My Primary Question About The Oculus Rift

No replies to this topic

#1 Carnivoris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Let me preface this by stating that I tried a few VR devices back in the 90s when VR arcade stuff was of limited availability (dont ask what they were called, I have no idea) and there were a few reasons I didn't like them. Eye strain, the feeling of having that headset strapped to your noggin, (at the time) HORRIBLE graphics!, but more importantly... they left you disoriented after you played them for more than 10-15 minutes. You'd pull the headset off and you'd be dizzy, nauseous, etc.

The reason for that is nothing to do with the visual quality of the screens in the helmet, it has to do with human anatomy. Our brains take input from many different sources, not just visual. It then combines those sources to give us our place in space. Namely, the most important accompaniment to the visual is the inner ear. It takes care of our equilibrium. It sends data to our brain about pressure changes that occur when we move around. Without that stimulus, how is ANY VR device going to result in a positive gaming experience?

It's not going to matter how pretty the pictures on the screen are if your brain doesn't get the proper information from the inner ear about attitude/altitude changes that we make (even going up a set of stairs without this informaton will send your brain reeling). You could probably sit there for 10 minutes without much issue, but I tend to spend more time than that playing a game when I sit down to play.

How does the Rift combat this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users