So.. How's Everyone Enjoying The Pink Pogostick Poor-Man's Atlas (Aka, Heavy Metal)?

151 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

I find they make delightful targets! I especially love when those slow, cumbersome, thunder-thighed Barbie-Mechs actually tries to pop tart or pretend those overweight JJs actually make ok Bertha maneuverable! You can hear them groan under the strain half the map away, lol.

Though I could see the choice of color making them a mech of choice with some of the Light Pony lads and lasses.

What's your take on Heavy Metal? (seems more like the kind wearing the Winger tshirt on Beavis and Butthead than actual heavy metal. I think the devs are letting their age show with these "Ode to 80s Hair-Metal" mecha, like Heavy Metal and Pretty Baby.

Your opinions?

#2 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Haven't had too much memorable contact with them yet, surprisingly. They explode others or are exploded by others much the same as other assault mechs. Haven't heard the kill music yet, though. They oughta turn up the radius on that.

Edited by Noobzorz, 03 April 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#3 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

POOR MANS ATLAS ? I am not sure your definition is what most peoples' is.It costs as much as the "Complete Game" back when MW3 and MW4 were released :)

#4 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

I'm loving mine. I am having great success with it and I don't even have access to Elite or x2 Skills with it for another two weeks!

Of course the very first thing I did with it was pull out the XL engine and LRM15.

#5 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Poor man? Does your MC not cost anything....?

#6 Aim-Bot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...beta-explained/

read this and you know what i think about your post.
go down to my second post

Edited by KuritaGuard, 03 April 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

@Green Mamba

"poor man's" seldom refer to actual cost, but performance, especially performance COMPARED to cost. My observation of MWO's very own Barbie Corvette is it is just as slow and clumsy as an Atlas (they seem to turn and track poorly), but by being 10 tons lighter, with 6tons invested in the JJs to boot, you have less armor, less usable firepower and less heat dissapation. All so one can hop like an arthritic septuagenarian.

Seems a poor trade off.

#8 Aim-Bot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yes i got Heavy Metal and making 450-800 demage mostly. i am happy thx for asking

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Compared to the 800-1200 a DDC can easily average. Cool. So Heavy Metal is averaging the same damage I get out of YLW and Flame. Totally worth it.

#10 Krubarax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 329 posts
  • LocationGBG, Sweden

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Love mine!
I second what user above me (KuritaGuard) posted! :)

Edited by GB Krubarax, 03 April 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#11 Nonsense

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

I wouldn't exactly call it the "poor man's atlas" when they cost more than any other mech...lulz.

#12 Megasa Ward

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 April 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

I find they make delightful targets! I especially love when those slow, cumbersome, thunder-thighed Barbie-Mechs actually tries to pop tart or pretend those overweight JJs actually make ok Bertha maneuverable! You can hear them groan under the strain half the map away, lol.

Though I could see the choice of color making them a mech of choice with some of the Light Pony lads and lasses.

What's your take on Heavy Metal? (seems more like the kind wearing the Winger tshirt on Beavis and Butthead than actual heavy metal. I think the devs are letting their age show with these "Ode to 80s Hair-Metal" mecha, like Heavy Metal and Pretty Baby.

Your opinions?

This cracked me up man, I'll be the first metal owner with a sense of humor. You had me snorting.

My thoughts? It works out pretty good. The jets are more useful than they seem on some maps/situations. Hardpoints lacking at the moment, but putting all the guns in the arms gives a distinct advantage in some cases too.

I bought it mostly because I like the color/kill music though.

Edit: Oh! And Highlander Burial plus music in a couple weeks. :)

Edited by Megasa Ward, 03 April 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#13 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 April 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Compared to the 800-1200 a DDC can easily average. Cool. So Heavy Metal is averaging the same damage I get out of YLW and Flame. Totally worth it.

Devil's advocate here. Are your DDC numbers before or after the splash damage hotfix?

Also I know you can't resist a pink Highlander Bishop. Make all the reasons you want, EVERYBODY wants a Highlander, especially you!

EDIT: All those who jump constantly around like skill-less noobs need to reconsider their lifestyle as Highlander pilots. Just because someone's firing on you and your jump meter is full does not mean you have to jump.

Edited by Shazarad, 03 April 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

That's cool. I'm glad they are selling. Seem to face against or drop with at least 1 every single drop. Can't claim to really be a Highlander fan though, for any variant. I'll take a Victor and better mobility any day. But to each their own.

#15 Aim-Bot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 396 posts

Your opinions?

erm yes. you complain just to complain right?

1. Its Rhonda Snords Mech and they designed it like it was described in the Battletech universe. you would know if you read this forum....

2.This month we get costumizable hero mechs.

3.This topic is useless

Edited by KuritaGuard, 03 April 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

@Kurita Guard

Did yours come with matching panties to get in a twist?
(gotta love people who are OH SO SERIOUS about their stompy robots)

@ Shazarad
Pre. I haven't been on much the last 6 weeks, been diving in Mexico, so only have access thru my laptop and Starbucks WiFi. Haven't barely touched my primary account because of that. Been playing a new free account instead, using trial mechs. This morning I didn't have to share bandwidth with anyone and actually had double digit FPS..... and 2 of my whopping 4 kills today were Heavy Metals. In a trial Centurion.

And idk if I will get a Highlander bro. Thought I would like the Stalker, too slow. Never drive Atlases anymore. If I can't break 70 kph, don't really plan to drive it (with the exception being an Urbanmech). More power to anyone who does like em tho. At least as long as they got a sense if humor.

@Megasa..... Cheers! People who can laugh, especially at themselves are welcome anytime!

#17 Mr Friday

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Firstly, yes. I am enjoying my Highlander. Thanks for the consideration. :)

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 April 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

...with 6tons invested in the JJs to boot...

Actually stock it comes with 5 jump jets, each weight 2 tons. That'll be 10 tons overall.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Wow.

Really broke canon on that feature (of course they did with the 12 JJ Spider, too). Should mount 3 JJ at 2 tons each. Odd.

#19 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 April 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

(gotta love people who are OH SO SERIOUS about their stompy robots)

Says the one with Steiner in there name, over 3500 posts, legendary founder, and that their location is in the lyran commonwealth.

Sounds like your the "OH SO SERIOUS" one to me.

but any how, I'm liking the mech for what it is. Rhonda Snords Highlander.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

why so serious?!?!?!?

Lolz. Sounds like you read way too much into things, and with poor reading comprehension to boot then. I can categorically state I don't take this game serious..... I smile every time I shoot someone else in it!

And there is a huge difference between enjoying something, and taking it "way to serious". I would actually say I take it way too ... Un serious. Unlike mr scowl-y pants here!

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users