Pilot and Merc Company naming restrictions

19 replies to this topic

#1 NiXenith

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationGator Nation

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

There isn't anything in the FAQ about name restrictions and looking at recruiting board there are a lot of companies naming themselves after clans or companies in the lore.

I think there should be name restrictions to stop this. It's cheezy and disrupting to immersion to have 20 guilds named after the same clan, especially if the clan itself is represented in-game. Star Wars The Old Republic has name restrictions to stop people from playing as Darth Vader or Chewbacca so I don't see why this game can't have that too.

#2 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

Agreed. Plenty of Merc units to borrow names from, and lots of room for originality.

#3 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

Very good point! I'l sure they'll have banned names for this reason though.

#4 Blair

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

I'd like to see the game follow the EVE model for corp names. Have the overarching factions, and have several NPC Corps using the lore unit names, and then allow users to create their own merc npc corps, which can either be truly mercenary, or sign on with a particular faction.

#5 ELHImp

Com Guard

• 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

First of all, try role(yeah i'd say "role")play one of merc companys or clans for 5-10 years, and then we talk about restrictions.

#6 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,626 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

Well, 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry is no mere Clan unit. We exist in the annuls of House Davion and the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns. Hence the motto: "Point of the Sword." In short, we're the first in; the last one standing; the last one to leave the planet.

#7 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

View PostBlair, on 07 November 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

I'd like to see the game follow the EVE model for corp names. Have the overarching factions, and have several NPC Corps using the lore unit names, and then allow users to create their own merc npc corps, which can either be truly mercenary, or sign on with a particular faction.

I LOVE this! Yeah, totally, should be like EVE Online. You should be able to join NPC managed Corp, or create your own.

#8 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

No one can stop a group of people being called Clan Ice Kitten or Black Hippo Company. However, I hope there is a system of affiliation to the lore. Allowing that association without braking the lore and canon inside the eco-system of the game. I would hate to see that happen. 20 Wolf's Dragoons, or whatever. Many people in this community like to role-play and or have a deep apparition for the lore and canon of Battletech. I want to encourage this. I just want to see a system inside the game, that allows this to flourish, without braking the lore and the fun.

#9 Cyttorak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationAlbany, OR, USA

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

As ridiculous as it will get, and as much as I agree with the feeling of the OP, I doubt this will happen.

Get ready for 20 variations of Wolf's Dragoons (Wolves Dragonz, etc...) people.

#10 Rendall

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

I agree with the limitation of names. I would like to suggest also, if you try to create a name, not only does it tell you why you cant have that partciular name, but show you the clan or company that already has it, and perhaps instead people can consider joining the already existing ones.

#11 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

Awww, and I thought the early registration was a gold rush for the canon names. :)

#12 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

I agree with this.

I've brought this up with my clan. I'd like to see us take a certain cluster and roll with that.

That eve model sounds very interesting.

#13 jezebel

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

How important is it really to micromanage what other people want to call their gaming groups? Why let the name of other teams get under your skin - who has the time and energy for that?

That said, I don't think anyone is really under the impression that they'll be able to register their unit under the name Clan Wolf or Gray Death Legion, etc. It's merely what they wish their overall group to be known as on their own websites and among their own members.

Is it really worth the drama?

(yes I'm done rewriting this post now after the 5th time)

Edited by jezebel, 09 November 2011 - 12:16 PM.

#14 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Im so happy to see others agree with me. I had this same thread and got chopped at the knees for suggesting that people just cant decide they are gong to start a merc unit called the Eridian Light Horse, along with 50 other people :-)

#15 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

... make them pay for the "official name" :) heh i kid

#16 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

View PostELH_Imp, on 07 November 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

First of all, try role(yeah i'd say "role")play one of merc companys or clans for 5-10 years, and then we talk about restrictions.

If you have that extensive amount of experience roleplaying, then I'm pretty sure you can roleplay as a new merc faction.

View PostJohn Clavell, on 07 November 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

No one can stop a group of people being called Clan Ice Kitten or Black Hippo Company. However, I hope there is a system of affiliation to the lore. Allowing that association without braking the lore and canon inside the eco-system of the game. I would hate to see that happen. 20 Wolf's Dragoons, or whatever. Many people in this community like to role-play and or have a deep apparition for the lore and canon of Battletech. I want to encourage this. I just want to see a system inside the game, that allows this to flourish, without braking the lore and the fun.

I understand that some people appreciate and admire the factions and figures in Battletech lore. I do too. But there is a difference between appreciation and outright claiming "I am this House Lord!" which is just cheesy and hilarious. Its the same as folks naming their character Aragoon in Lotro.

Other than that, I agree with your post. They should have a mechanic to allow people to join certain popular factions without breaking the game's immersion too much. Having multiple Wolf's Dragoons is going to be very silly.

#17 itchies

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

I agree totally with the Original Poster. I would think that people would get tired of stealing established Mercenary Company names, pilot names, etc from the books and actually (gasp) try to come up with something original and let it actually achieve it's own fame on and earn the respect of your peers.

:)

#18 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Fighting a bunch of StefanAmaris1023 of the St0reLeage or NicolasKerensky1998 of Cl4nWhatsit would indeed be a bit boring to say the least.
Given the tendency of people to have problems coming up with names, I can't wait for the hilariousity that will insure when they're forced to do...

btw, there's loads of random name generators around, use them wisely.

#19 Andrew Harvey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCornfield, Indiana

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

View PostNiXenith, on 07 November 2011 - 12:13 PM, said:

There isn't anything in the FAQ about name restrictions and looking at recruiting board there are a lot of companies naming themselves after clans or companies in the lore.

I think there should be name restrictions to stop this. It's cheezy and disrupting to immersion to have 20 guilds named after the same clan, especially if the clan itself is represented in-game. Star Wars The Old Republic has name restrictions to stop people from playing as Darth Vader or Chewbacca so I don't see why this game can't have that too.

Also agreed.

I can see the potential for problems, especially when people start to claim units and only recruit members that speak a designated language.

#20 Werewolf

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationHeilbronn, Germany

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

I'm wondering what the OP has to say about canon units that actually could disrupt immersion already
due to the fact that they were implemented as references to 80's pop culture or named after creatures
from yet another universe...

E.g.: Fighting Urukhai...??

Who's to prevent me or someone else from creating the "Hellbound Hobbits" now?

However, I agree on rules to avoid 1-to-1 copies of canon units, unless they're intended as an NPC unit,
and those rules that help avoiding profanity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users