17 replies to this topic

#1 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:53 AM

I just wondered what happens when a part of the torso is "destroyed" and you keep shooting it? Arms that are destroyed fall off, and can't be hit any more, but the torso section is still visible and attached to the mech. I don't think nothing happens when you keep shooting it, so is it like an open wound at that point that will now do critical damage to the center torso if you keep hitting it? What about a destroyed leg? Should you keep aiming for a destroyed left or right torso or leg?

#2 Sathaless

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

The way I understand it is if you hit a destroyed body part, 50% of the damage you would have done is transferred to the adjacent body part. So if you hit a destroyed arm on a Cent, it'll still do damage to the adjacent torso, but not as much as if you hit the torso directly.

#3 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

So does that 50 percent damage go to center torso internals directly, or to center torso armor?

Edited by Mcchuggernaut, 25 August 2013 - 03:51 AM.

#4 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:12 AM

If you still have armor left in the CT, the damage transfers to its armor, it goes on the internals only when you're stripped of armor.

So sometimes it's a good idea to "tank" damage with torsoes or arms that have been destroyed especially if you still have armor left in the CT (it's like taking 50% dmg less in the CT).

#5 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 25 August 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

If you still have armor left in the CT, the damage transfers to its armor, it goes on the internals only when you're stripped of armor.

So sometimes it's a good idea to "tank" damage with torsoes or arms that have been destroyed especially if you still have armor left in the CT (it's like taking 50% dmg less in the CT).

Thank you! That was just the information I was looking for. So I should turn my destroyed side torso to an enemy when I still have armor on my center, and shouldn't shoot at the destroyed sides of a mech unless they are nearly cored. Got it.

#6 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

This is precisely what makes Centurions and Stalkers so durable btw.

Just look at the hitboxes!

From the front the only reliable way to hit a Stalkers CT is to shoot it in the box between the legs.

#7 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Please don't hit the box between my legs...

It makes it hard to walk and gives me a high, squeeky voice.

Takes a few minutes for the effect to wear off.

I gotta start wearing a cup...

:)

#8 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostMcchuggernaut, on 25 August 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

Thank you! That was just the information I was looking for. So I should turn my destroyed side torso to an enemy when I still have armor on my center, and shouldn't shoot at the destroyed sides of a mech unless they are nearly cored. Got it.

Yep, this mechanic can let you obtain a much longer than expected survivability, but consider that experienced players will keep going for your CT or as scJazz said, go for it even when you torso twist by shooting in the crotch. So with stalkers you also have to remember to turn the legs and expose them to the shooter (this with a 3F, the others have so limited torso twist that will deny you this move).

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

Note that if you are missing an arm and a side torso, shooting the remaining arm-stub goes through TWO steps of 50% damage reduction for a total of 75% reduction. Shoot the CT itself (via crutch or butt shots) or go for the legs.

Don't waste damage by shooting a Centurions's shoulder nub!

#10 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

I actually run a Stalker-3f for the extra torso twist and the extreme durability. I am constantly amazed by how much damage it can take and how fast I can core someone, and careful piloting and understanding things like this should only help me improve that durability. My main problem with it is that all stalkers but one have no center torso weapons, and I sometimes live so long I find myself without both side torsos, which also takes off the arms. Then, i'm basically a harmless walking torso. I feel a bit like this guy:

#11 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostMcchuggernaut, on 25 August 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

I actually run a Stalker-3f for the extra torso twist and the extreme durability. I am constantly amazed by how much damage it can take and how fast I can core someone, and careful piloting and understanding things like this should only help me improve that durability. My main problem with it is that all stalkers but one have no center torso weapons, and I sometimes live so long I find myself without both side torsos, which also takes off the arms. Then, i'm basically a harmless walking torso. I feel a bit like this guy:

lulz... oldie but a goodie!

The thing about that is frequently the enemy doesn't know that your toothless. I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen people shooting at a completely toothless Stalker (BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T USE LOCK)! Got no teeth left... head for the enemy base! Any time you spend alive from the moment that you are no longer a threat is bonus time for your team!

Make 'em earn it!

#12 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:41 AM

Problem is, anyone with experience knows an armless Stalker is defenseless 4 out of 5 times. I would be willing to take that chance. I did survive a game today where I got 3 kills, but lost both arms and tosos. I was on Terra Therma, so I ran off to the very edge of the map, shut down, and waited for the match to end giving my team advice and location updates while spectating. I survived and we won. Satisfying.

#13 Rhakhas

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

View PostMcchuggernaut, on 25 August 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

i'm basically a harmless walking torso.

Well... you can still ram people...

I was in a game a couple weeks ago where a toothless Stalker ended the match by ramming an Atlas to death.
It was awesome.

#14 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostRhakhas, on 26 August 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

Well... you can still ram people...

I didn't think that did any damage? And I hear you could knock people over before. Why did they take that out of the game?

#15 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Because it turned Mechwarrior into Demolition Derby.

But you do damage by ramming, pitiful damage, and the bigger object tends to hurt the smaller object more. So if in a light be very careful of this technique.

#16 BlacKcuD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationmwo-builds.net

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostscJazz, on 25 August 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

This is precisely what makes Centurions and Stalkers so durable btw.

Just look at the hitboxes!

From the front the only reliable way to hit a Stalkers CT is to shoot it in the box between the legs.

That is actually the secret to bringing Stalkers and especially Centurions down quickly. Imagine they are wearing a belt and hit the belt's buckle (aka their crotch). Shooting already destroyed shoulders is not a good idea since they will laugh at you as they live even longer!

#17 Heketon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostMcchuggernaut, on 26 August 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

I didn't think that did any damage? And I hear you could knock people over before. Why did they take that out of the game?

I was running a Catapult A1 with no launchers left. I was the last one playing and decided to cap the base. An enemy Cataphract came up to defend, but ran out of ammo. I decided to attemt DFA (death from above) and used my jump jets to drop on him.

I almost did enough damage with my poorly aimed jumps to break his right torso before the timer ran out on the game.

Good times. Good times. :)

#18 Joe Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

I run the 3F a lot, and find myself toothless as you put it. I head for cap, at least I split the team. I have also run interference for other mechs putting myself in the way of a light capping. Sometimes makes the difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users