Dev Feedback On Suggestions

9 replies to this topic

Poll: def feedback on suggestions (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support the OP's Suggestion?

1. Yes (12 votes [80.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. Abstain (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

The suggestion forum is nice, but I don't see any feedback from the devs on any of the suggestions (no posts in threads, no announcements / command chair, not in ask-the-devs, not in-game / patches ..)
Or am I blind?

I know it takes a lot of time even to read them; then you need to discuss them, see if they're realizable, are worth the effort, suit the whole (not only forum) community, yadda yadda

But no feedback at all? :angry:
Makes me feel like there's no strong relationship between the players and the devs, or, in other words, that "PGI doesn't care" (makes me feel != is the case)

Edit:
We can only make good suggestions if we know what good suggestions are. Currently, we cannot know that because there is no feedback.

Please please give us at least some feedback. Like:
  • we've read it and will discuss it, next response in two weeks (response can be "wait longer")
  • too difficult atm
  • flaws
  • meh, maybe change it a bit
Here some hints on how to deal with bad suggestions

And no, I don't see a reason to add a poll to this. If you do, just make a quick response or like the post.
I just remembered: by adding a poll, every vote will bump the thread back to front page m(

Edited by Phaesphoros, 05 April 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#2 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Garth will only respond if it's something that PGI can financially benefit from.

That's why the only suggestion that was pinned at the top of this forum is the one about how to generate more income.

I made a similar suggestion here and alot of people bumped over 2 months it but it wasn't recognized http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Perhaps they didn't want to see it.

Sad.

YES PGI I'M ASSUMING! PROVE ME WRONG!

Edited by TexAss, 05 April 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#3 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

I have noticed something very similar to this on the MechWarrior Tactics website

#4 MentalPatient

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

While I think it would be nice to hear feedback on suggestions from the devs, I see it as just another burden which they don't need. Imagine, someone puts forth their great pet idea, only to be shut down by the devs. But then the original poster goes on the offensive, defending their idea and why it can and must be implemented. That shouldn't happen, the devs are in no way obliged to either entertain our suggestions, nor to comment on them. The fact that they do, for me, is enough, I'm happy with the way it is and I don't think we need any more say in the process. If the devs can see there is a majority of people wanting a particular feature, it's in their best interest to implement them, but if they don't, they will likely have a good reason not to, and I don't see why they should have to justify themselves.

With the way it is, it is already much more open than most other game developments I know of.

Edited by MentalPatient, 05 April 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#5 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostMentalPatient, on 05 April 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

While I think it would be nice to hear feedback on suggestions from the devs, I see it as just another burden which they don't need. Imagine, someone puts forth their great pet idea, only to be shut down by the devs. But then the original poster goes on the offensive, defending their idea and why it can and must be implemented. That shouldn't happen, the devs are in no way obliged to either entertain our suggestions, nor to comment on them. The fact that they do, for me, is enough, I'm happy with the way it is and I don't think we need any more say in the process. If the devs can see there is a majority of people wanting a particular feature, it's in their best interest to implement them, but if they don't, they will likely have a good reason not to, and I don't see why they should have to justify themselves.

With the way it is, it is already much more open than most other game developments I know of.

I would be happy to see a indicator at the bottom of the topic which shows me that they at least looked into it and read it.

Something like "following users read this topic:"

Edited by TexAss, 05 April 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#6 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

While I think it would be nice to hear feedback on suggestions from the devs, I see it as just another burden which they don't need.

What I think currently is done:
  • Someone posts a suggestion
  • Players discuss and poll
  • PR/Forum/Community-whatsoever will read (some) suggestions, sort some out and pass them on to the devs
  • Devs review, discuss, sort out etc. (+ management + other layers)
Then, the suggestion will be either accepted or declined. But we don't get any feedback past point 2. IF there was any short quick feedback, that would be done by the forum staff (not the game devs).

Imagine, someone puts forth their great pet idea, only to be shut down by the devs.

Currently, it'll just sink into oblivion. I'd be happy to hear "that won't work because ABC" or "too complicated atm, propose again in 1/2 year" or even "not worth the effort, collect more votes/likes and we might think about it again". It could improve the (constructiveness of) suggestions as people would get a feeling about what's possible, feasible, worth it and so on. If suggestions are not important, then there's no reason for this subforum besides keeping the community calm and suggestions out of General Discussion / Patch Feedback.

But then the original poster goes on the offensive, defending their idea and why it can and must be implemented. That shouldn't happen [...]

Yes, and I think that's a reason why there's no feedback at all currently. But I'm not happy with that. There is already a lot of QQ in GenDisc, and if there's some more in Suggestions, who cares. After the devs have responded, you could even close the suggestion. Open a new one if you revised your idea. You can spam in GenDisc as well, you'll get a ban or whatever.

If the devs can see there is a majority of people wanting a particular feature, it's in their best interest to implement them, but if they don't, they will likely have a good reason not to, and I don't see why they should have to justify themselves.

I'm not talking about justification. That's one of the most useful forms of feedback. Prepare a small set of standard responses. If a suggestion has been discussed, there's already a reason why it's been accepted/declined. (If they're smart, they'll write the reason down / archive it.) Forward it to the community staff, they'll chose one of the standard responses (maybe plus a short remark) and post it.

We can only make good suggestions if we know what good suggestions are. Currently, we cannot know that because there is no feedback.

Edited by Phaesphoros, 05 April 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#7 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

shameless *bump* for other time zones

#8 Elementary3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationKharkov, Ukraine

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Totally agree.
Looks like devs not interested in players suggestions at all.

#9 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Some of this could ameliorated in the "Ask the Dev's" threads, but they do not answer everything there, either.

#10 Alois Hammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostPhaesphoros, on 05 April 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Forward it to the community staff, they'll chose one of the standard responses (maybe plus a short remark) and post it.

They already have standard responses:

"We aren't discussing whether you want it or not, give us suggestions on how to implement it since we're going to anyway."
"That was our view at the time."
"It was misunderstood."
"It is working as intended."
"Soon™."

:P

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users