's and after a while it eventually gets boring and I just move on. The games I play the most hours on are usually the ones with stories, missions or quests like RPG's, MMORPG's and Adventure games.

Here's to hoping that some PvE missions would eventually get added someday. ;)

Edited by Gamman Shadowrush, 03 June 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#100 Rot Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostArafinar, on 03 June 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

Um guess I was mistaken that Bioware was involed? dont think so. The lost subscriber base ? no comment? ok.
http://www.gamebreak.../swtor-layoffs/
I have played in 3 and if you havent and you are basing your view only on books youre only half armed.
If you ran a clan mech it had clan weaponry same with IS mechs. Believe me the clans didnt run away with it.

Um and where did you get I have not played in leagues..... I don't think I have stated that anywhere. I have played in past Mechwarrior games that added mechanics and re-balanced mech weapons and mechlabs in ways that were/are not Canon. The PGI guys have said they are aiming far closer to canon rules (TT) than previous games.

Being an active SWTOR gamer and reading all the press about what happened in Austin TX. They fired the QA team that failed at their job in finding bugs, and have or are hiring right now their replacements. They fired the PR types that were not posting to their forums and keeping their players in the loop, and have or are hiring right now their replacements. They fired the graphics artists who designed the Samurai Jedi PVP armor, which has been blasted by the player base, and have or are hiring their replacements right now. They have over 1 million subscribers, and too many servers, but still have more than 10x the number of forum members MWO have today. For the information on hiring look at Bioware's website under hiring, much has been said about the demise of SWTOR, but it is still solidly in the top 10 ptp mmorpgs in the world. Yup they fired a bunch of screw ups they should have fired before launch, but hey at least they are firing screw ups.

Back on subject, I personally look forward to MWO's PVP. I have friends I enjoy playing with who HATE PVP (also have some that HATE PVE), and I like to be able to play a game with all my friends. I love the story behind Battletech, played it since I was very young. Helped me learn a love of math.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users