Dire Wolf Build - The Growler

3 replies to this topic

#1 ManOpeace

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

Ok so I searched for this build on the forums and haven't seen it. I'm surprised, is this just an obvious build or something?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...485c885b4cb45ee

I apologize if this gets posted tons.

Basically, I wanted to make a dire wolf that could use gauss. I've tried AC builds, and I've done well in them. Then... I tried THIS BUILD. My god, the difference is night and day. Just today I achieved my first 1k+ match (1400 damage 5 kills 5 assists).

This mech has it all:

2 gauss
2 ER-LL
6 ER-LL
4 Machine guns

Ok so its missing AMS and ECM... you got me.

Most of the damage comes from weapons that reside in the arms. I know what you're thinking. I have never lost BOTH arms before. Your opponent has to saw through as much armor as your center torso has to declaw you. That is a lot of attention. I honestly love people that go for my arms. Take one off, yeah I'm only doing 40 damage alphas now (more often to boot). Unless you're caught out of position or against a entire lance VS you, the time it takes for them to take your arms means they will be without armor, and you can still use the machine guns. But again I'll stress, I've never lost both arms using this build.

At long range you use your gauss and large lasers (obviously). You can use the large lasers extensively by itself, or you have the option to blast all your lasers should you be below 25% heat.The Burst damage is ridiculous, 80 damage on a target within medium laser range!!!! You even have enough heat after the alpha to blast the large lasers with your 2nd round of gauss, allowing for a followup strike of 50 damage.

At this point, whatever is not dead is now without armor. Forget about your lasers and heat and focus on using your gauss and machine guns. I've thrown enough heatsinks on this to allow for decent heat dissipation, allowing for more frequent 80 damage alphas. If you're more of a sniper guy, then ditch some heat sinks/leg armor for more gauss ammo.

I haven't even gotten this thing elited and its a monster. Land the gauss and turn on all your lasers, so long as your aim is true any mech in the game will either be dead or close to it.

Light/mediums movin fast on ya? Use the lasers to slice up their legs. you would be surprised to see how little time it takes for a 50 damage laser beam to saw through even a fresh light's leg. I've had lights surround me, felt like I was going to die. Once I slammed my back into a corner, there was nothing for them to do. None of them wanted to peek out to take even a quick poke at me after I one shotted a couple of their lancemates.

70 Gauss ammo is plenty to make it through a round if you're landing at least 80%+ of your shots. After you've expended 70 rounds everyone should be dead or close to it.

This build is at home in any position on the battlefield, in a brawl or at range. However, it excels at medium/long range best as a 2nd or 3rd line mech.

Edited by ManOpeace, 12 November 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#2 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

Dual gauss is for babies

#3 ManOpeace

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

View Posttheta123, on 13 November 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Dual gauss is for babies

Only the good die young.

#4 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

I have a laser vomit+gauss build I run too, its pretty damn strong. I've killed fresh heavies so quickly with this that they rage HARD about if afterwards:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dec8b1cbb326141

Last night I was in the tunnel on Crimson with this and right before I came out of it into the underpass a Catapult appeared in front of me--landed my entire alpha in his CT and then as he started backing up to get away I popped him in the CT again with the Gauss and he was done--probably 6 seconds at the most after I saw him.

I used to run both arms with the prime arm and 6 C-ERMLs but they're too hot now. The -A arm gives me good tracking on faster 'mechs as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users