Awesome 8Q As A Money Maker

34 replies to this topic

#1 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm thinking about getting the Awesome 8Q to work alongside my Hunchback, grinding credits away. I liked the 8Q on tabletop, where it could lay down a punishing barrage of PPCs at range, and build up little heat when the cannons are fired 3-2-3-2.

Since my biggest 'mech right now is a 50 tonner, it's repair costs have been about 40000 cbills at most, usually getting me a 40000-90000 cbill profit, depending on a win or loss.

How does the stock Awesome 8Q behave in this regard?

EDIT: I do NOT run a premium account.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 21 November 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#2 Alilua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

You would have to mod it to get good use out of it, the standard ppc just has too many draw backs and the armor is on the weak side for assaults also slow as a lawnmower. Running default it can go around the same as your 40-130k but if you want to make money I suggest using a commando.

I suggest trading the ppcs for 4 large lasers. not too big investment if you sell the ppcs. And eliminates alot of problems with the stock. Running stock though the ppcs are not aligned right for long range and with current hit detection/lag your lucky to hit anything moving or smaller than a medium. Running stock the ppc can't hit within 90m and with slow speed you are just about dead.

#3 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

That's the answer I was looking for, thank you. If anyone else has any input, please post as well ;)

I really hope they do fix PPCs (as well as the light-caliber AC knock).

My AWS-8Q fix for now is a Hunchback with 3 PPCs, but I think it's too slow for the armor!

#4 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hi teleforce

The 8q was hands down my favourite mech before DHS and the like landed. I ran with 2 Large Lasers, 5 mediums. Very effective at most ranges; chain fire the large lasers for anything at range, group the mediums and switch to them exclusively when anything gets closer, throwing in a LL every now and again when heat permits.

If you want to run it as a money maker, you can use single heatsinks and a standard engine. With the above loadout, you can run a standard 275 (55kph top speed), fit the above weaponry (no ams - which isn't as lethal a mistake as it used to be) and 32 single heatsinks, for a heat efficiency rating of 1.2 or so.

If you drop back to a standard 250, you can fit 35 heatsinks in. The difference in heat dissipation looks small, but is noticeable.

I can't remember the stock engine off the top of my head, but I believe it's a 240. You can get the above weapons and 36 heatsinks on board there if you strip some armour from your legs and shield arm.

You can very well make money with this; you should be able to get kills, you have no ammo to replenish, and as most of the stuff you have on deck is low tech, it's less expensive to repair.

You can tickle enemies with the LL's out to 900m - and you should fire out to those ranges! Every point of damage helps towards earning cash. Mediums will score damage out to around 600 also, but stay with the LL's for enemies outside the 270-300m mark for optimum armour stripping efficiency. Firing lasers is free, so spend up big!

I've compiled a chart to help you decide when to fire:

1. Look for an enemy.
2. Locate an enemy.
3. Are they within range of ANY of your weapons?
4. Will you overheat if you fire? NO?
5. THEN FIRE.
6. Go to point 4 and repeat. Forever.

The main drawback is the feels-like-i'm-piloting-through-friggin-molasses top speed; your best option is to find a nice, ponderous meatshield (like an atlas!) and peel anything you can get your crosshairs on to pieces. You also need a reasonably steady hand. Lowering your mouse sensitivity by adding this to your user.cfg can help:

cl_sensitivity = 0.25
cl_fov = 75
cl_sensitivityController = 0.3
i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel=0

lastly, if you're a penny pinchin'..... this post is friggin awesome, and will SURELY help you save some cash:

http://mwomercs.com/...e-as-of-nov-14/

I.... have typed far too much. Hope this helps!

Edited by Kiiyor, 22 November 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#5 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I really like that post Kiiyor, thank you for replying :) I plan on sticking to a standard engine, as the XL is a death trap to me (when I design IS 'mechs for tabletop, I usually use standard or light engines, for the survivability).

I'm not sure that I would switch to DHS on the Awesome 8Q, unless it was to save weight for even more lasers. I was just playing around with Solaris Skunk Werks, and I found that I could save 11 tons using 17 DHS. In addition to 3 PPCs, I could use 2 ER Large Lasers to nail targets beyond the range of the PPCs, then unleash the PPCs as they get closer, with a medium laser in the head as an afterthought, more or less.

OR, instead of mounting more lasers with DHS, I could stick a 290 engine in it to speed things up to about 58 kph, then maybe mount a couple medium-class lasers of any type.

#6 Child3k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

I just got a 8Q. Only changed the weapons loadout to 4 LLs in Torsos und 2 MLs in right arm. And of course as many SHS as possible (28). The 4 LLs work pretty well in chain-fire - right when recycle-time of the first Laser is done, the last one is fired ... I'd say it's not optimal heatwise. But still manageable - and its quite cheap to maintain.

For future upgrades: I wouldn't go above the 275 engine unless you have spare weight. With the 275 and DHS you get the same heat-efficiency as with the 240+SHS.

Edited by Child3k, 23 November 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#7 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

So this is what I came up with MWO Mechbay. Standard everything except for DHS. Very cheap to run theoretically, but very likely to overheat like a *****. 5xMPL is essentially an Gausspult with unlimited ammo, and the extra oomph of 2xLPL can be more than helpful. Possibly the most powerful brawler so far except for the AWS-8R with 4xSRM6.

Chassis Name: Awesome
Model Name: AWS-8Q
Variant Name: Ghetto Giant

Engine: 290 Reg Engine
Internal Type: Std Internals
Armor Type: Std Armor
Heat Sinks: 19 (11) Double Heat Sinks

Tonnage: 80.00
Speed: 58.7 kph
Armor Total: 448
Alpha Strike Damage: 50.00
Alpha Strike Heat: 43.00
Firepower: 13.00 dps
Heat Efficiency: 23.82%
Effective Range of Loadout: 180m

Head: 18/18
Right Torso: 48/68
Right Rear Torso: 20/68
Center Torso: 70/100
Center Rear Torso: 30/100
Left Torso: 48/68
Left Rear Torso: 20/68
Right Arm: 52/52
Left Arm: 38/52
Right Leg: 52/68
Left Leg: 52/68

Right Arm:
Large Pulse Laser
Large Pulse Laser

Left Arm:
Double Heat Sink
Double Heat Sink

Right Torso:
AMS
Medium Pulse Laser
Medium Pulse Laser
Double Heat Sink
Double Heat Sink
Double Heat Sink

Left Torso:
AMS Ammo
Medium Pulse Laser
Medium Pulse Laser
Double Heat Sink
Double Heat Sink
Double Heat Sink

Center Torso:

Head:
Medium Pulse Laser

Right Leg:

Left Leg:

File created using MWO Mechbay

Edited by Helmstif, 24 November 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#8 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

I did finally get my AWS-8Q. It's a big shame that PPCs are underpowered right now. I did switch to 4 large lasers, added a half ton of armor, and an additional SHS. It's pretty effective. I can usually get two alphas off before I have to be concerned with heat. When I get to that point, I just fire a pair over and over again until I can find cover and cool all the way down. The heat is very manageable.

I'm debating if I should save up for a DHS upgrade and leave my config as is, or just keep saving up for that Atlas I want :mellow:

People keep saying that DHS are very inefficient on the Awesome since they take up so much space and aren't "true" DHS (1.4 external HS vs. 2.0 in the engine). While this is true, you still get a boosted heat capacity, and save more mass for other weapons.

#9 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Awesomes are incredibly underrated, and the 8Q with 4 LLas absolutely ruin things. ATM i've swapped over to a 9M (which is what youll want to do with about 15m or so cbills). Swapped the XL engine with a standard 290, 3 LLas, a few extra double heatsinks, 3 SSRM2s and AMS. It's absolutely brutal.

#10 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

I was never really interested in putting missiles on an Awesome. I am thinking about upgrading the existing engine to a 290 and making my SHS into DHS. Or I can keep the engine where it is, fit DHS, and put more weapons on it.

#11 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Well I broke down and got DHS. I ended up trying out four PPCs, and it seems to work alright. It won't hold its own, it's more of a support 'mech. I have 3 PPCs at the trigger, the 4th one in the arm as a second group, and all four as a third group. There's a medium pulse laser in the head, which I rarely use, and an active probe, which seems to help a lot with getting target info faster.

Firing 3 PPCs, waiting a few seconds, then firing again, seems to work great. It's the equivalent of sending dual gauss down range, but without running out of ammo. 4 PPCs hit hard too, like sending dual AC/20s down range.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 25 November 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#12 Theaus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia, United States

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

I run four of the EX PPC and I can ruin a raven's day with one hit with a little bit of luck, 17 heat sink too

#13 Bident

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I just made mistake switching to DHS on my awesome 8q,
my setup was 7ML 44SHS (9 of that is from engine 240) with HE 1.54
now it is: 7ML 19DHS (9 engine 240) HE 1.19

now i have 25 tons free,and dont know what to do with it ?

#14 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostBident, on 26 November 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

I just made mistake switching to DHS on my awesome 8q,
my setup was 7ML 44SHS (9 of that is from engine 240) with HE 1.54
now it is: 7ML 19DHS (9 engine 240) HE 1.19

now i have 25 tons free,and dont know what to do with it ?

Beef up your engine. It'll not only speed you up, but it'll give you room for a few more HS besides.

#15 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

You could also turn your medium lasers into medium pulse lasers.

#16 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 26 November 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

You could also turn your medium lasers into medium pulse lasers.

This is a good idea. The MPL's are great for getting damage to a location faster; if you're having trouble keeping an MLAS on target MPL's work great. A word of caution though regarding range: MPLs do full damage out to 180m, so lower damage out to 360. Medium lasers on the other hand do full damage out to 270m, decreasing to 0 after 540.

I'm mentioning this because even with a 290 rated engine (max for the 8q chassis) your speed (and therefore your ability to close with an enemy) isn't anything to write home about, and that hampers the effectiveness of pulse lasers in general. Rather than tossing out the mpl's though, test! If you find you can get to within 180m of an enemy fine, then roll with pulses if they make you feel jolly.

If you have free tonnage though (Bident!), I would heartily recommend a large laser or two. 1 large laser is 7 heat, 9 damage out to 450m. This is 1 less heat than 2 medium lasers, for 1 less damage. Many people underestimate the capacity of a large laser to mess up faces. Up to you though.

I also like to mix lasers entirely, and bind weapons groups to ranges. Group 1; large laser(s), for long range. Group 2; 2 or 3 medium lasers, for medium range. Group 3, medium pulse lasers, for close range meltiness. Takes the guesswork out of deciding which weapons to fire a bit, and can help with heat management.

#17 Bident

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Thx for the tips,
but my worry is HE like i said with 7ML and DHS its only 1.19 - lets say i put biggest engine 290 that give me 3 more HS ,then i think it will be like 1.28 if i am correct ,which is not so bad + speed boost.
Then i am left with 18 tons and HE 1.28 - here come my trouble from now on HE can only go DOWN ,there is no more slots for DHS ,I cun switch only 3ML for 3LS without removing any DHS i did that with stock engine 240 (still saving money for 290 engine) and HE is now 1.06 (i think it will be oround 1.15 with 290 engine),which leave me with 7 more tons to spare,switching those 4ML with 4MPL is not the option with allready low HE.

Am i doing something wrong or what?

(i am not Alpha stike adict,always use minimum 3 weapons group but i like to be able to fire more then 3 times my weapons in tricky situations)

Edited by Bident, 27 November 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#18 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

My 8V ran a 275 engine, three lard lasers, three SRM 6's, took off half a ton of armor from each leg, and filled out the rest of the weight with double heatsinks. Very lethal in a 1vs1.

#19 NebuHSV

Rookie

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRingsberg, GER

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

My thoughts with 8q:

300std
Endo steel

4 LPL (torso)

18 DHS (6 mounted)

anything against this build?

edit: this isn t really for cred farming, so the topic isn t the right one but can someone say something about this build, please?

my thoughts:
4 LPL is 40 dmg with 29,2 heat
7MPL is 42 dmg with 35 h
but range i with the LPL

Edited by NebuHSV, 12 February 2013 - 04:39 AM.

#20 NebuHSV

Rookie

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRingsberg, GER

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

My thoughts with 8q:

300std
Endo steel

4 LPL (torso)

18 DHS (6 mounted)

anything against this build?

edit: this isn t really for cred farming, so the topic isn t the right one but can someone say something about this build, please?

my thoughts:
4 LPL is 40 dmg with 29,2 heat
7MPL is 42 dmg with 35 h
but range is with the LPL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users